The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya recently hit the cover of Newtype along with word about “something happening.” After all, Newtype is a Kadokawa-owned publication that publishes Haruhi stuff all the time, and Haruhi has a terrible, terrible track record of its “big announcements” being, well, dumb.
Especially after all the teases, starts, stops, and tears that went along with Haruhi second season, which turned out to be almost entirely consisting of the same episode eight times, it's amazing to me that fans are still (cautiously) excited about what might be going on.
The general consensus I've seen consists of the following possibilities:
- Announcing a third season and/or that the second season will be longer than fans anticipated (I know a few people who think that the E8 saga is evidence of this)
- More of Haruhi-chan and Tsuruya-san on YouTube
- Something completely minor, innocuous, or stupid
- Something even dumber, like an Endless Eight movie (I'm still pretty sure that guy was joking, though)
A couple of possibilities I haven't seen mentioned but that seem potentially plausible to me..
- News on the tenth volume of the light novel series, which has been put off for over two years now but no one seems to remember anymore
- Some other spinoff-- a new video game, manga, web series, etc.