VIZ Speaks on Shojo Beat Closure

Topic started by gia on May 19, 2009. Last post by nixon 5 years, 3 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Just got back from a walk and a hair cut to the following word from VIZ spokeswoman Ev in response to my request for comment on Shojo Beat shutting down:

Yes, the final issue of Shojo Beat magazine will be the July 2009 issue which is on newsstands June 16th. We are very proud of the past issues of Shojo Beat magazine and the efforts of the entire team. The magazine developed quite a fan base but unfortunately in today's difficult economic climate we felt the need to place our resources elsewhere at this time.

Of course all of our great shojo manga titles previously serialized in Shojo Beat magazine will still be published and available as graphic novels under the Shojo Beat imprint from VIZ Media. Each Shojo Beat Subscriber will be receiving a free copy of the August issue of Shonen Jump magazine with the pertinent information on what their subscription/refund options will be.

Subscribers and fans of shojo manga can get the latest information on all new Shojo Beat titles and news by visiting www.shojobeat.com. :)

And yes, it is the same information that's being sent to, well, pretty much all of us who requested comment on the matter, I'm sure. :)

So it sounds like current Shojo Beat subscribers will have more options that simply a continued subscription with Shonen Jump as repayment for their subscriptions, although they clearly will receive that one issue, which I'm glad to hear (although I'm sure more than a few Beat readers will be content to continue with Jump, if they don't already have subscriptions).

Other than that, I'm disiinclined to read more into the closure of Shojo Beat than VIZ's removal of a project that didn't seem to be carrying its weight, which is a common enough act from the publisher. We'll miss the mag, and of course it's sad to see yet another print outlet for manga to be removed, but I wouldn't worry too much about VIZ's future or anything like that, if you were inclined to.

Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I'm tempted to say something stupid like "Printed media is such a noob thing", but really, I like printed manga...something physical you can carry with you without needing an internet connection... And plus there's a novelty sort of to magazines like Otaku USA (and Newtype...) that makes it worth it.

Heck, reading a professional magazine article about moe that's written by Wildarmsheero is worth buying a copy inofitself...
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I enjoy printed media, and I really prefer comic anthologies over buying individual issues. They all end up in collections anyway. It will be sad to see it go.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
This really blows. I've had Shoujo Beat since Issue one... augh.  Adding to the general despair of another magazine biting the dust, i'm going to have to buy every volume of all the stuff i want to continue reading, from the begining. Also, i already subscribe to shounen jump.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Heero: I agree, no one wants print to go under, it just isn't a profitable medium against the backdrop of other options.
Post by MorpheusDreamweaver (93 posts) See mini bio Level 1
That sucks. I've been a subscriber since the first issue, even though I'm definitely not the target demographic.

I guess I'll have to start deciding which titles I like enough to go back and buy the collections.

At least I'm not going to get stuck with an unwanted Shonen Jump subscription.
Post by nixon (3 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I bought an issue and enjoyed it but the pink and white pages were impossible to read.  If it was printed like how shonen jump, by viz, I would've subscribed.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel