I will start off small with franchises I would definitely recommend:
- Another - I watched this anime very late at night, and I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but some of those scenes really scare the crap out of me. I usually don't do that, but after finishing it, I searched for some other stuff of that author. Sadly, I didn't find anything. I hope he is working on something new.
- Claymore - Claymore is amazing horror/fighting franchise. I love when the story surprises me, and it gave me just that. It's a shame that the manga is only published once in a month.
- Code Geass - Pure perfection. It has some indications that it could continue the story, but that R2 ending was so epic that it would be extremely hard to make something better.
- Death Note - Battle of great minds, I wish there are more stories like this one. IMO it should have ended with Kira killing the first L, second one was not needed.
- Fullmetal Alchemist - Only problem is that I don't know if I like better 1st or the 2nd version.
- One Piece - I watched over 600 episodes in less than a month, and I was so amazed that I will probably watch it again, pretty soon. Oda's ability to make you care about those characters is simply amazing.
- Madoka Magica - Awesome anime, only downside was fight scenes with witches. I wish it was a bit more bad ass.
- Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic - The ending of the first season was a bit rushed, second season made up for that. Magi is just amazing and especially those dark parts like slavery and racism
- Monster - Masterpiece, simple as that. The ability to make a powerful and interesting character without giving him bizarre superpowers. I'm always searching for franchises with great manipulators.
- Shiki - Great horror story about vampires (they didn't sparkle at all, thank God), and probably the most realistic story about vampires I've ever seen (if the whole concept of vampires can be taken to be realistic in the first place).
- Steins;Gate - I started watching this series because it was rated as no.1 in many sites about anime, so it's natural I had high expectations. From my life experience I know that it's not a good think to have high expectation. However, Steins;Gate never disappointed me, it's a great combination of goofy/serious characters and comedic/dramatic plot.
- Avatar - The last airbender has it all, great story, comedy, action, drama (my brother actually watched those 61 episodes in one day) Legend of Korra was a little disappointing because it lacks character development.
- Bleach - Fullbring arc was a total failure (even some filler arcs was better), but Tite Kubo make up for it with 1000 year blood war arc.
- Dragon Ball - It's a classic, but the problem was those 10 episode battles just to realise that they are fighting at 1% of their strength. I never watched Kai anime adaptation, I'll have to give it a try later on.
- Fairy Tail - Great story about friendship, great animation. It's hard to explain but it kinda lacks at providing good threats.
- Naruto - Pretty good character development. Anime has too many meaningless filler episodes. I don't have a problem with fillers in general, but if it's a filler they should make it more interesting. Manga has it's own problems, story is sometimes strange for me and Naruto as a character really irritates me. The last war arc is weird and I noticed I find myself rooting for the antagonist side of the war.
Other blogs of mine:
Some posts worth mentioning: