To start with, if nobody is aware of this anime, i will tell you the basic just of what the series is about. The 'death note' is a notebook that allows you to kill anybody you like just by writing their name into the notebook whilst picturing the face of the person. The death note has several rules to it these include:
- The human whose name is written in this note shall die.
- This note will not take effect unless the writer has the person’s face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.
- If the cause of death is written within the next 40 seconds of writing the person’s name,
- it will happen.
- If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.
- After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds
- The notebook shall become the property of the human world, once it touches the ground of (arrives in) the human world.
- The owner of the note can recognize the image and voice of the original owner, i.e. a God of death/Shinigami.
- The human who uses the notebook can neither go to Heaven nor Hell.
- If the time of death is written within 40 seconds after writing the cause of death as a heart attack, the time of death can be manipulated, and the time can go into effect within 40 seconds after writing the name.
- The human who touches the Death Note can recognize the image and voice of its original owner, a Shinigami, even if the human is not the owner of the note.
- The person in possession of the Death Note is possessed by a god of death, its original owner, until they die.
- If a human uses the note, a god of death usually appears in front of him/her within 39 days after he/she uses the note.
- Gods of Death, the original owners of the Death Note, do not do, in principle, anything which will help or prevent the deaths in the note.
- A Shinigami has no obligation to completely explain how to use the note or rules which will apply to the human who owns it unless asked.
- A Shinigami can extend their own life by putting a name on their own note, but humans cannot.
- A person can shorten his/her own life by using the note.
- The human who becomes the owner of the Death Note can, in exchange of half his/her remaining life, get the eyes of the Shinigami which will enable him/her to see a human’s name and remaining life span when looking through them.
- A god of death cannot be killed even if stabbed in his heart with a knife or shot in the head with a gun. However, there are ways to kill a Shinigami, which are not generally known to the Shinigami.
- The conditions for death will not be realized unless it is physically possible for that human or it is reasonably assumed to be carried out by that human.
- The specific scope of the condition for death is not known to the Shinigami, either. So, you must examine and find out.
These are not all the rules but the main and you get the idea of what the death note does.
So it all begins when a shinigami (god of death) named 'ryuk' drops his notebook into the 'human world' A young high school student, Light Yagami, finds the notebook on the floor and decides to kill off all criminals and become a 'god' of the 'new world' by getting rid of all evil. It later becomes battle to the death between the two greatest minds the world has between L and Light.
What is good about this anime is that you could take a side of either L, a very talented detective, or Light. L doesn't believe all criminals should be killed and works with police to stop light or aka 'Kira'.
I don't want to go into the entire series and say what i thought was best but i want to say what i thought about the death of L. After L dies, the anime seems to die a bit. I wouldn't mind if he died at the end of the series with Light but bringing Near into it was just like a smaller, younger version of L and i didn't like him at all really.
What i wanted to ask in this post, to the fans of death note, is what you think the ending should of been like. So an alternative ending? Or do you actually like the ending how it was, if so why do you think that?