Watch & Learn: TRIGUN #16

Topic started by No_name_here on Dec. 19, 2010. Last post by EganTheVile1 3 years, 8 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
 It really shouldn&squot;t have taken expert "gunmanship" for this to happen.
 It really shouldn't have taken expert "gunmanship" for this to happen.

OK, if I ever hear an otaku poo-poo superhero comics for having laughable costumes, I’m going to pull this right up and freeze frame through the introductions of every single villain in this anti-Vash posse. I don’t mind it too much, actually. I’m embracing the color of it, but if the E.G. Mine dude ever wore that get-up in reality, he wouldn’t get past three steps before falling flat on his face.

That aside, the show’s back to what I liked about it, with this great escalating gag of Vash’s would-be assassins getting in eachother’s way.

“You can’t kill him! I’m going to kill him!”

And then he goes around town, threatening everybody to fear the horrible mass murdered he’s purported to be. It’s like a Daffy Duck cartoon. I love it.

One of you maniacs, I forget whom, suggested I would probably dislike Legato the same way I disliked Vicious and I’m definitely starting to feel like you were right. Again, I think the psychic-domination-forced-suicide gimmick is a cool one, but whatever kind of brooding brownie points he wins for that gets quickly negated whenever I see his torture device shoulder pad. Hell, I'm not even one to write a character off as "emo" when he indulges in some introspective monologue. But that outfit...

And holy crap did things go AKIRA by the end when Vash’s techno-organic  "angel arm" appeared and he started blowing up cities and carving up the face of the Moon (though sadly not to graffiti his name like Chairface tried to in THE TICK.) I might not know what the hell was going on then, but I'm pleased that Vash has finally lived up to his name. He's a walking natural disaster! How will the girls follow him now that the insurance company no longer covers his damages?

Watch this episode, “Fifth Moon”,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.    

  
  

  Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by gla55jAw (109 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Tom Pinchuk 

One of you maniacs, I forget whom, suggested I would probably dislike Legato the same way I disliked Vicious and I’m definitely starting to feel like you were right.

Yup. I knew it was going to happen. Although I will say he does redeem himself in a later episode a bit. He is pretty cruel to Vash.
Post by darfox8 (25 posts) See mini bio Level 6
E.G. Mine was also sorry in the manga so I always wondered if he was suppose to be more silly than the rest of the Gung Ho Guns. Like, if the creators made a distinction between his silly costumes and Legatos, even though they're both probably equally silly.
 
Next episode is the origin story and after that it's kind of a sprint till the end. Or at least there's a clearer end point or objective to this show.
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Worried you might not like Legato? Don't worry
 
I liked this episode, though I found the samurai guy kind of annoying.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@gla55jAw said:
" @Tom Pinchuk 

One of you maniacs, I forget whom, suggested I would probably dislike Legato the same way I disliked Vicious and I’m definitely starting to feel like you were right.

Yup. I knew it was going to happen. Although I will say he does redeem himself in a later episode a bit. He is pretty cruel to Vash. "
It might just be as simple as him tossing off that silly jacket...
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@darfox8 said:
" E.G. Mine was also sorry in the manga so I always wondered if he was suppose to be more silly than the rest of the Gung Ho Guns. Like, if the creators made a distinction between his silly costumes and Legatos, even though they're both probably equally silly.  
Whoever made this would have to be SERIOUSLY out of touch if his E.G. Mine's wasn't intended to be silly.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@ninjadude853 said:
" Worried you might not like Legato? Don't worry
 
I liked this episode, though I found the samurai guy kind of annoying. "
I think he was supposed to be intentionally annoying. Then again, I suspect I misjudge the intentions of a lot things in this.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I dunno, I always thought Legato's ridiculous outfit made him more unsettling/freaky/terrifying/pick your adjective.  Like, what would you rather fight, Hitler, or Hitler dressed as Bozo the clown?  I would rather fight regular Hitler every time.  Don't want to deal with the extra level of crazy.
Post by Terrents (13 posts) See mini bio Level 6

wtf was this article about. you really should work on your format when writing this stuff. it looks like your just rambling about anime. dont get me wrong. i completely agree with you. but it just seems like you started writing this and then decied to stop when you were out of things to say. also comparing anime to anime is silly. i mean all anime rips eachother off. the most oringal thing to come out in a long time was dragon ball z. and even that was a spoof to begin with :/
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@vergilius said:

" I dunno, I always thought Legato's ridiculous outfit made him more unsettling/freaky/terrifying/pick your adjective.  Like, what would you rather fight, Hitler, or Hitler dressed as Bozo the clown?  I would rather fight regular Hitler every time.  Don't want to deal with the extra level of crazy. "

Let's phrase it  differently... would you be as intimidated by him if he had a mullet?
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@Terrents said:
" wtf was this article about. you really should work on your format when writing this stuff. it looks like your just rambling about anime. dont get me wrong. i completely agree with you. but it just seems like you started writing this and then decied to stop when you were out of things to say. 
That's kind of the idea. These are just my thoughts as I watch. I'd hate to continue it after I ran out of things to say, you know... heh heh...
 also comparing anime to anime is silly. i mean all anime rips eachother off. the most oringal thing to come out in a long time was dragon ball z. and even that was a spoof to begin with :/ "
What would better to compare an anime to than another anime?
Post by Mrnitropb (1 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Tom_Pinchuk: Can you please explain to me why, as a writer for what is supposed to be part of a burgeoning media site empire...thing, you are embedding illegally hosted copies of the work you are writing about? When the entire series is available on Hulu and a few other legal, licensed sites, why embed the Youtube? Why embed the episode at all? 
 
It just seems like something good journalists for good sites just aren't supposed to do. Please fill me in on how I might be mistaken. 
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
@mrnitropb:  Last I checked, Funimation wasn't an illegal operation...?
Post by WarlordPayne (33 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@mrnitropb: You probably should have checked out the Youtube vid and made sure that it actually was illegal before you started talking shit.
Post by Amish_Joe (2 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Terrents said:
" wtf was this article about. you really should work on your format when writing this stuff. it looks like your just rambling about anime. dont get me wrong. i completely agree with you. but it just seems like you started writing this and then decied to stop when you were out of things to say. also comparing anime to anime is silly. i mean all anime rips eachother off. the most oringal thing to come out in a long time was dragon ball z. and even that was a spoof to begin with :/ "
Dragon Ball Z was not a spoof. It was a continuation of the story line from Dragonball. Dragonball was a re-working of Journey to the West, a classic japanese folk tale. Ergo, Dragon Ball Z was neither a spoof nor was it original. 
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @vergilius said:

" I dunno, I always thought Legato's ridiculous outfit made him more unsettling/freaky/terrifying/pick your adjective.  Like, what would you rather fight, Hitler, or Hitler dressed as Bozo the clown?  I would rather fight regular Hitler every time.  Don't want to deal with the extra level of crazy. "

Let's phrase it  differently... would you be as intimidated by him if he had a mullet? "
This haunts my nightmares now.  Thanks.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Anti-Vash Posse? Cant you just call them the Gung-Ho Guns?
Top Editors
Top Posters
FoxxFireArt
24 posts
darfox8
20 posts
gla55jAw
18 posts
zaldar
14 posts
rubberluffy
14 posts
ninjadude853
12 posts
Lurkero
11 posts
sickVisionz
5 posts
SamJaz
5 posts
sotyfan16
5 posts
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel