Marrying an Anime Character, Step 1: Engagement Rings

Filed under "Scary Things Japanese Otaku Do."

Rings!
Rings!
So a while back some otaku in Japan threw out the idea of legislature to let them legally marry anime characters. Why? I'm pretty sure that marrying, say, Nagi Sanzenin of Combat Butler Hayate doesn't actually get you her money or anything, and anime females have traditionally not shown a ton of resistance once you get 'em in the sack, or even if you don't if hentai is to be believed.

But marriage is what some otaku want (and hey, some of them romance their TVs in place of the characters), so what do the figure makers do? Well, this one comes with engagement rings for both the 1/6 scale bride and the regular-size groom.

Terrifying. But if you could marry any anime character, who would it be?

OkazukiIchigoon Dec. 28, 2008 at 5:41 p.m.
I've seen these types of things, a while back but I digress.
Devillyon Dec. 28, 2008 at 5:48 p.m.
LoL i would never do that in real live even though i am a otaku XD

but if you have to ask
Moka Akayashi i woulduse the lillith mirror to seperate her from her weaker self and merry her :)
Lunarmothon Dec. 28, 2008 at 8:25 p.m.
Wait I got a way to stop this or at least to make since of it a little bit. Characters kinda belong to the creator/writer, since Character speak for themselves would it not be the creator say if you could marry. This should always get a sound NO!
And if they say yes, well it a mess up world anyhow. People marred stranger things.
RedRoseson Dec. 28, 2008 at 8:28 p.m.
What's step two? Buying a dakimakura and putting a wedding gown on it?
maxwellon Dec. 28, 2008 at 10:21 p.m.
お娘さん俺に下さい。
hazelnutmanon Dec. 28, 2008 at 10:30 p.m.
Marrying an anime character in real life? No thanks.

Now if I could turn into an anime character myself, I'd do it in a jiffy.
darkjester74on Dec. 29, 2008 at 5:06 a.m.
*shudder*
Agent_Loston Dec. 29, 2008 at 6:38 a.m.
*palm face*
Sonata moderator on Dec. 29, 2008 at 6:58 a.m.
lol weird but cool
MorpheusDreamweaveron Dec. 29, 2008 at 7:53 a.m.
The little ring for the doll is cute... it's the matching full-size ring for the guy that's creepy, IMO.
Sigueon Dec. 29, 2008 at 9:34 a.m.
A little too creepy for me.
Papasanon Dec. 29, 2008 at 10:05 a.m.
Gia!
Wait... is she an anime character?
Death_Flameon Dec. 29, 2008 at 10:43 a.m.
Kagome from inuyasha lmao
Lanon Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:09 p.m.
I'm not sure what to think about this...is it just for male otaku who want to marry female anime characters? On the one hand it seems like a fun and amusing idea, on the other it seems just plain creepy.  There's many anime guys I'd like to date....but I'm not sure which I'd like to commit to for life.
Death_Flameon Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:40 p.m.
Hehehe this is so funny
Damnation_Leeon Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:46 p.m.
Ummm... I'm not sure. Maybe Hikari or Shinobu.
slayeron Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:06 p.m.
Now if I could turn into an anime character myself, I'd do it in a jiffy.
yeah probbaly go in to so many  animes and screw so manny of the women til I find love [which would probbaly never happen and I keep going] and most likey make myself imoratl
Black_Roseon Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:15 p.m.
Konata here i come!!!
shonenon June 29, 2009 at 4:02 p.m.
Hmm I'll marry Masataka Takayanagi
Kelleth moderator on June 29, 2009 at 4:03 p.m.
Momoka =3

Dig Deeper into Figures

A popular merchandise type in Japan is the "figure", which can be an action figure or a still figure, generally of an anime or manga character (although there are any number of original designs as well).

Watch Some Videos (1 Video)

Anime Caption Contest! -- 8/27/14

So how many of you have had a friend walk in while you're trying on a seifuku? Own up, it happens to the best of us!

Parting Ways with AKAME GA KILL!

It really comes down to this specific visual here.

This is Krillin's Origin in DRAGON BALL #14?

Couldn't have guessed that he started out as "Goku's rival."

ONE PIECE UNLIMITED WORLD RED Game Review

Will this game be any fun for anybody who isn't a ONE PIECE diehard?

How Is NARUTO Like DOCTOR WHO? Catching Up with SHIPPUDEN #371 - 373

Both of these franchises have been around a long time. How do they keep fans engaged?

SWORD ART ONLINE Hollow Points -- Review

VICE PIT. What's it like playing the game within a game... within a game?

Checking Back on SPACE DANDY and... He's Cleaned Up His Act?

Episode #19. Special review. It's turned upside-down!

Were All of Goku's Pals in DRAGON BALL Once his Enemies?

Episode #16 -- Retro Review. Look, it's Launch!

Parting Ways with AKAME GA KILL!

It really comes down to this specific visual here.

Anime Caption Contest! -- 8/27/14

The Anime of Each Generation?

What shows hooked otaku in their teens, 20's and 30's? The answers might actually surprise you.

Were All of Goku's Pals in DRAGON BALL Once his Enemies?

Episode #16 -- Retro Review. Look, it's Launch!

Anime Inspires Comics :: the THANATOS DIVER Interview

Former staff writers Nick Tapalansky and Alex Eckman-Lawn are OTAKU COMING HOME again, telling us all about their new, manga-esque adventure comic -- which Anime Vice actually inspired!

BLEACH Ch. 593 Review

If you've ever had that feeling as if you're running in circles, Hitsugaya knows exactly how you feel.

HUNTER X HUNTER -- AV Mods' Roundtable

How do you guys and gals feel about the end of Hunter x Hunter? Check out what our experts have to say!

This is Krillin's Origin in DRAGON BALL #14?

Couldn't have guessed that he started out as "Goku's rival."