The following review is for the entire anime series. This includes Mahoromatic - Automatic Maiden, Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful, Mahoromatic: Summer Special, and Mahoromatic: Tadaima Okaeri. Mahoromatic
an anime adaptation of the manga of the same name. There are two seasons, one special, and two OVAs. Both seasons where produced by Gainax
and directed by Hiroyuki Yamaga
Mahoromatic a sci-fi romantic comedy with elements of harem
, ecchi, and drama. Could be considered a ecchi comedy as well. The show is about a female combat android name Mahoro
. Mahoro was built by Vesper to fight an alien invasion by Saint. Mahoro is a very strong, fast android and considered a formidable opponent by her enemies. Due to being an android, she has a limit on her lifespan. She doesn't have much time to live, so Vesper gives her the choice of how she wants to spend the rest of her life. She decides to become a maid for Suguru Misato
, the son of her former commander. As the show goes by, at the end of every episode it counts down how many days Mahoro has left, which the countdown starts at 398 days.
Through out the show, we meet many characters. From guys like Suguru to a teacher who wants Suguru all to her self. Here some of the important characters.
- Mahoro, the andriod, is a very nice and friendly to about everyone she meets. She becomes a regular at the market with everyone greeting her in a very nice fashion. She becomes popular at Suguru's school as well for being Suguru's maid. While lovable, she does not like ecchi things at all. During the show she constantly goes after Suguru's secret stash of porn magazines and becomes an expert at finding them. She doesn't like ecchi things, but she is always concerned about her appearance and is sometimes troubled by her small breasts.
- Suguru Misato is a junior high school student living in Tokyo. He lost both his parents and lived alone before Mahoro came. While he believed his father was killed in an accident during a business trip, he was actually a commander (and Mahoro's commanding officer) in Vesper and was KIA during the alien war. Suguru is a very smart boy for his age and girls of his class like that. He also has an affection for dirty magazines which end up being confiscated by Mahoro. Suguru is noted to be a very fast runner when he is being chased by someone.
- Minawa, introduced in the second season, is an android created by The Management. She is a very clumsy and shy, but she is also kind at heart. Suguru's friend Toshiya develops a crush on her and tries to get her to like her during the second season. So there isn't any confusion, Suguru tells his classmates that she is Mahoro's younger sister.
- Slash, "support mech" assists Mahoro during combat. He has the form of a panther and can be summoned at any time by Mahoro. Although used for combat in the past, he often now acts as a guard dog around the Misato residence.
"I think that dirty thoughts are bad!"
- Saori Shikijo is Suguru's teacher and a shotacon. She tries to seduce Suguru during the course of the show, buy Mahoro always stops it. She is a heavy drinker and she is usually poor. She often invites herself over to Suguru's house to have dinner with them which Mahoro does not like. She is a rival towards Mahoro and often competes with her, but Mahoro wins most of the time.
- Miyuki Sakura is a classmate of Suguru and a childhood friend.She is a tomboyish girl. She has a crush on Suguru.
- Rin Todoriki is a classmate of Suguru. She is very ladylike, but a very skilled martial artist. Like Miyuki, she has a crush on Suguru. Of the three girls, she has the biggest breats and Miyuki and Chizuko always complain, but she becomes more comfortable with her breasts.
- Chizuko Oe is classmate of Suguru. She is a bright and cheerful girl who is very innocent. She loves food and goes ballistic when she tries something that's very good. Like the other girls, she loves Suguru as well.
- Toshiya Hamaguchi, a class mate of Suguru. Like Suguru, he loves dirty magazines as well. She develops a crush for Minawa and tries to get her to go out with him.
- Kiyomi Kawahara, another classmate of Suguru. Like the other two boys, he likes dirty magazines as well. He is a very good at kendo and is usually with Toshiya.
Mahoro, Miyuki (blue hair), Rin (brown hair), and Chizuko (blonde)
- Toh Ryuga, and android made by Saint. He has fought Mahoro many times on the field, but he usually lost or it was a draw.
As a fan of the genre (romcom harem) I had to check this one out. Surprisingly, I liked it more then I thought I would.
I first glance I thought this may have been the same-oh same-oh romantic comedy. Boy meets girl, boy falls in love with girl, etc. Well, I guess you could say it's like that, but with the sci-fi elements, it makes the show stand out. Well, that and all the ecchi stuff the show has.
The story starts out simple. Mahoro moves into Suguru's house. You see days of their life go by while Mahoro days of her lifespan go down. During the show you get some back story to Mahoro, which is great. Besides her, you get some background on Vesper, Saint, and Management and their roles. With out getting to deep into spoiler territory, I will say it was interesting.
Yep, this show is ecchi.
The cast of characters were great as well. You go Mahoro who is a former combat android who ends up being a made, Shikijo sensei who is madly in love with Suguru, Chizuko who goes balls to the walls end she eats something delicious. In the end, you just end up with a goofy cast of lovable characters.
For the other things, I liked the music. Nothing groundbreaking, but It was solid overall. The animation as solid as well for being an early 2000 show. The animation was iffy and times, but for the most part, it was good. I really enjoyed the art. It was colorful,vibrant, and it felt like each character stood out. I guess point out the ecchi stuff There is tons of it and it's all uncensored. HELL YEAH! :P It may be a turn off for some, but with my perverted mind, I enjoyed it. With out going into to much detail, you do see all the girls naked.
For the things I didn't like, there isn't much. I will say how the show ends is a little disappointing. Of course this is a show, like many, that ends before the actual manga ends, so the ending just lets you hang with no clear conclusion to the story. The other thing was the animation. For the most part, it was great, but some small things here and there could have been touched up.
With the two things I didn't like, I loved everything else. I ended up loving this show more then I thought I would. A great cast of characters, simple but deep story as the show goes, good music, great animation, and uncensored boobs, it was hard for me to hate this show.
Review in a Nutshell
- Great characters
- Simple story that gets deeper as it goes
- Great production values for when it was released. (2001)
- Uncensored Nudity (I'm a pervert, I know. :P )
- Colorful and vibrant characters and backgrounds
I didn't like:
- The ending was disappointing, leaves yo you hanging.
- Small production bugs here and there.
If you are fan of the romcom/harem genre and don't mind lots of nudity and fan service, check it out. If you are a fan of ecchi comedies, this is a must watch. If you don't like nudity/fan service, try it out and see what you think before venturing further into the show. If you are a fan of deep romance shows, this may not be for you.
My Score - 5/5
With all great anime, it comes to an end and you have to move on. Next I decided to watch Shakugan no Shana
, a familiar show to some. It's been on my radar for a while and thought I would check it out now. I do have a quick question about the series, is the movie canon? I was looking up some info about it and seen there is a movie for the show. I'm not sure if it's canon, so if my fellow Vicers could help me, that would be great.
As the days go by, the release of Super Street Fighter IV is getting closer. I'm nerding out a little bit more each day and want it NOW!