I've been thinking for a while now and I have finally decided, I'm going to take a break from my anime/manga reviews. What I've decided to do is to do mini reviews and list some things I liked, didn't like, and a few notes about the show. Just making it really plain and simple. Why am I doing this? I just don't have the dedication to do long written reviews right now. Maybe at some point I will do them again, but for now I'm going to take it easy and do these mini reviews. I should note with these reviews I will NOT be attaching scores to them, so these will not be in the reviews section of the site, only the forum and my blog. So I hope you find these new mini reviews enjoyable. :)
Mini Review - Mai-Otome Mai-Otome
(aka My-Otome) is an anime series produced by Sunrise
. Directed by Masakazu Obara and written by Hiroyuki Yoshino. It is a spin-off show of Mai-HiME
with a new setting, but with some of the original characters from the first series, some with different personalities, as well as new characters. Negima!
comes to mind with a series that has done something similar to this.
There is the main show, Mai-Otome
, a sequel, Mai-Otome Zwei
, and a prequel, Mai-Otome 0~S.ifr~
Mai-Otome is an action, fantasy, drama, romance show with themes of magical school girls and yuri.
Arika Yumemiya has traveled far in search of her goal: the prestigious Gualderobe Academy. This is the school where young girls are trained to become Otomes, protectors of royal leaders throughout the lands. Here, Arika makes plenty of friends, but some enemies know something about her past that she does not. Nevertheless, her spirit and determination will keep pushing her forward. --- Adapted from its predecessor, Mai-HiME, this series is not a direct sequel, but an alternate universe setting featuring some of the Mai-HiME cast (though with different personalities).
-- Anime News Network
- Like Mai-HiME, the music is fantastic.
- Good fight scenes.
- Interesting concepts used in the Mai-Otome world. Otome, slaves, etc.
- It was fun seeing the Mai-HiME characters with different personalities.
- While it is a school setting (the main series), the world of Mai-Otome makes it enjoyable.
- The ending is not as cheesy and bad as Mai-HiME.
- When compared to Mai-HiME, some of the new characters aren't as memorable as the ones from Mai-HiME.
- A slow start before it starts getting enjoyable.
- I recommend watching the prequel LAST as it will make more sense. I started out with the prequel first and I was kinda lost. Then I started the main series and thought "Wait, what happened to the girl in the prequel?" After I finished the main series and the sequel, it made more sense.
If you are looking for a new action, fantasy show with a school theme and you don't mind magical girls, I say check this out and see what you think. You don't need to watch Mai-HiME before you watch this though. If you do, then you will get a little fanservice (not the ecchi kind) with the characters from the first show as some of them have the same personalities and some of their moves are similar to the first show.
For more info, check out the Wikipedia page
. Watch out for spoilers.
I decided to check out Rosario + Vampire
next. It seemed like a fun harem show with the supernatural twist it has. I know it's one of Kelleth's favorite mangas/anime so hopefully he wont hate me if I talk shit about it. :P