Hello everyone! This is a summary of the Kodansha panel at Anime Expo, July 5th at 7PM. I thought I can transcribe an hour of audio recording, but it seems insane. I tried another method to put the whole audio recording here, but I didn't find a trustworthy site. If you want to hear the actual audio recording, I have a dropbox account that I used for school. Just PM me your email, and I'll send a dropbox invite.
Here is a report on the Kodansha panel!
Kodansha Panel by Ben Applegate
Hosted by Ben Applegate.
The panel starts off with an Attack on Titan trailer. Then, Ben and the rest of Kodansha panel are proud to present a list of manga series that they are proud to release this year. Ben Applegate and his staff announce that Kodansha is going into e-books while Nook, Google, Kindle, and Apple Library. However, Kodansha cannot get everything into the e-books such as Sailor Moon due to licensing issues. Then, Ben and his staff state that they are doing a manga acceleration, one volume per month for Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail, to catch up to the Japanese releases. One of the manga series that Ben is excited is called Vinland Saga. The seies is coming out October 8. He and his staff are splitting Vinland Saga's original tankobon in smaller chunks for the North American Release.
[Will fill in later...]
Ben Applegate's Recommendations
- Sankarea - For people who want adorable and bloody manga.
- Sherlock Bones
- No. 6
- Vinland Saga
Q & A Session
Note: I haven't completed the section. It's a big section. I will complete this section by tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience. It's been hard to hear some of the questions in the audio recorder because the audience don't have access to a microphone. I'll go over the audio recording and proofread the sections below. Below here, is a few stuff I jot down in my notebook.
- Q: What is the status of the Sailor Moon artbook?
- A: Due to priorities with the manga acceleration, e-books, and publishing the newer series, Sailor Moon art book is delayed.
- Q: Why did Kodansha remove the extras in the Sailor Moon's original Japanese tankobon.
- A: The Author of Sailor Moon request Kodansha America to not publish these extras.
- Q: Why aren't there any new Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei volumes released?
- A: Since the first few volumes did not sell well, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is delayed but it's being released slowly. The issues with the series are that the translation pages and the translation of the cultural jokes are expensive to produce.
- Q: Will the manga print get color pages like their original Japanese tankobon counterparts?
- A: If the print cost is too expensive, the manga print will not get the color pages. However, digital manga will have the color pages only if the original Japaneese Tankobon has the color pages. If the Japanese magazines have color pages but not the original tankobon, Ben Applegate cannot put the color pages. He only has files for the original tankobon.
|Humankind is down to just a few thousand people who live in a city surrounded by three concentric walls. The walls protect them from their enemies, the ravenous giants known as the Titans. The Titans appear to have only one purpose: to consume humanity. For one hundred years, what's left of mankind has lived in the city on earth, protected by walls that tower over even the Titans. Untouched by the Titans for a century, humanity has become complacent. But Eren Jaeger has had enough. While his fellow citizens are content to hide, Jaeger has the passion to take action to not only protect the city, but to learn what the Titans actually are. On his first mission he comes face to face with horrors beyond his imagination... and secrets from his own past that could shift the tides of war.|
|Lucy is a 17-year-old girl, who wants to join a mage guild to become a full-fledged mage. One day when visiting Harujion Town, she meets Natsu (and his talking cat Happy), a young man who is looking for the salamander and who helps her get out of a sticky situation. That’s when she find out that Natsu not only is a mage, but is also a member of one of the world’s most infamous mage guilds: Fairy Tail.|
|The manga reincarnates the famous fictional detective Sherlock Holmes as a talking dog named Sherdock. The detective dog solves mysterious crimes with an ordinary high school boy named Takeru Wajima.|
|Since he was little, Chihiro has felt an unusual emotional connection to zombie movies. It’s not that he feels bad for the survivors – instead he fantasizes about comforting the poor undead girls they slaughter! When his beloved pet passes away, he decides to brew up a resurrection potion in secret. But he’s discovered by popular girl and local heiress Sanka Rea, whose life isn’t as perfect as it seems… and Furuya suggests that she could serve as a test subject!|
|Thorfinn is son to one of the Viking's greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears his intent to have revenge. Thorfinn joins Askeladd's group in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.|
|Nozomu Itoshiki, a very pessimistic high school teacher, tries to hang himself on a cherry blossom tree. Despite his best efforts, he is saved by a very optimistic girl known as Kafuka Fūra. She explains to him that it is simply unforgivable to hang himself on a day such a nice day, especially in front of such beautiful trees. She decides to nickname Nozomu "Pink Supervisor", offering to pay him fifty yen to do so. After having enough of the strange girl, Nozomu bolts to the school and starts his homeroom class, but the attempt was in vain as he finds that the girl is one of his students.|
Note: These series will be on Kodansha e-books.