Hello Vice! Hope you're all doing well. I kind of decided to start this Weekly report purely on a whim; mainly because I'm running away from my school work, and because I'm super caffeinated and can't go to sleep (it's 3 a.m here and I still haven't figured out if I'm shaking because I'm cold or if its because of the HUGE amount of coffee I drank).
(EDIT: Just realized I misspelled "Genesis" for the title of the blogpost.....whoops! I really need to sleep XD)
Alright! So without further ado, I present to you the first Guilty Crown Weekly Report - Series Premiere Edition; Episode 1: Genesis (発生 - "Hassei" ) Enjoy!
In the year 2029, an alien pandemic spreads all over the Japan after a devastating meteor crash, driving the country into total chaos. An international organization by the name GHQ enters Japan, putting it in a state of martial law, and implanting the idea that they cannot do anything to protect themselves without their aid.
10 years pass, and we now see the world of "Guilty Crown" through the eyes of Shu Ouma, an average 17-year-old teenager who lives a normal life. However, his normal life style is soon shattered after his chance encounter with Inori Yuzuriha, who eventually involves him with the anti-government group she is a part of.
Here's a list of the main characters that were introduced during the pilot episode.
|The protagonist of the series. He is a 17-year-old second year high school student who is part of the school's modern image and video research club.|
|She is the 16-year-old vocalist of the a popular band called Egoist. She also seems to have a connection with an anti-government group.|
|A strong young man who is against the government's regime. He is well-known for his strength and is both revered and feared by many.|
1) The first thing that drew me in was the genre. I have an obsession with both sci-fi and post-apocalyptic genres. They're so mind-boggling and I find that you can take in a lot of valuable lessons from the plot lines and characters. Being a big Code Geass fan myself, I've been on a constant search for an anime that would have a similar approach to it, and I think Guilty Crown might hit the target. We'll have to wait and see.
2) What also drew me in was the art. Let's face it, when the appearance of the characters and settings are well done, it'll instantly grab the person who is watching's attention. I actually came across Guilty Crown after seeing it's ads on some random anime webpage; and it was the style that hooked me. RedJuice Graphics. are the animators of this series, if you are interested in checking out their website, follow the link.
3) Melodic opening song - The anime opens with Inori Yuzuriha's singing voice; which, in my opinion, was more captivating than her rather clad outfit.
4) The main character, Shu, is pretty whimpy for a main character. Its a change that we dont really see since most of the shonen anime out there have steadfast heroes that don't seem to get fazed easily.
5) Finally, the best part of the entire episode (in my opinion) was the EPIC fight scene with Gai Tsutsugami. Who woulda thought a pretty boy like him would have that in him, eh?
1) Maybe it's just me, but I think Inori Yuzuriha's outfit is a little too skimpy perhaps.......(?)
2) Another point is that I found that Inori seemed a little too helpless. I dont wanna get too into it, but I don't like it when anime convey women as "tools" to get power.
Well that's all I have to say about the Guilty Crown season premiere. I'm pumped to see the rest, and I hope you guys are too. If you have any comments or questions regarding this episode, post them here. Or if you just wanna voice your opinions, go right ahead! It'll be great to get your opinions and generate a discussion :D
Thanks for checking out this article! I really appreciate it :)
I'd also strongly suggest you guys and gals to check out the other Weekly Reports out there. There are many amazing reports being done by many of the Vice's editors and bloggers. Be sure to check them out and comment!
Aaaand that's a wrap folks! I'm starting to feel the crash that accompanies every caffeine high. Hope to see you in next week's Guilty Crown Weekly Report: Ep 2 - "Survival of the Fittest".
- KuroNekoXIII (KuroNeko, Neko. Call me whichever you want :D )
Member of Team W.I.K.I Nation