One comics creator I follow, Lars Brown, mentioned somewhere that he had submitted a comic entry to a global Shounen Jump contest, though he half-jokingly added he had about a 0% chance of winning. Apparently this was a contest where anyone from around the world could enter, as 1400 entries were screened and the editors from Jump's office in USA, China, Japan or Taiwan narrowed the winners down to 6. Keep your eyes peeled, one of these might be popping up in a print edition soon.
Here's a link to the English page with the 6 finalists. You can also read them in the original Japanese or Chinese, and then vote on your favorite. Here were the six that I saw:
- Golden Rabbit by Nick Kanoza: A boy tries to chase down a leprecaun/rabbit to get his gold and cure his friend's crippling condition.
- Sweat Man by Fei Zi Xuan: A schoolboy who has the superpower of...explosive sweat.
- El Viento Del Norte by Niu Zai: A sexy swordswoman defeats a corrupt sheriff in the Old West.
- The Team Before Daybreak by Yu Yan Shu: A vampire on the battlefields of World War One.
- Morning Star by Aitor Holgado: A young adventurer and his older companion explore a dungeon.
- BOOM by "Docurro": The adventures of a streetwise bomb expert in a world where everything is bombs.
Also, a link to Mr. Brown's entry, New Hobart.