I shipped off a few questions about FUNimation's acquisition of Phantom ~Requiem of the Phantom~, and here were the results:
1) Has the Phantom deal been in the works for a while, or did it come up at the last second? Can you tell us why FUNi began being able to simul-broadcast the series four episodes in?
Yes, we've been working on the Phantom deal for a few months. We are pleased that we could stream the first four episodes of the series in order to catch up with the current episode airing in Japan.
2) The show actually airs at 2615 on Thursday (aka 2:15am on Friday). Thursday at 10:30am CST is only 12:30am on Friday in Japan-- does that mean that the streaming US version will actually be earlier than Japan's broadcast, or have I miscalculated?
The math! The math! And I said in college "I'll never need math! I'm going to be making TV!" Kids, stay in school and pay attention because I promise you -- it WILL all come up again in the future. Seriously, both TV Tokyo and Media Factory have confirmed that the series airs in Japan on Thursdays at 2:15 a.m. (which is 12:15 pm Wednesday in Dallas, 10:15 am Wednesday in Portland). And we streaming after the broadcast. So 10:30 am in Dallas is 12:30 am the next day in Tokyo, which technically is within 24 hours of the broadcast in Japan.
(Gia's Note: I hate the way they offer anime timetables in Japan-- it's so confusing. Basically the show airs a day earlier than I thought.)
3) In what countries is the stream available? The same as all the other FUNimation.com videos (i.e Canada too)?
U.S. and Canada.
4) I see the series is rated TV-MA, with a birthday checker. How old do you need to be to get through?
18 years old.
5) Does FUNimation have any more surprises like this up its sleeve for the Spring '09 season?
We have nothing planned at this time but hope to do more same week, even same day, simulcasts in the future. The fans' desire to view them is definitely there!
6) Has FUNimation acquired DVD rights as well as streaming for Phantom? Any other rights we should know about?
Not at this time.