We Want Azu! We Want Azu!

Major fan favorite manga Azumanga Daioh gets a 10th anniversary reprint.

This year is the 10 anniversary of Azumanga Daioh, a long-time manga/anime fan favorite featuring a group of goofy girls attending (and eventually graduating) high school. Word on the official Yotsuba&! blog (found via 2ch) is that the manga will be re-released for the event, and will feature some new artwork from creator Kiyohiko Azuma (who also created Yotsuba&!, of course, hence the mention on said blog).

I, for one, am incredibly excited. Azumanga is a hilarious series made up of vignettes revolving around some pretty unique and quirky female characters. Azuma's manga upon which it's based is a 4koma comic strip, and in my opinion helped pave the way for later such strips to be made into anime (Lucky Star and Sunshine Sketch, anyone?). Okay, admittedly, it's not like it was the first-- Sazae-san, whose anime adaptation started in '69, was a 4koma, as did Di Gi Charat, but still.

I poked around the 'net to see if there were any free (legal) Azumanga episodes available, but I couldn't find any (I wonder if ADV still has the anime license?), so you'll have to make do with the OP sequence, which is still awesome.

I wish we were getting something for the 10 anniversary too...

ComradeCrashon Feb. 24, 2009 at 10:28 a.m.
I loved this show!  My sisters started to watch it with me because it was so funny! I will be checking out the manga for sure.
giaon Feb. 24, 2009 at 10:57 a.m.
ComradeCrash: you might not have much luck finding the individual volumes in stores, since they haven't been reprinted in a while; if you want them solo, check Amazon. ADV also put out an omnibus version that would probably be more findable at bookstores, although Amazon's not a bad choice for it, too :)
Kuroon Feb. 24, 2009 at 11:09 a.m.
Holy wow it's been 10 years... I mean only 5 for the US but still, I can't believe it.

CHIYO YOU'VE DOUBLED YOUR AGE T_T

Might be rewatch time soon.
Champyon Feb. 24, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
i am on episode 21 right now, its SOAWESOME!
OkazukiIchigoon Feb. 24, 2009 at 12:24 p.m.
Man, trying to get rid of Chiyo's cooking sung was tough for me. BUT ITS ADDICTIVE!!!
Devillyon Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:20 p.m.
LoL i liked it so much i have all the dvd`s XD
Yay!! Happy Azuversary :)
Void_Wizardon Feb. 24, 2009 at 2:29 p.m.
I have lots of love for Azu, I've read a large chunk of the 4komas so far but I haven't had the time to watch the Azu dvds that I have yet. xD I agree with Happy Azuversary! ^_^

Dig Deeper into Kiyohiko Azuma

The mangaka behind the popular series Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba&!.

Hit the Forums

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE - BATTLE IN EGYPT #7 -- Watch & Learn

The next Mrs. Joestar...?

Anime Caption Contest! -- 2/22/15

Behold, the creepy faces of anime!

POWER RANGERS -- The R-Rated Reboot Trailer?

Would you want Super Sentai to be this nasty?

THE LEGEND OF KORRA -- Anime Vice MOD Roundtable

To celebrate the Last Airbender's 10th anniversary, we have a Korra Roundtable!

DEATH PARADE #5 -- Watch & Learn

Who's the real villain here?

Community Spotlight -- 2/20/2015

We're rolling over some of the love from last week into this spotlight to show our appreciation to the community.

NARUTO SHIPPUDEN #400 -- Special Review

Even Rock Lee is an emo sad sack at this point!

How Has Anime Fandom REALLY Changed Since the 90's?

We asked the question, and you gave us a lot of great answers. Listen as we read through them, and question if once again boils down to... SUB vs. DUB?

THE LEGEND OF KORRA -- Anime Vice MOD Roundtable

To celebrate the Last Airbender's 10th anniversary, we have a Korra Roundtable!

PARASYTE - THE MAXIM #20 -- Watch & Learn

The days of "This Ain't Your Daddy's Cartoons" Are Back!

Anime Caption Contest! -- 2/22/15

Behold, the creepy faces of anime!

POWER RANGERS -- The R-Rated Reboot Trailer?

Would you want Super Sentai to be this nasty?

Community Spotlight -- 2/20/2015

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE - BATTLE IN EGYPT #7 -- Watch & Learn

The next Mrs. Joestar...?

DEATH PARADE #5 -- Watch & Learn

Who's the real villain here?

How Has Anime Fandom REALLY Changed Since the 90's?