A deadly virus is turning the world's population into walking corpses. While the world erupts into chaos around them, Takashi Komuro and his friends frantically search for a way to break free from the living dead. As the virus spreads throughout the school, how far must they go to escape the infected? Will they escape?
Hisashi Igō, Takashi Komuro, and Rei Miyamoto all run high up to the school's observatory to escape the zombies chasing them. After a brief moment of rest, the episode jumps back in time a bit to show how it all started: Takashi thought about skipping class during a normal school day as he sulks over losing his childhood friend Rei to the much-cooler Hisashi. Saya briefly appears to call him an idiot repeatedly for trying to run away from his problems and failing in class.
Outside at the front gate, a weird man with surprisingly strong arms bites one of the teachers. That teacher then catches the disease and begins biting other teachers. Soon enough, the disease eventually spreads to more parts of the school, even biting the man who tries to warn the others over the school's PA system. This causes a great panic as the students try to flee. The majority of them only run into the path of " THEM" as they try to escape, trampling, pushing and grabbing each other with reckless abandon as they try their best not to get bitten.
Takashi pulls Rei and Hisashi out of class and tries to escape, only to run into a zombified teacher. They stab him through the heart and twist his neck around, but he somehow still has the strength to bite Hisashi's arm before Takashi finally bashes his head in.
Back in the present, Hisashi starts coughing up blood and begs Takashi to kill him before he turns into one of THEM. However, Rei can't believe he would turn into a zombie and begs Takashi not to do it. Finally, Takashi makes the choice to finish him as he returns to life as one of THEM.
Points of interest
- Saeko Busujima appears this episode but has no spoken lines.
- Koichi Shidou appears briefly in this episode, but has no spoken lines.
- The girls', Toshimi and Misuzu, hair colors were switched from the manga version, as well as their positions.
- The the original manga, Takayama threw himself off of the school roof and not from a window.
- Opening Theme: "HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD" by Kishida Kyodan and the Akeboshi Rockets
- Ending Theme: "The Day You and the Sun Died" (君と太陽が死んだ日 Kimi to Taiyō ga Shinda Hi) by Maon Kurosaki