Taking an idea from my fellow Vicer JJOR64
and his Super Duper Mini Reviews
, I decided to try my hand at chronicling the anime that I watch throughout the week with a small write up. These won't really be a review of the episode though, just a super short summary and things that I liked or disliked and special recognitions at the end.
I took a week off last week due to the Tsunami and this week, well I haven't watched any anime. I was bored on Saturday and decided to use a random number generator to tell my what I should watch from my Netflix queue. It ended up choosing the BBC version of Skins
, which I immediately fell in love with and have spent the last 5 days powering through (currently midway through season 4). I'll probably break the cycle on Thursday when I watch Naruto, which usually has a way of pulling me out of non-anime watching slumps.
WARNING SPOILERS BELOW
Rio - Rainbow Gate #8Summary
Rio defeats King in the battle to save Rina, but is forced to fight a new opponent who reveals a startling secret that shakes Rio to her core.Pros
- King ended up being a complete idiot, which was great.
- Watching Jack and Linda play Star Force was pretty cool.
- The story that they came up Rina and Cartia actually wasn’t that bad and it had me interested.
- Holy crap, card dealers are actually going to play a game of cards to determine the outcome of a Gate battle?!?!
- This was the best episode yet, no complaints from me.
- I’ve got a really bad feeling that the next episode will undo this whole storyline and make it some tragic misunderstanding that will corrected end in rainbows, lollipops and sunshine.
I wonder is she's actually poor and only owns one dress or is rich and owns like 20 of these identical dresses...
Dragon Crisis! #9Summary
Ai and Misaki stop by Ryuji’s apartment to drop of some treats but end up getting trapped in a Cursed Precious along with Eriko and Rose. With some assistance from Bianca, Ryuji works hard to find a way to get them out.Pros
- I enjoyed the cheesy horror movie aspects.
- Rose’s truth scene was cute.
- The axe murder had a cool look to him with the halfway sewed up mouth.
- Yay, Ai is back and she they made her hmm.. I guess you’d call it awkward at being nice.
- Seeing Ai beat the crap out of the bad for a few seconds made me want more of it.
- The story really didn’t need yet another unrequited love interest.
- Seeing Ai fight the axe murderer reminded me of a Freddy movie where a martial artists beats him up.
Naruto Shippuden #202Summary
Madara confront Naruto about how he turned Pain into traitor to the Akatsuki. Back at the Five Kage Summit, Team Hawk begins their assault on anyone foolish enough to get in their way.Pros
- Wow, where to start? My favorite arc of the series kicked off in grand fashion
- Suigetsu gets some decent combat screen time.
- Juugo goes psycho and puts up a fight.
- Shee and Darui finally come into action and are pretty impressive
- Sasuke is back to his days of, “If I’m in a chapter/episode, someone is probably getting their ass beat” ways.
- Some nice animation here and there.
- Samurai get sliced up.
- Danzo real talks everyone in a “the ends justify the means” type of way.
- The Raikage is awesome.
- I loved how everyone seemed prepped for Madara and as soon as he showed up it was instant clone, rasengan, wood jutsu, and Raikiri/Chidori
Paniponi Dash #26Summary
Class 1-C's air conditioner is on the fritz and the students try to find ways to stay cool.Pros
- The Little Red Riding Hood gone sci-fi hand puppet play was awesome.
- The action figure performance by Himeko where Becky was played by an Asuka Soryu doll had me laughing.
- A lot of good moe and service shots, the most out of the entire series, which is a nice way to end things.
- I love how nothing in this show is ever taken seriously and they are willing to do ANYTHING, logic be dammed, as long as they can spin a joke out of it.
- Serizawa in a Cobra costume was a nice touch.
- The only bone I have to pick with this episode, really every episode, is how low quality the animation is.
- Well, with this the series is over and I have another void in laugh out loud anime schedule.
They reeeeeaaaaaaaally need to make another season of this.
Rio - Rainbow Gate! #9Summary
Rio struggles to overcome her loss against Rina. Meanwhile, the Howard Resorts goes through a variety of changes and rebranding under Cartia’s administration Pros
- Super goofs Elvis and Orlin made their return.
- Seeing the owner dressed like a court jester was pretty funny
- They’ve yet to undue the reveal of Rio’s mom getting around
- Everything felt a little meh after the previous episode’s events.
Yabecchi and Hitoha attend an autograph session with the Pink Gachi Ranger, the 6th graders participate in field day, Hitoha cons a slick talking sweet potato salesman and Soujirou reminisces about the past.Pros
- The field day shenanigans were funny and I liked how they found a way to work in everyone’s quirks
- Soujirou’s flashback was cute
- I lol’d everytime that the sweet potato guy sang his song
- And with this, one of my favorite comedy series comes to a close and now I have a void of it in my weekly watching habits.
Lucky Star #1Summary
Sit around and discuss a variety of topics from eating pasteries to the flu.Pros
- The show is very cute
- The omake section was hilarious
- I like how it’s aware of anime and its tropes
- The first 10-15 minutes are completely joke/gag free
- Not counting the omake, I think I chuckled maybe three times in the entire episode
- It’s almost like the “humor” in LS is supposed to be how not funny it is and how the show rarely ever attempts to be funny.
- I’m not sure how far I will go with this. I’d always heard that this was similar to Paniponi Dash and Hayate no Gotoku, but I don’t see it at all outside of minor things like all three being anime that take place in high schools and have girls in them... which would make Evangelion and Bleach similar as well.
Naruto Shippuden #203Summary
Madara explains the history of the Uchiha clan to Naruto. Back at the Five Kage Summit, Sasuke continues his battle against the Raikage but is interrupted by Gaara.Pros
- I always enjoy hearing the history of the Uchiha and Madara revealed some thing that hadn’t already been said.
- The things that happened during Sasuke’s fight were interesting.
- The animation quality went back down to standard Shippuden levels and nothing in the fights looked as good as even the mundane parts of last week’s episode.
- I noticed in the preview that they’ve changed the Mizukage’s powers to look like mist and magma. My inner perv is a little upset that it no longer looks like the manga where she vomits up a room-filling amount of a creamy, white substance.
Bleeding eyeballs: always a sign that something awesome just happened or is about to
Awards and Honors
It's So Hard to Say GoodbyeIt was between Mitsudomoe and Paniponi Dash, but Paniponi wins out on this one. For 26 episodes Paniponi delivered some of the most nonsensical comedy I've seen since Animaniacs, perhaps even trumping that series, which is a feat. Along with it's comedy it threw in healthy dosed of moe and goofy fanservice that always brought a smile to my face. I hope and pray that they do a season 2 eventually.
Rio - Rainbow Gate #8
Wasn't Expecting That Rio - Rainbow Gate has never really been a strong show when it comes to story. It's never even tried to pass itself off of as that, which made this episode even more enjoyable than I expected going in. The Back story of Rio, Rina and Cartia actually had me pretty interested. On top of that, they didn't sacrifice all of the good things about the show to do it.