Natsu and Gildarts continue their battle as their flashbacks reveal the close bonds that resembles a father and son relationship. Meanwhile, Juvia and Lisanna face a tough battle with Erza while Elfman and Evergreen find Mirajane. Will Natsu defeat Gildarts?
A recap of Gildarts being revealed to Natsu starts the episode. A flashback of Gildarts coming home to Fairy Tail guild, and Lucy, Wendy, and Carla are noticing how the city is changed to help Gildarts come home without destroying everything. Then the flashback shifts to Makarov announcing the names for the S Class Arc.
Now, the scene returns to the present. In Route D, Juvia and Lisanna fight Erza who is in a Sea Empress armor. When Juvia attacks Erza with her Water Slicer, Juvia's attacks bounce off Erza's sword due to Erza's armor's ability to nullify water attacks. Lisanna assists Juvia by using Take Over attacks; Juvia notices that Erza is open for a moment. Once Lisanna attack Erza with an aerial move; Juvia attacks Erza with Water Cane, but Erza repels both of them. Erza states that she will not hold back as she attacks them again. Meanwhile, Lucy and Cana relax near the base of the waterfall; Lucy begs Cana to stay here to relax some more. She asks Cana if they can wash their swimsuits. At the beach, Elfman and Evergreen face Mirajane who is in her Satan Soul.
Back to Natsu, Happy is taking the backpack and tells Natsu that he wants to go home. Natsu rushes in, and Gildarts tells him that he is not mentally prepared. As Natsu lands the first blow, he finds out his flames have no effect. Suddenly, Natsu is sent flying when Gildarts' ability activates. Before Happy can cry, Natsu jumps on Gildarts and attempts to beat Gildarts, but Gildarts blocks his attacks and grabs him. He throws Natsu away, and on the rebound, Natsu unleashes his roar of the dragon on Gildarts. However, Gildarts uses Crash to break down Natsu's attack and Natsu himself. Gildarts seems stunned that he did not hold back enough while Happy is shocked. Happy thinks Gildarts kill Natsu, but Gildarts reveals that he use the dis-assembly magic when a pile of chibi Natsu starts falling to the ground.
Even though Gildarts thinks Natsu has lost, the army of chibi Natsu exclaim that they will beat Gildarts. Another flashback occurs when Gildarts gets jumped by Natsu in his own house. Happy seems to repeat Natsu's words, and before Natsu can punch Gildarts, Gildarts sends him flying. At the guild, Lisanna welcomes Natsu, and Natsu immediately attacks Gildarts who knocks him down. Meanwhile, Erza and Mirajane talk about Natsu and then they quickly get into an argument. Natsu delivers a drop kick to Gildarts' head when Gildarts is drinking. Getting caught by surprise, Gildarts sends Natsu flying, and he agrees to fight Natsu. Erza and Mirajane rush outside to see Gildarts's fight with Natsu; while Gray asks Cana if she wants to see the fight, Cana refuses. At the beach, Gildarts defeat Natsu who wants to fight some more.
Back to the present battle, the army of Natsu plays dirty by clinging and biting on Gildarts and delivers flame attack on him until Gildarts uses his magic to restore Natsu back to normal. Suddenly, Natsu gets close and unleashes a powerful flame attack on Gildarts. Yet, Gildarts remains unscathed; Natsu tells Happy and him that he manages to push back Gildarts. Gildarts finally gets serious and unleashes a powerful, silvery aura that shakes the island enough that Lucy and Cana feel it. Natsu attempts to attack Gildarts, but he loses his cool and suffers a nervous breakdown. Gildarts shuts down his power, and he compliments Natsu for having the courage and tells him that he has pass. He informs Natsu that he has the right to move on. Natsu sheds tears all over the ground as he cries that he has won the battle with Gildarts.
Points of Interest
- It seems Natsu's fire attacks have a darker hue.
- The opening theme song has change to the setting of S Class Arc and introduces some new characters that have not formally shown in the anime.
- The new ending theme song revolves around Natsu.
- Gildarts has more attacks than just disintegrating things. He can break things down into smaller versions such as using his dis-assembly to break down Natsu into an army of chibis.
- Erza has a new armor revealed that is called the Sea Empress armor. Her armor allows resistance to water attacks. Plus, it is the fourth revealing armor that Erza has. The other two are the Flight Armor, the Heaven Wheels Armor, and the Robe of Yuen.
- Fan Service: Lucy and Cana just had a bath in the waterfall. This marks the second time that they had a bath together.
- For the second time, Mirajane has revealed her Satan Over Soul. Not counting the filler episodes.
- Wendy, Gray, Mest, and Carla are only seen in the flashback.
- Loke, Gray, Levy, and Gajeel did not appear in this episode.
- Natsu's attacks are very poetic: Dragon Slayer's Magic: Crimson Lotus: Exploding Flame Blade.
- For the First Time! No one pointed out that Gray had stripped in the flashback.
- Technically, Natsu did not defeat Gildarts, but he passes Gildarts' test.
Gildarts: "However, very few have the courage to sheathe their sword once it's out. Fear is not evil. It tells you what your weakness is. And once you know your weakness, you can become stronger as well as kinder."
Manga & Anime Differences
- In the manga version, Erza did not say that she will not hold back. Lisanna did not use her bunny take over soul; Juvia did not slice totem poles. In contrast to the anime, Juvia slices rocks instead.
- Anime Only Scenes: Lucy and Cana's leisurely relaxation at the base of the waterfall (they only appear to be drying up in the manga) and the flashbacks of Natsu and Gildarts did not appear in the manga.
- Altercations in Erza's battle with Juvia and Lisanna: In the anime version, Juvia attacks Erza with a water slicer, but Erza did not dodge and uses her sword to deflect it. Once Lisanna finishes her bunny take over attack and launches another aerial assault, Juvia attacks Erza with a water cane attack. Erza deflects and sends Juvia and Lisanna flying. She lectures Juvia and then attacks both Juvia and Lisanna after telling them that she will not hold back. Compared to the manga version, Juvia did not use water cane, and Erza did not lecture Juvia and Lisanna.
Erza's armor has some slight altercations. Those little pearls on her stomach area are arranged differently. In the manga, it is arranged in vertical arcs that attach to the side armor. Whereas in the anime, it is arranged in a way that connects the two side armors.
- Japanese Name: "Natsu vs. Girudātsu" (ナツ vs. ギルダーツ)
- Manga Chapter: Fairy Tail #25 (Chapter 205 & 206)
- Opening Theme: "Eikyū no Kizuna (永久のキズナ)" by Daisy x Daisy
- Ending Theme: "Kono Te Nobashite" (この手を伸ばして; "Reach Out This Hand") by Hi-Fi Camp