Taking an idea from one of my fellow Vicer ( JJOR64
) and his ( Super Duper Mini Reviews
), I decided to try my hand at chronicling the anime that I watch throughout the week with a small write up. These won't really be a review of the episode though, just a super short summary and things that I liked or disliked and special recognitions at the end.
I caught a pretty rough cold this week which made my eyes too sore to read, so this week was pretty light on anime watching. When I got better, I ended up playing Civilization 5
and lost two days in that.
WARNING SPOILERS BELOW
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 #10
Summary: The school festival is coming up and Haruhi decides that the SOS Brigade should make a movie
- I got more laughs from this episode than any of the other ones in Season 2 and it reminded me of what I enjoyed when I watched the first season.
- If this movie turns out as awesomely terrible as the one from last season this should be pretty good.
- The more I watch the more I start to realize that Haruhi is kinda an arrogant self-righteous bitch, which makes her slightly less funny.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 #11
Summary: The SOS Brigade starts filming their movie.
- The crowd gathering around the SOS while they were filming were saying and doing a lot of things that made me laugh.
- Like episode #10 I’m reminded of what I enjoyed about the series when I first saw it years ago, but....
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 #12
- … every scene is giving me deja vu from season 1 and I feel like I’ve seen this exact episode and these exact jokes years ago.
Summary: During the SOS’ film shoot, an unexpected occurence takes place which causes everyone to worry.
- Haruhi shot up an old man at a temple with a BB gun, which I found hilarious
- I stopped bitching about another possible Endless 8 and could enjoy this a lot more.
- Asahina actually shooting lasers from her eye was pretty cool.
- Someone finally put Haruhi in her place a little bit.
- I can’t think of anything.
- The show is lighthearted, but I like to think that off camera everyone is struggling with their existence and are emotional train wrecks, possibly even near suicidal.
I like how the little kid almost seems like he's frightened this
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 #13
Summary: Kyon and Haruhi have a falling out over the direction that the movie is going
- There were a lot of dark things in this episode (drugging, bullying, near domestic violence) that made it interesting for me.
- There’s a shot of a drunk Asahina on her knees reaching up to Kyon’s waste... I’m sure this was used in many a blog picture.
- Haruhi getting put in her place is always good to see
- Shaking my head at Kyon doing a hardcore cock block of the esper guy.
- Kyon being forced to apologize or possibly face banishment from reality was a bummer.
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Season 2 #14
- I’ve completely convinced myself that everyone one is on the verge of a complete mental and emotional breakdown. Asahina cries herself to sleep at night, Koizumi smiles hide a troubled and tortured soul, and Nagato has had to kill her emotions or else she’d crack under the stress that Haruhi puts her through.
Summary: The SOS Brigade finishes their film and everything returns to “normal.”
- Everything about the talking cat was great, from his philosophical conversation to the fact that was constantly sliding off of Nagato’s shoulder the entire time.
- They didn’t last long, but there were a couple of scenes with some pretty slick animation.
- I felt like my feelings about how everyone is behind the scenes was kinda sorta a little bit confirmed.
- This episode didn’t really feel like a final episode to me.
Dragonball Kai #93
Summary: Gohan unlocks his full potential and takes on Cell and his Cell Jrs.
- A lot of people got their heads punched off or kicked in half
- The new animation blended in more seamlessly than it usually does
- I thought the Cell Jr. combat went on for a bit long, but that’s a minor quibble.
Summary: Aizen’s battle against Ichigo reaches its conclusion.
- Lots of slick animation
- Good music
- Ichigo has a decent battle against Tensa Zangetsu
- Tensa starts crying in the middle of the episode and drops a cheesy “touching” line
- Aizen Sousuke, easily my favorite bad guy in any medium, is no more.
- Aizen’s blood explosion transformation and all of the crosses at the end reminded me of Evangelion 2.0.
All that's missing is a bunch of crosses...
No wait, here they are.
Dragon Crisis! #6
Summary: Ryuji, Rose and Eriko attend a Society gala where they meet Ai, a Lost Precious thief.
- A well animated action sequence
- The introduction of a character who may be able to give Kai a run for her money when it comes to combat.
- There are tons of super cute Ai shots in this episode.
- Rose’s floating and jealousy are adorable.
- A new character is introduced and there is a kidnapping and theft... again. They’re starting to loop story arcs like Bleach canon.
Naruto Shippuden #199
Summary: The Five Kages head out for their summit.
- Seeing Konahamaru & Naruto interact always brings a smile to my face.
- More Danzo = more better
- Seeing the Raikage jump out of his window made me lol.
- Danzo’s sharringan reveal wasn’t as cool as it seemed in the manga.
- Actually hearing Chojuro talk makes him come off as even more of a loser than just seeing his actions and a text bubble.
- Outside of Danzo, this whole episode was super goofy and jokey like One Piece.
Star Driver #1
- Really, really, really good animation
- There’s a high level of ridiculousness
- Somebody did a teleport punch that was cool
- The character designs look straight out of some crappy collect stuff and fight with it kids show like Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade and a billion others, with clothing design by Colonel Zechs from Gundam.
- It’s the type of cute that comes off as annoying to me.
- The pink haired girl at the chalk board annoys me and I think she’ll be a major side character.
- I hate the mech design.
- I don’t like any of the characters, not even the bad guys... and I always like bad guys.
- I can usually tell whether I’m going to take a show seriously or not after an episode or at least how I feel about it, but this one left me puzzled on both accounts.
Awards and Recognitions
Suspect ZeroI'm sure his stylist told him that this was high fashion, but this is one of the most flaming outfits I've seen in a while. His mech is all shades of flamboyant as well.