Leon Weltall Gender:
Human (Spacenoid) Age:
177 cm (5'11") Weight:
75 kg (166 lbs) Rank/Title:
Esper, Spacenoid (somebody born on space colonies instead of the Earth) ESP Rating:
ESUF soldier and the exclusive test pilot of Nova-Tech's new YTF-177 Starhawk. Leon Weltall was born in 29th of February NC0042 in the L1 space colony called "Neo-Lichtberg". His parents were immigrants from the British Isles. Despite that Leon grew up in a relative well-being thanks to his father's trade business. Ever since young Leon had shown great interest in outer space and a certain sport called Pod Racing. Pods are tiny space vessels, practically little more than a rocket and a small cockpit. Racing with these in the vacuum of space was regarded the fastest sport known. He liked challenges and added with his interest in space Leon felt that Pod Racing was his calling. Through lot of practice and effort he managed to get into the 19th L1 Championship in NC0058. Leon was only 16 back then and he barely managed to compete the whole event, almost suffering a fatal accident when he got lost within the space debris. That was the start of his career. Following it Leon was seen on the L1 Championship's roster each year. He also went to other events like the long-range Grand Moon Race and once even tried the super-long-range Jupiter Tourney. His skills improved over the years drastically, winning the 33th Equator Sprint event in NC0062. Leon started to become a minor celebrity, especially in his colony. And then Space War One broke out...
[To be continued...]
Leon is a young Caucasian man in his 20s. He has short black hair (which the lighting occasionally gives a blueish tint) with sharp blue eyes. Fitting his job as a military pilot he has a light yet deceivingly robust build with about average height. In spite of being a commissioned officer Leon is rarely seen in his military fatigues, preferring to wear more casual clothes (albeit decorated with the Union's military emblem). On missions he wears his military-grade pilot suit which acts both as a pressurized G-suit and even a light armor. It can resist heat, radiation and even small caliber bullets. With few modifications and a vernier belt it can be turned into a space suit fit for escaping the damaged mech even in the hostile environment of outer space.
Leon wearing his pilot suit within the Starhawk's cockpit
Leon is an easygoing but strongly emancipated person. He lacks most of the discipline common for soldiers and while he does complete orders Leon prefers to do everything on his own way. Leon also likes danger and difficult or challenges often only make him more eager to do something. Leon is generally upbeat and friendly. He's rarely having a bad day and whatever the situation Leon never lets it to drag him down. Leon is the man of action and an incurable optimist. Whatever bad goes on he always looks for ways how to solve it. His hidden willpower is tremendous.
Leon was an accomplished Pod Racer and it translates for his skills as a mech pilot. In spite of barely having flown 1000 hours, Leon can pull off tricks that even experienced veterans thought to be impossible. This could be no less accounted for Leon's budding powers as an Esper. ESP is a not fully understood ability when pilots exhibit senses beyond the usual five. Leon can "feel" the space around him, can sense strong hidden emotions and occasionally even had premonitions of the future. ESP is also called Extra-Spatial Perception because it's theorized that Espers may have the limited ability to observe all dimensions, with the fourth being the axis of time itself.
Being member of the Earth Sphare Union Forces (ESUF or simply just "Union Forces") Leon also received physical training as a soldier. Albeit while he fought the aliens dozens of times with his Starhawk he has yet to experience combat with his own body.
- Nova-Tech VPRP-77S "Impact" Sidearm:
A compact, versatile yet rather powerful pistol designed by one of Nova-Tech's scientists. A ring-like plasma rail accelerates 10mm programmable metal slugs to fit various purposes. In this aspect the weapon is comparable to the Starhawk's Adaptive Rifle. While this is an overall excellent weapon Leon is somewhat reluctant using it.
Starhawk - King of the Stratosphere and Beyond
YTF-177 Ver. 7 "Starhawk" Type:
Prototype Transformable Frame (Real Robo) Manufacturer:
Nova-Tech Enterprises Dimensions:
- Height: 13.9 m (Combat Mode), 5.7 m (Starfighter)
- Width: 6.8 m (Combat Mode and Starfighter without the wings)
- Length: 9.2 m (Combat Mode), 21.0 m (Stafighter)
- Wingspan: 8.3 m - 19.1 m (variable position, Starfighter Mode)
77.7 metric tons (w/ standard load-out)Powerplant:
1 x Prototype Nova-Tech PCC-2500S Ultra-Compact Plasma Fusion Reactor, 2 x Auxiliary Nova-Tech SPC-222U Plasma Fusion Micro-ReactorsLocomotion:
Nova-Tech Electromagnetic Ligaments (patented by the Tesla-Leicht Institute, over 200 ligaments total)Propulsion:
2 x Experimental Nova-Tech PITS-1600A Plasma Drives, 18 x Nova-Tech PIT-177C Plasma Torches, 88 x Nova-Tech PIM-022F Plasma Verniers Stats:
- Strength: 10
- Structure: 5
- Firepower: 30
- Performance: 40
- Mobility: 20
- Energy Output: 25
- Sensors: 20
After a brief moment of peace a new threat approached the Earth. The aliens referred as the Abductors. They appeared without warning and made entire populations disappear. The military of the Earth Sphere Union found themselves in a precarious situation so they requested for a new rapid-response Mech. This heralded the beginning of the "Starhawk Project". Several companies volunteered, including the Nova-tech enterprises known for their cutting-edge plasma technology. They saw this project as a big break from their usual business with warship parts and spent enormous amount of money on the development. The result was the XTF-177, a lightweight transformable mech focusing on speed and firepower. The XTF-177 has countless innovations compared to the standard Union mechs. It ditched the old concept of guns, rockets and hydraulics thus feeding everything by one source: the energy that the mech generates. The XTF-177 was outfitted with a new ultra-compact Plasma Fusion Reactor which powered the entirely plasma-based weapons and pulse-torch propulsion system. The locomotion was accomplished with electromagnetic ligaments that saved another 30% on weight. The end result was a light and high-performance mech armed with all sorts of heat-based death.
[to be continued...]
- PIA-0007X Adaptive Rifle:
Primary weapon of the YTF-177 Starhawk. An experimental and surprisingly versatile rifle that can change its internal structure to fit multiple roles. The change is done partially via the pilot's conscious choice but the fine tuning is performed under the computer's control. So even if the rifle stays in the same mode the system may decide to tune it differently to fit the momentarily combat situation the best.
- Rifle Mode: The PIA-0007X's default mode, a large hi-powered plasma rifle, unleashing "bolts" of compressed super-hot gases at hypersonic velocities. The firepower can be adjusted to allow for higher rate of fire.
- Reaper Mode: Internal fins split the weapon's interior to 4 parts, effectively giving the rifle 4 barrels. In Reaper Mode the Adaptive Rifle shoots individually weak bolts of plasma at incredible rate of fire. Ideal against swarms of weaker enemies. Because the Buster Cartridge is incompatible with rapid-firing modes, inserting one transform this mode to "Buster Shotgun" which releases a spray of countless plasma bolt in an angle.
- Grenade Mode: The Adaptive Rifle releases a large and relatively slow-moving ball of concentrated plasma. On contact or at a pre-defined distance this ball of plasma explodes, damaging everything in the surroundings.
- Beam Mode: Instead of "bolts" of plasma the PIA-0007X releases its power as a single cohesive beam of plasmic energy. Within certain limits both the beam's width and duration can be adjusted. Thin, powerful and short-lasting beams are ideal for sniping while extending large and long-lasting beams are ideal for causing wide-spread destruction.
- Lance Mode: Instead of shooting plasma, the rifle generates a cohesive blade not unlike the plasma sabers. Compared to the latter, the Plasma Lance has at least twice as much power and with Buster Cartridge this is one of the Starhawk's strongest attacks.
- Railgun Mode: By attaching a special magazine the Adaptive Rifle's plasma rails can also shoot physical projectiles. This is ideal for atmospheric sniping where the air particles slightly interfere with the usual plasma weapons.
- Buster Cartridge: The Starhawk can store up to ten Buster Cartridges. These are large canisters filled with super-concentrated plasma and extra energy. Using these in conjunction with any but the Railgun Mode would greatly enhance the Adaptive Rifle's power, practically turning them into a whole different weapon. The names are: Buster Rifle, Buster Shotgun, Buster Grenade, Buster Beam and Buster Lance.
- PPB-7001E Anti-Ray Shield:
Special shield made from the same heat-resistant material as the internals of Plasma Reactors. In addition the shield is also reinforced with a moderate plasma field to deflect laser and particle beam weapons. While also somewhat useful against physical projectiles, the Anti-Ray shield was made with energy weapons in mind.
- TEW-177 Twin Pulse Blaster:
Pair of rapid-firing plasma weapons linked together at a turret on the mecha's crotch. The plasma blasters offer additional firepower and can add a cover fire while the Starhawk is using on of its slower weapon functions. In Starfighter Mode these blasters can be found on the machine's front offering suppressive firepower to the front.
- CIWS-E77 Pulse Vulcan:
Rapid-firing plasma weapon unleashing weak but still potent "pulses" of plasma. Found on the head this is generally used to intercept missiles or other light armored targets.
- ACCW-722 Plasma Sabers:
Compact hilts that emit "blades" of plasmic energy contained within electromagnetic fields. Plasma Sabers are used to compensate for the Starhawk's relative lack of strength in melee. The Starhawk can store up to four Plasma Sabers.
- FES-799 Plasma Field Emitters:
The legs of the Starhawk are outfitted with a plasma field for various purpose. In Starfighter Mode it aids the Anti-Ray Shield to form a barrier against micro-meteorite impacts and mitigate the effects of friction in the atmosphere. In mecha mode while serving the above function it also modulates the thursters and allows the Starhawk to perform more precise maneuvers. Last but not least the Plasma Field Emitters can be focused to be like leg-length Plasma Sabers, cutting through the opposition with the machine's kicks.
Abilities - Transformation:
The Starhawk sports an unique transformable design that allows it to switch between combat and fighter modes. The process is complex yet thanks to the strong electromagnets this performed in less than a second, giving little if any chance for the enemy to attack the Starhawk in mid-transformation.
- Starfighter Mode: Most thrusters and torch motors are focused on the back, offering the greatest possible acceleration. In this mode the mecha also extends a pair of wings to aid it in atmospheric combat and allow the machine to fly. Due to its speed and energy-efficiency the Starhawk is generally launched in this mode. On the other hand the Starfighter mode is relatively difficult to maneuver with. Its shape also locks the mecha's combat opinion to standard fighter tactics like dogfights.
- Combat Mode: The Starhawk assumes its standard humanoid shape, spreading out the torch motors everywhere for overall better mobility. As its name suggest this is the mecha's main mode of combat, allowing to use all of its weapons with complete freedom.
- Plasma Umbrella:
The Starhawk constantly emits a considerable yet overall weak plasma-electromagnetic field around its body. This supposedly exists to protect the Starhawk against micro-meteors in space and decrease the aerodynamic strain while in the atmosphere. But temporally this field can be manipulated to form a protective shield at the front, capable of withstanding even the Starhawk's own Plasma Rifle. Unfortunately this mode only exists for a few seconds so a few sponsors are questioning its usefulness. Regardless, Leon seems to be pretty fond of this feature. The field also has the side effect of absorbing electromagnetic waves, allowing some degree of stealth against radars. This can also put the Nova-Tech's intentions to doubt, questioning whether they truly developed this machine just to fight the aliens.
- Esper Navigation Interface (E.N.I.) :
Special system developed for tapping into the abilities of Espers like Leon. The system amplifies an Esper's brainwaves and transforms them into commands. As a result Leon can potentially control the entire mecha with his thoughts alone. Unfortunately it sounds easier in paper than reality. 100% control requires extreme focus and concentration which would put severe strain on Leon's mind. Thus generally E.N.I. is only used at 10-20% output, mostly aiding Leon in multitasking. E.N.I. is also an unique system that skips several steps in the standard programming. Instead of running scripts, Leon expresses his thoughts directly to the machine which will try to execute these at its best. This way the developers can learn a lot from Leon's piloting style and soon may achieve to create a program that can allow even regular pilots to fly the Starhawk. On the other hand this is a never-ending source of headache for the engineers as Leon tends to unconsciously rewrite the Starhawk's entire motion programming after each mission.
- Nova Dive
: Leon's secret trademark technique. Officially called Impulse-Driven Offensive Field Frontal Assault Maneuver (I.D.O.F.F.A.M.), this is an extremely powerful and reckless maneuver which practically turns the Starhawk into one gigantic weapon. Leon gains some distance while switching the mech into Starfighter Mode. Following that the combined power of the shield, the leg emitters and the plasma rifle generate a powerful dagger-shaped barrier of plasma energy around the machine while Leon proceeds to ram into the target at full power. This is the Starhawk's "secret" strongest attack. Albeit Leon needs to perform it with extreme caution. If the enemy is too tough the plasma barrier collapses before penetrating the target, crushing his machine with its own momentum. Nova Dive is something that can potentially destroy the enemy in one move. Yet if it fails that would likely mean Leon's own death.