The population grows desperate, and chaos runs wild in the streets. Crossing any bridge presents a world of problems for Komuro and Rei, while dissension among the ranks splits the bus group in two.
At an airfield in Tokonosu, an airliner attempts to take off, but the tarmac is littered with Them. Nearby, a sniper team, lead by Rika Minami systematically takes out the vagrant zombies until the runway is clear. The pair discuss the situation, and Rika says she intends to return to the city eventually because her friend is there.
Meanwhile on the school bus, the survivors are are lectured by Shido-sensei regarding how he feels they should move forward. The bus is in the middle of a slow moving exodus attempting to evacuate the city.
Elsewhere, Rei and Takashi race through the carnage of a handful of crazed survivors, shooting at anything that moves, human or one of Them. They head towards a bridge where other evacuees are, hoping to meet up with their comrades.
At the bridge, the situation is barely under control as the police try to handle the frantic civilians and hold back the undead menace. A group of students break through the barricade only to be knocked off the bridge by a water cannon.
Shido continues to lecture the occupants of the bus, enthralling the survivors he escaped with in a cult-like fervor. Concerned with Takashi, and how things are going on the bus, Shizuka, Saya, Kohta and Saeko discuss their options.
When Takagi informs Shido that they have their own interests in mind and don't wish to be a part of his flock, he attempts to keep Shizuka on the bus under the pretense of requiring her skills, all the while licking his lips in anticipation. Kohta and his nail gun intercede and the group exit the bus.
On their own, the survivors become surrounded by Them. Rei and Takashi arrive on the scene and with the others they take care of the remaining threats. As night falls, Marikawa suggests they head over to a friend's place nearby to bunk up for the night.
Marikawa's friend's car turns out to be a military-grade Hummer, still secure from the disaster, but the complex is crawling with Them.
Points of Interest
- Tamija, Rika's partner, is introduced in this episode, but his fate is never shown in the anime series.
- The minor appearing character Hide is uncredited in the Japanese cast, but his English voice actor is listed as Blake Shepard. In the English dub, the girl with Hide calls him "Hide-chan". This is the only use of Japanese honorifics in the English production.
- The battle at the team's reunion is never shown in the manga. It was an uneventful meet up on the side of the road.
- Opening Theme: "HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD" by Kishida Kyodan and the Akeboshi Rockets
- Ending Theme: "Memories of days gone by" by Maon Kurosaki