YU YU HAKUSHO #24 -- Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Jan. 25, 2012. Last post by AgentJ 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
BLAMMO!
BLAMMO!

Did you read that above?

CAN’T.
GET.
ENOUGH.

Seriously, this one had a fight where the whole split-second-attack-followed-by-a-delayed-reaction-to-injury gag so typical to anime actually involved the hero feeling his enemy up in mid-air and then deciding what he found made it OK to kick that enemy into a wall because the “she” he thought was fighting was actually a “he.” It ain’t PC, nor that sophisticated, but damn if I wasn’t rewinding this after every single gag because it was making me cackle so hard.

The dub team’s obviously been having some fun injecting humor into the dialog, but they seriously let it rip with this one. I felt like watching some “lip read” of an anime on YouTube that was actually made by, you know, talented professionals. Like, I bet the whole escalation of bets amongst the mob bosses capped off at a more conservative figure in the Japanese, but they knew they just had to push the gag far enough to make it this amount so absurd it actually dwarfs real national GDP’s. And there all the banter about Kuwabara being such a bleeding heart gentlemen that he was actually creeping Hiei’s sister out with his very grandmotherly ESP power.

What’s funny is that, again, the action here is more kickass than any number of humorless, self-serious shonen shows precisely because it isn’t afraid to go over the top and have a good a laugh while doing so. Even after Yusuke gives the one Triad a squeeze 'n rub, the “fight design” with her hanging him from the rafters was some seriously frenetic and inventive brawling.

I’ll wait until I get to episode 25 to decide whether it’s a good idea to take the plunge and continue following this into “the Dark Tournament,” but I certainly want to, right now.

Look up this episode, "The Deadly Triad" and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here & here. Follow him on Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by mrfluke (11 posts) See mini bio Level 5

you got to dude, dark tournament is the reason people love this series

Post by Top8cat (71 posts) See mini bio Level 6

Do it, DO IT! The dark tournament has selected your name!

Post by vexing (1 posts) See mini bio Level 4

It's really fun to read the impressions of someone who hasn't watched this before. Yu Yu Hakusho has a special place in my heart, since it was the first anime I knew was an anime as I watched it. Probably right about this point in the show's original Cartoon Network run my family took a week long vacation, so I taped it while we were away. My brother and I wanted to watch it when we got back, but my sick mom was planted in front of the TV. She begrudgingly let us watch while she laid there, and by the end of the taped week she was also a huge fan. We watched the rest of the show together. So, like I said, it's a special show to me.

Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Arcs like this aren't really done in modern Shonen anime anymore, where the protagonist absolutely stomps the shit out of his opponents (I suppose it happens in One Piece every so often). It's a really effective way to show how far his abilities have come over the span of the series thus far.

Post by Top8cat (71 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@AgentJ said:

Arcs like this aren't really done in modern Shonen anime anymore, where the protagonist absolutely stomps the shit out of his opponents (I suppose it happens in One Piece every so often). It's a really effective way to show how far his abilities have come over the span of the series thus far.

One of the reasons why I stopped watching Dragon Ball Z halfway through the cell sage, it really irritated me when I was younger. They're Super Saiyans/Namekian who just defeated the supposedly strongest thing in the Universe, and now you're telling me these androids made by a scientist on earth can best them.

@Top8cat said:

@AgentJ said:

One of the reasons why I stopped watching Dragon Ball Z halfway through the cell sage, it really irritated me when I was younger. They're Super Saiyans/Namekian who just defeated the supposedly strongest thing in the Universe, and now you're telling me these androids made by a scientist on earth can best them.

One of the nice things about the series is that they never made crazy statements about how powerful the opponents were, until the final arc. And after that, Togashi had the good sense to end it all, because there would not likely have been a reasonable villain powerful enough yet making sense in the Yu Yu world.

Post by yoshimitz707 (9 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Onwards to the dark tournament!

Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The Dark Tournament huh?

SO. MUCH. NOSTALGIA.

Post by Afroman269 (28 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@AgentJ

@Top8cat said:

@AgentJ said:

One of the nice things about the series is that they never made crazy statements about how powerful the opponents were, until the final arc. And after that, Togashi had the good sense to end it all, because there would not likely have been a reasonable villain powerful enough yet making sense in the Yu Yu world.

The demon class bullshit that was introduced in the Chapter Black saga was what ruined it for me.

*spoiler warning*

I was pissed after witnessing the awesome Toguro fight and then being told that he only ranks as a class B demon when there are S class world eaters out there.

I enjoyed the last saga because of how tightly paced the whole thing was. It only suffered from the exaggerated power level bullshit introduced in the previous saga.

If there's one thing I liked about the Chapter Black stuff it would have to be the elaborate "trap/test" Genki set up at the beginning of the saga. That stuff was smart.
Post by zaldar (1,288 posts) See mini bio Level 15

not for me but glad you are enjoying it. Give me diaoh or such for comedy anyday

Spoilers ahead, so DON'T READ THIS TOM. (The spoiler tag never seems to work properly for me)

@Afroman269: I felt like it made sense though. I mean, what reason would the kings of the demon realm have to participate in some tournament? (Besides, they couldn't get to the human realm anyway thanks to the barrier). Additionally, why wouldn't a former Spirit Detective that had been tested for 20+ years not be as strong or stronger than Yusuke? Toguro was strong, but in the end he was doing odd jobs as a mercenary. It would be stupid for him to be the strongest being alive. He didn't have some grand scheme. He was pretty much in it for the money.

Post by Afroman269 (28 posts) See mini bio Level 9
@AgentJ I'm not saying that it didn't make any sense, it's just off putting. You can definitely provide story context to justify the higher power level but it feels like they just squandered the long build up of how powerful Toguro was, you know, the whole 80-90% of his power.

There really isn't any other character that had such a build up like with Toguro and I was supremely disappointed to see his power being downplayed like it was a child or something.

@Afroman269 said:

@AgentJ I'm not saying that it didn't make any sense, it's just off putting. You can definitely provide story context to justify the higher power level but it feels like they just squandered the long build up of how powerful Toguro was, you know, the whole 80-90% of his power. There really isn't any other character that had such a build up like with Toguro and I was supremely disappointed to see his power being downplayed like it was a child or something.

Fair enough. I guess they didn't have to ramp it up as far as they did afterwards.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel