What's a Super Duper Mini Review? Well, since I'm taking a break from written reviews, I decided to put a short list of what I liked and didn't like about the shows I review and put down some notes and fun facts as well. For a little info about the show, I copy the Plot Summary from the Anime News Network pages and throw them in the review so the reader can be a little bit informed on what the bases of the show is about. I also borrow some info from Wikipedia as well.
Super Duper Mini Review
is an original anime series directed by Takeshi Mori
. Both seasons were produced by Gonzo
and Media Factory
. Season 1
was released in 2000 and season 2
was released in 2001.
Vandread is a sci-fi action comedy series with themes of mecha, space, robots, adventure, harem
, and yuri
In a universe where men and women are mortal enemies, Hibiki is captured by a band of female pirates. The group find themselves stranded with a super ship they dub the Nirvana and set out for the female home planet. Along the way, they discover the existence of the "The Harvest" and the possible destruction of both men and women.
--- Anime News Network
- Love the concepts they used. The whole Men vs Women thing is entertaining and it works. Men in love with men. Women in love with women. Speaking of that, how do the men have children? Creepy...
- We my have seen some of these cliched characters before, they many, many cast of characters were still enjoyable for me.
- Great action scenes.
- While the 3D models used through out the show might look a little outdated by today's standards, it gives the show some charm.
- Fan service was good and wasn't overused, despite a lot of the girls being scantly dressed.
- The characters were enjoyable, but like I've said, we have seen these character types before. It might turn some people off.
- Like typical harem shows, the romance doesn't go super deep.
Notes and Fun Facts:
- There is a new season coming. When? I'm not sure, but it's supposed to star Dita's and Meia's daughters.
If you are looking for a new sci-fi comedy or just a new sci-fi show, I say give this a shot and see how you like it. If you are looking for a new sci-fi romantic show, you might want to stay away. The romance is there, but it's nothing to deep, just like other harems.
If you live in the US, Vandread is available on Hulu
as of this posting.
The many, many girls on the Nirvana.