Gurren Lagann Dollfies in the Works

Overpriced emo ball-jointed dolls for the win!

Ahhh, Dollfies-- or Goth Barbies, as I call them. If you frequent conventions you've probably seen them around: they're largeish (12+”) ball-jointed dolls with unpleasantly soulless eyes and excessively detailed hair, clothing, and accessories. Seriously though-- I don't hold being into dollfies against anyone. I won't think less of you. And aside from the appeal of dolls in general, I just don't get why people find these so terribly attractive.

Dollfie Asuka
Dollfie Asuka

That said, I might have to reconsider, once Volks releases images of its upcoming Gurren Lagann Dollfies. They're creating one of Nia and one of Yoko, presumably along the lines of the Asuka and Rei Dollfies of the past.

...On the other hand, consider how expensive those Asuka and Rei Dollfies are-- nearly $600 each. I'm willing to bet the TTGL girls will be similarly priced. So, once again...I just don't get it!

Kuroon Feb. 17, 2009 at 12:39 p.m.
GIVE ME A DOLLFIE KAMINA
OkazukiIchigoon Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:17 p.m.
Dolls scared mes :(
Nikoon Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:54 p.m.
The dolls are alive and will kill you in your sleep.
giaon Feb. 17, 2009 at 1:57 p.m.
Can't sleep...Dollfies will eat me...;)
Nikoon Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:13 p.m.
They're especially bad in Maui
giaon Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:16 p.m.
Niko: It's the closer proximity to Japan.
Black_Roseon Feb. 17, 2009 at 2:24 p.m.
ASSSSUUUKKAAA

*drools*
RedRoseson Feb. 17, 2009 at 3:44 p.m.
I'm trying to imagine a dollfie Yoko but it's just not working out for me. I can definitely see a Nia one though.

I really wanna see a Kamina or Simon one. XD It'd look horrendously WTF. =)

... if I were to buy an expensive dollfie, I'd get Saber. She looks really pretty.
z9bladeon Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:16 p.m.
must say that the figure would look 10 times better if only the bust was a bit smaller cause it just makes the whole figure look abnormal
MorpheusDreamweaveron Feb. 17, 2009 at 4:51 p.m.
I'm never really going to be in the market for Dollfies... but I kind of wouldn't mind having the Rei one.
AlisonRon Feb. 17, 2009 at 7:14 p.m.
More anime dolls, not Dollfies, but this time (less expensive) Pullips. Past releases include Asuka and Rei from Evangelion and the dolls from Rozen Maiden, and upcoming ones include characters from Black Butler and Neo-Angelique.  (I have an "Asuka." They did an awesome job making her three costumes accurate. ^_^)
Flyvapneton March 2, 2009 at 6:08 a.m.
I'd not be ashamed to have a Yoko Ritona one; but at $600US apiece,  these Dollfies are about ten times more expensive than they ought to be.  A few people who saw this photograph I made of a Yoko Ritona figurine thought I had a full-sized mannequin:

Yoko in my living room
Yoko in my living room

I'm glad somebody out there can afford a Dollfie, but it sure isn't me!  Plus, like gia said, I just don't get it.
Nerxon March 2, 2009 at 6:34 a.m.
Better get me one of those
HeeroYuyon March 2, 2009 at 8:50 a.m.
I'd still something crazy for that Saber dollfie...

Dig Deeper into Figures

A popular merchandise type in Japan is the "figure", which can be an action figure or a still figure, generally of an anime or manga character (although there are any number of original designs as well).

Watch Some Videos (1 Video)

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE - BATTLE IN EGYPT #7 -- Watch & Learn

The next Mrs. Joestar...?

Anime Caption Contest! -- 2/22/15

Behold, the creepy faces of anime!

POWER RANGERS -- The R-Rated Reboot Trailer?

Would you want Super Sentai to be this nasty?

DEATH PARADE #5 -- Watch & Learn

Who's the real villain here?

THE LEGEND OF KORRA -- Anime Vice MOD Roundtable

To celebrate the Last Airbender's 10th anniversary, we have a Korra Roundtable!

How Has Anime Fandom REALLY Changed Since the 90's?

We asked the question, and you gave us a lot of great answers. Listen as we read through them, and question if once again boils down to... SUB vs. DUB?

BLEACH Ch. 616 Review

But does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?

DEATH PARADE #6 -- Watch & Learn

The deadliest game of Twister ever...!

THE LEGEND OF KORRA -- Anime Vice MOD Roundtable

To celebrate the Last Airbender's 10th anniversary, we have a Korra Roundtable!

PARASYTE - THE MAXIM #20 -- Watch & Learn

The days of "This Ain't Your Daddy's Cartoons" Are Back!

Anime Caption Contest! -- 2/22/15

Behold, the creepy faces of anime!

How Has Anime Fandom REALLY Changed Since the 90's?

BLEACH Ch. 616 Review

But does the right hand know what the left hand is doing?

DEATH PARADE #5 -- Watch & Learn

Who's the real villain here?

POWER RANGERS -- The R-Rated Reboot Trailer?

Would you want Super Sentai to be this nasty?

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE - BATTLE IN EGYPT #7 -- Watch & Learn

The next Mrs. Joestar...?