#1: FetishesThe usual legal debate about loli popped up again, but on the side came an interesting discussion about how disliking certain fetishes can result in a backlash response. Choice quotes from @ANNZac:
" I really hate the "don't be such a prude!" response when you say you think a certain fetish is fuckin' gross."
" It's 100 percent OK to be creeped out by lolicon or rape porn or w/e, and it's OK to say so. You're not some agent of intolerance if you do."
Others agreed with the sentiment and noted that being creeped out by something didn't mean they thought it should be illegal, but for some it turned into a debate about the need for clarification.
#2: Comic Book Gossip ColumnsThis isn't technically part of the anime twitterverse, but it's certainly interesting: a wide variety of comic book universe Twitterers spent last night debating about whether comic book gossip columns are worth anything, or if they're just garbage. The debates got heated, and everybody made some good points. Here are some of my favorites:
- "I need #comicsgossipcolumns about as much as I need comics. Which is to say, not at all.Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them." ( @jensaltmann)
- "What's the definition of gossip vs what's actually industry news that's useful to know?" ( @templesmith)
- "Conversely, what's useful and what's simply something people want to know?" ( @thenerdybird)
- "these sites continue because they get ATTENTION valid,useful or not, a select group of people will always enjoy gossip" ( @yogina20)
- "Comics Gossip Sites are as close as the industry gets to journalism." ( @moonandserpent)
- "Gossip can, sometimes, be wonderful. But gossip-mongers must always be questioned and they can answer back." ( @richjohnston)
- "When the only voice becomes that which any business WANTS the consumer to hear that is not a good thing." ( @theswordisdrawn)
- "But do we need comics writers? Shouldn't we get REAL writers instead?" ( @gailsimone)
Tweets of Note
- @FUNimation reminds everyone that One Piece episodes 412-414 just went live (at 9pm CDT), while ep 415 goes up tomorrow (same time).
- A few @TOKYOPOP books just went to the printer: ARIA 5, Ng Life 3, Vloody Kiss 2, Mikansei 1, Reborn on Mars 3, and Liberty Liberty.
- @theanimenetwork drools over some really awesome-looking bento...if I hadn't had a HUGE! lunch myself a few hours ago, I'd be drooling more than I am, too.
- Right Stuf is having a delicious fall clearance, so stock up on your nice prices now!
- And finally, Vertical is having a contest to design the cover of an upcoming Black Jack volume! I wonder if that means that the future volumes aren't going to match the first batch?...
And I'm going to have to cut it out now, I think. I could keep this going for hours otherwise.