Akira Coming To Blu-ray!

Bandai Entertainment announces February 24, 2009 release date.

All this can be yours
All this can be yours
I'm a big fan of Blu-ray movies and it's fitting that Akira will be getting the high-def treatment it deserves.  Bandai Entertainment has announced that Akira will be released on February 24, 2009.  This will be a worldwide release that will contain the Japanese  and English subtitles with the English dubbed track along with the original Japanese track.

The first printings will include a slipcase and 32 page booklet with a retail price of 49.98 (you should be able to find it cheaper).

What extras will appear?  So far it looks like the teasers and tv commercial have been included.  Katsuhiro Otomo's complete storyboards for the movie will be included as well.
Bertmastaon Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:14 p.m.
good for people woth blu-ray players however this does not include me :(
Devillyon Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:17 p.m.
Awesome for anyone who wants it but i`m already happy with my collector`s edition DVD so i dont really care :)
GMan staff on Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:13 p.m.
I have the collectors edition too (are we talking about the one in the tin case?).  Still, I've become picky since I got an HD-TV and our local theatre has digital projectors.  It gets hard to go back.
Count_Zeroon Dec. 19, 2008 at 7:27 p.m.
I presume the soundtrack is going to be re-mixed (for both the Japanese and English versions) to Dolby DTS and 5.1. Hopefully, with the recent changes to the Blu-Ray version (BD-Live) we'll be able to, say, watch with movie with the storyboards playing as a picture-in-picture.
GMan staff on Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:34 p.m.
192 kHz 24bit Japanese Dolby TrueHD 5.1 language track and 5.1 English.  Not sure about the picture in picture for the storyboards but it'd be crazy if they didn't do that.
Devillyon Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:35 p.m.
@GMan yes that one ^^
yuetheguardianon Dec. 20, 2008 at 4:34 a.m.
Akira goes blu-ray I really care for neither unless they are free, akira was not only kinda boring its the first anime to put me to sleep, sorry, the visuelks are pretty but the story was wretched to me.
Resonateon Dec. 20, 2008 at 6:58 a.m.
I never saw Akira, but I only hear positive things from it
MrPopoon Dec. 20, 2008 at 10:51 a.m.
I enjoyed Akira.  It was one of those that everyone would say "you have to see this movie."  I liked it but don't think it's the greatest movie of all time.  And yes it did have some sweet visuals.
ethan staff on Dec. 21, 2008 at 3:16 p.m.
Kuroon Dec. 21, 2008 at 8:45 p.m.
It'll probably be cheaper at best buy, I know Gun Vs Die Buster was. SO WANTING.
GMan staff on Dec. 21, 2008 at 10:30 p.m.
I do think it was ahead of its time.  Compare it to the other dribble that was put out at the time.  I get that the story might not be for everyone but it's worth seeing.  Whether you spring for an HD version, that just depends on your personal tastes and if you have a Blu-ray player (they are going down in price).
Lemegeton300on Dec. 22, 2008 at 6:10 a.m.
i already have Akira on DVD so i will only get this if there are some really good extras.
Resonateon Dec. 22, 2008 at 8:37 a.m.
ethan said:
"G-Man and I just watched Akira again last night and It's still awesome.  Watch this movie and then compare it to live action movies from the 80s and you will see what I mean. Akira is to anime as The Watchmen are to comic books."
O___O

Must watch
Death_Flameon Dec. 24, 2008 at 7:49 a.m.
I'm almost picked this up once. Is it pretty good?

Dig Deeper into Akira

A secret military project threatens the destruction of Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psionic psychopath, who can only be stopped by his best friend, a young woman, and a group of psionic children.

Watch Some Videos (1 Video)

Does Anime Get Too 'Niche?'

THE VICE PIT. Sometimes, it feels like watching somebody else's home movies, doesn't it?

Anime Caption Contest! -- 8/18/14

Let's party hard at the beach while it's still summer!

Was KILL LA KILL Actually Any Good?

THE VICE PIT. With a few months of hindsight, Sam and Tom have very different takes on Trigger's bold series.

NARUTO Ch. 688 Review

No reason to be tense when you're working with a safety net.

Pick Anime Vice's Most Rockin' AMV! Part 3: Villains!

This month's AMV Tournament features villains! Submit your best Villain themed AMV!

Why Does JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE Need Kakyoin?

STARDUST CRUSADERS #19. W&L. He's scarily bland!

Listen to the JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE Rap!

Richie Branson continues his weekly anime-inspired rap series with the hip-hop tribute "Stand-Up."

I'm Trying Really Hard to Like ALDNOAH ZERO #2

...but it's sooooo self-serious!

Pick Anime Vice's Most Rockin' AMV! Part 3: Villains!

Anime Caption Contest! -- 8/18/14

Let's party hard at the beach while it's still summer!

Was KILL LA KILL Actually Any Good?

Why Does JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE Need Kakyoin?

STARDUST CRUSADERS #19. W&L. He's scarily bland!

Does Anime Get Too 'Niche?'

I'm Trying Really Hard to Like ALDNOAH ZERO #2

...but it's sooooo self-serious!

NARUTO Ch. 688 Review

No reason to be tense when you're working with a safety net.

Community Spotlight 8/15/2014

While many were preparing for the first week of the new school year, these users were deep into this week in anime.