A Challenger Appears! Anime Midstream Grabs Raijin-Oh

A new anime company appears...in St. Louis?

Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh
Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh
Well, that's not something I expected to see this time of year and in this economy: Anime on DVD got a press release from Anime Midstream, which is a new US-based anime company. They've acquired the license to Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh, a Power Rangers-esque anime from 1991. Here are their words:

The first series produced for the Eldoran franchise funded by Tomy and produced by Sunrise. It aired in Japan from April 3, 1991 to March 25, 1992. The story revolves around a group of elementary school children who are given command of a mecha named Raijin-Oh and their efforts to defend the Earth from the evil Jaku Empire.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the license (and how). Will they market it at kids, or at hardcore anime fans? Try to get it on TV, or stick to a DVD release-- or maybe even Internet-based?

In any case, it's a brand new company working out of St. Louis, MO, and I have to admit that the existence of a donations request page on their official website doesn't necessarily bode well for their business plan...but it should be interesting to watch. I'm already getting in touch with them to see if I can ask a few questions.

ScottGreenon Dec. 22, 2008 at 1:57 p.m.
Hopefully this wouldn't be another New Galaxy Anime to announce something (Unico in that case) and then go silent.
giaon Dec. 22, 2008 at 2 p.m.
ScottGreen: that's exactly what I was thinking...except that I really, really, REALLY want Unico DVDs. I'm not at all familiar with this title. ^^;
Resonateon Dec. 22, 2008 at 2:08 p.m.
If this doesnt have a guy in tights screaming Shining Finger in it, it can't be worth it :}
Nikoon Dec. 22, 2008 at 2:51 p.m.
I'm all for people trying to pick up more obscure shows from '80s and '90s, but I don't know how well a new company will do in this current economic state. I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out.
giaon Dec. 22, 2008 at 3:35 p.m.
Niko: Yeah, a few of us have been discussing on IRC, for example, whether they have a shot at getting picked up on TV or not.
HSaabedraon Dec. 22, 2008 at 4:09 p.m.
I sent off an interview request not too long ago, so we'll see how that goes.  There's a market for this sort of thing, but there's really not much info besides the press release to go on.  The company is much too small to get the show picked up on TV at this point unless they work out a pay for play deal, which wouldn't be wise.
Kiriskaon Dec. 22, 2008 at 7:05 p.m.
WHOA. WHOA. RAIJIN-OH?! SERIOUSLY? WOW.

That is seriously one of the first anime series I've ever seen. Sure, it was a hilarious Chinese dub, but still. I have many fond memories of it. o_o I'm seriously shocked that anyone would consider picking up such an old and obscure series, especially now, especially a new company. Bizarre indeed! I definitely want to know how this plays out.
Kiriskaon Dec. 22, 2008 at 8:03 p.m.
Okay, nevermind. After taking a look at Anime Midstream's website, my opinion of this took a nosedive. It's kind of a let down, really. :< I blogged about it in-depth here.
Kuroon Dec. 22, 2008 at 11:12 p.m.
This is all kinds of wow.
RedZBaylonon Dec. 23, 2008 at 8:06 p.m.
I saw this when I was a little kid in the Philippines. It was fucking awesome back then, when the mecha pilots would get support from their fellow classmates when the whole classroom transformed into a command center. Good times.
HSaabedraon Dec. 24, 2008 at 6:13 p.m.
Just to let everyone know, I have an interview up with the Executive Producer of Raijin-Oh, Jimmy Taylor here.

New DRAGON BALL Z Movie Announced -- FUKKATSU NO F

F is for Resurrection! Yes! Yes, it is!

ATTACK ON TITAN Live-Action Movie Cast Photos

Does Eren Yeager look like you imagined he would?

PSYCHO-PASS 2 #8 -- Watch & Learn

What if they actually did come for your violent video games?!?!

PARASYTE - THE MAXIM #7 -- Watch & Learn

Let me explain why this is gross.

DRAGON BALL -- Does the Tournament Arc Hold Up?

Goku isn't actually a hero in the traditional sense...?

Community Spotlight -- 11/21/2014

The Thanksgiving holiday is just around the bend. Let's send off November by gorging on these user submissions then take a nap.

Fall 2014 Anime Report Card -- PARASYTE, KAREN SENKI, TRINITY SEVEN, CHAIKA THE COFFIN PRINCESS, CELESTIAL METHOD

We saw all this season's new pilots. Which ones rocked? And which ones sucked?

ONE PIECE Ch. 767 Review

As with the closing of most flashbacks, this can only end in tears.

New DRAGON BALL Z Movie Announced -- FUKKATSU NO F

F is for Resurrection! Yes! Yes, it is!

ATTACK ON TITAN Live-Action Movie Cast Photos

Does Eren Yeager look like you imagined he would?

PARASYTE - THE MAXIM #7 -- Watch & Learn

Let me explain why this is gross.

RAGE OF BAHAMUT: GENESIS -- MY TAKE

Tom has a theory about why this show's first two episodes work.

We saw all this season's new pilots. Which ones rocked? And which ones sucked?

DRAGON BALL -- Does the Tournament Arc Hold Up?

Goku isn't actually a hero in the traditional sense...?

WELCOME TO THE NHK #1-3 -- Retro Review

Not as interesting if you've watched TATAMI GALAXY first?

PSYCHO-PASS 2 #8 -- Watch & Learn

What if they actually did come for your violent video games?!?!