Pluto movie in the works

Topic started by Guest_Author on Nov. 18, 2010. Last post by sickVisionz 3 years, 9 months ago.
Post by Guest_Author (0 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Staff
Pluto, the manga based on Astro Boy's "The Greatest Robot on Earth" story arc,  will be made into a movie! Deadline announced that Tezuka Productions will be working alongside Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment to "turn the Japanese Manga Pluto into a live action/CG hybrid film." The book that sold 8 million copies in Japan will take the updated Astro Boy story into the big screen creating it a live action/CG combination that should blow your mind.  
         
Meledandri, Illumination Entertainment creator, says this about the project: 

"With PlutoNaoki Urasawa has defined an imaginative world full of inventive action and adventure but it was his characters and heartfelt story that compelled me towards acquiring these rights," 


I personally have not read the manga, but like many of you I love the classic Astro Boy story and I would love to read the book.   For those who have read the manga (and those who want to), are you excited for the future cinematic interpretation of Naoki Ursawa and Osamu Tezuka's manga? 



-- Geo ( sora_thekey ), long time user, blogger, wiki editor of the Whiskey Media Sites, and 24/7geek!
Post by darfox8 (25 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I am excited but I'd prefer them to adapt the work to make it work best as a film. The Watchman and 20th Century Boys films are neat but they aren't great movies.
Post by Make_Me_Mad (29 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Oh man, Pluto was awesome.  And so goddamn sad, all the time.  If they do it right, it could be brilliant, but I think turning it into a movie might not be the right way to go.  They'll either have to cut down on the story buildup or on the character development scenes to make it fit into an average film length, and either one of those would be a tragedy.

If they don't include every single scene involving Gesicht and his wife, this film will be RUINED.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Hell Yes, I wanna see Gesicht pound on some human supremacists
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,693 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I think I'm dying of a severe overload of joy
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I don't know much about Pluto but it's something I'd like to look into sometime. Sounds it's like quite the pageturner.

Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I am going to say right off the bat that I hate Astro Boy... Think the series was pretty corny, and American dubs trying to make it more comical by having every other villain pronounce his name Ass-tro Boy (has anyone else seen these rediculous Adult Swim dubs?) completely killed it for me. That said I gave the Pluto Manga a shot based on a friends shining review and was pleasantly surprised, so I'll give this a fair chance as well and thank god the character is not named Uranus!
Post by sora_thekey (1,097 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator
@sotyfan16 said:
"I don't know much about Pluto but it's something I'd like to look into sometime. Sounds it's like quite the pageturner."
Everybody keeps telling me that... Now I need to read it! 
Post by sickVisionz (4,253 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
@EganTheVile1 said:
" I am going to say right off the bat that I hate Astro Boy... Think the series was pretty corny, and American dubs trying to make it more comical by having every other villain pronounce his name Ass-tro Boy (has anyone else seen these rediculous Adult Swim dubs?) completely killed it for me. That said I gave the Pluto Manga a shot based on a friends shining review and was pleasantly surprised, so I'll give this a fair chance as well and thank god the character is not named Uranus! "
How do you pronounce Astro without it sounding like Ass-tro?
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@sickVisionz:  
Without pausing between the AS and TRO
Post by sickVisionz (4,253 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
@EganTheVile1: I've never heard anyone in real life or TV pronounce it how you're saying.  You're not from the US though, right?  It might be an accent or language thing, but I've literally never ever heard anyone pronounce it how you're saying it.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@sickVisionz said:
" @EganTheVile1: I've never heard anyone in real life or TV pronounce it how you're saying.  You're not from the US though, right?  It might be an accent or language thing, but I've literally never ever heard anyone pronounce it how you're saying it. "
I live in Florida, and am referring to the Adult Swim dubs which used to air around 4 AM on the east coast
Post by sickVisionz (4,253 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
I'm still boggled how someone would say astro without saying ass-tro and using two syllables to do it.
Top Editors
Top Posters
sickVisionz
3 posts
EganTheVile1
3 posts
darfox8
1 posts
Make_Me_Mad
1 posts
Kuro
1 posts
Kuma_From_Argentina
1 posts
sora_thekey
1 posts
Nerx
1 posts
sotyfan16
1 posts
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel