YU YU HAKUSHO's Just As Sharp Today As It Was In The 90s

Topic started by PerryVandell on Nov. 2, 2011. Last post by SycoMantis91 1 month ago.
Post by PerryVandell (1 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff
Post by kashif1 (1,813 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I love this anime so much
Post by metalsnakezero (670 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Tom, you need to get over the fact that the first episode of some shows may not grab you and you'll may need to go deep to see why they do that unless it continues to be really bad build up.

Anyway yeah Yu Yu Hakusho is a great piece of work.

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19

at least you tried to say my name

Post by rubberluffy (583 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Online Now

Hey what a coincidence, I've been rewatching this series the past few days, just got to episode 72. Fantastic series, but I can't tell if I like it or HxH more. Leaning towards YYH....

Post by Bigheart711 (3,805 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Definitely agree with everyone here! The Yu Yu Hakusho series is some great stuff.

Post by Vortextk (13 posts) See mini bio Level 4

Favorite long running shounen action whatever I've ever watched. Seen the full thing like three times now. Love the english cast.

And your friend was very smart for wanting you to start at the beginning. Without a lot of the character and personalities, midway into the series it would be hard to view it as anything other than a by the numbers dbz power level tournament fighter(which it is in general).

Post by GlenTennis (3 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff

I haven't seen much anime, but Yu Yu Hakusho is my favorite by far. Except that last season. That never happened.

Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Yeah...I really don't want to talk about it that much but this show almost destroyed me. I was writing fan fiction and on quizilla non stop for about a year living and breathing this show. Now...I look back realize it was nothing more than a folly.

Post by LiquidSwords (24 posts) See mini bio Level 9

DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho were the series me and my friends would rent from a Japanese rental shop (Bootlegs of course) in high school in the 90's. Loved the series and was surprised when in came to the states.

@ZombiePie said:

Yeah...I really don't want to talk about it that much but this show almost destroyed me. I was writing fan fiction and on quizilla non stop for about a year living and breathing this show. Now...I look back realize it was nothing more than a folly.

Banned!

Post by Moonshadow101 (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3

Enjoyed the hell out of when I was bit younger. Re-watched a substantial portion a few months ago, and was surprised by how good it still was. I'm not thrilled by a lot of the character design, and Kuwabara's so-called "comic relief" is often more annoying than funny, but overall my view is still pretty positive.

Post by Ronin147 (1 posts) See mini bio Level 4

I love Yu Yu Hakusho, I tend to give an anime 10 episodes to get me hooked I think that's usually the sweet spot of whether I will like it or not.

Post by Arc209 (8 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@GlenTennis said:

I haven't seen much anime, but Yu Yu Hakusho is my favorite by far. Except that last season. That never happened.

Pretty much this. I love this show, watched it when it was on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim when I was like 9-12, even dressed up as Hiei one Halloween. I watched the whole series again about a year ago, still love it! But man that last saga/arc after Sensui...

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Great show for everything up to the end of the Dark Tournament. After that, it's as other people have said with the final saga being an utter disappointment. While Yu Yu Hakusho might be a prime example of how to begin a series and it's also an example of how not to end a series. Still, Kuwabara is one of my all-time favorite characters, so I can't fault it too strongly.

Post by ComicMan24 (8,759 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I haven't never watched that show. But I have thought of checking it and I have heard very good things from a lot of people about it but it has too many episodes.But maybe later. Who knows.

Post by UsbCable (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6

This is one of those old ass Animes that holds a special place in my heart. I watched the entire series over 4 times in the pass do to reruns on TV and watched it all again earlier this year when I finally bought the dvd sent (just in time for the Blu-ray).

Post by johnnythewolf (2 posts) See mini bio Level 2

First time! :)

I agree that the first episodes, where Yusuke tries to prove himself to King Koenma in order to come back to life, are pretty solid and engaging; even the slightly cheesier encounter with the three demon fugitives was still interesting to watch. However, when the first tournament with the old sensei woman began is where my interest started to drop alarmingly fast. This is a show I really want to like, but starting with that tournament part everything described in the video seems to have been replaced by the usual shonen clichés and contrivances; the redheaded chap - previously established as an abysmal combatant - suddenly becomes some sort of elite fighter with superpowers able to rival world-class trained killers and warriors while everyone else just sits tight and comments in true Dragon Ball Z fashion. Make no mistake, I like Dragon Ball, but I thought this show was supposed to be somehow different... and cleverer.

Is the rest of the show like that, or does it get better?

Post by tigerex78 (7 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I enjoyed this series. Yusuke is one of those guys that you enjoy watching. The way he wins some of his fights is funny and cool.

Post by Solh0und (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3

YYH was a great series. Hell,even the dub is awesome.

Post by Arc209 (8 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@johnnythewolf: If that is the way you feel starting with the Genkai tournament then you probably won't like the rest of the series period because after this it is pretty much Yusuke and the gang fighting stronger baddies. I mean you could end up liking the Dark Tournament arc just because of the awesome fights but if you are watching this show expecting more then Shonen, you probably will not like where it's headed.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel