The album, titled Wa-gakki de Ghibli ("Ghibli on Traditional Instruments"), will feature a number of Ghibli tracks performed on instruments such as the taiko drums and the shamisen and is being released in the hopes that the fusion of modern music with traditional instruments will help broaden people’s musical horizons.
The tracks are being performed by AUN, also known as twin brothers Ryohei and Kohei Inoue, who play taiko, shamisen, and flute—here’s a track list:
1. Gake no Ue no Ponyo (Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea)
2. Sanpo (My Neighbor Totoro)
3. Kaze no Toori Uchi (My Neighbor Totoro)
4. Hareta Hi Ni (Kiki’s Delivery Service)
5. Jinsei no Marigold (Howl’s Moving Castle)
6. Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke)
7. Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro)
8. Itsumo Nandemo (Spirited Away)
9. Teruu no Uta (Tales from Earthsea)
10. Kaze no Tani no Nausicaa ~Opening~ (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)
11. Nausicaa Requiem (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)
12. Kimi wo Nosete (Laputa: Castle in the Sky)
13. Itsudemo Dareka ga (Pom Poko)
I’m completely intrigued and want to check it out. If you’re like me, the CD hits streets on December 17.