Now, this is more like it! If this plot had come an episode or two sooner, the show so far would be nearly faultless, pacing-wise. After circling around a little, KILL LA KILL finally gets the radical premise change it needed - - and I’m tickled by how that switchback turn comes wrapped up in another brilliant blow-up of BATTLE ROYALE.
(And again, seeing as how bloody scholastic satires which would NEVER fly stateside come up a lot in Japan, I can’t help but wonder about how much it speaks to the ruthless competition of real life entrance exams…)
There’s just a lot to like in this episode…
- The run 'n gun with the allied automotive/airsoft association.
- The incongruously cordial relationship Ryoko has with her rivals while they’re off the clock.
- The flashback finally revealing how Ryoko’s Dad died (and how he looks exactly her uniform).
- The flashback revealing how this school council actually had rather noble origins.
- The utterly bizarre gimp outfit and its 'hard' growing powers.
- The fact that we’ve pretty much set-up what’d be the epic showdown in any other series.
And the list goes on. Weirdly enough, I think the amount of… healthy bad taste has evened out enough in this show that our earlier… concerns about the T&A don’t seem to stick out as much. I can enjoy this without guilt (well, not as much guilt, at least). What frenetic fever dream of high school.
Guess the only step the show could take to top this, now, would be bringing us to Nudist Beach...?
About the Author
|Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk|