Vertical to Publish Tezuka Essays

Topic started by gia on Oct. 4, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Tezuka: mangaka, doctor, essayist.
 Tezuka: mangaka, doctor, essayist.
If you want anime and manga essays from the guys who have made the best, you have to hit the Vs: VIZ and Vertical. A while ago VIZ announced that it would be publishing Starting Point, essays by Hayao Miyazaki from earlier in  his career (1979-1996).

Now Vertical is raising the bar: according to anime expert Helen McCarthy, Vertical Inc.'s Ed Chavez tipped her off that the company, which publishes Osamu Tezuka's manga Black Jack and Dororo, among others, is going to translate and publish some of Tezuka's essays as well.

Tezuka wrote over 500 essays from 1950 to 1989, from top ten lists to book reviews to science pieces. Many of his essays, of course, revolved around manga and anime, such as "To 'Manga University Students' from an author - Don't Drown in Kids' Manga," which sounds like a pretty interesting work. Anyone who's interested in anime from a scholarly standpoint (as opposed to pure enjoyment-- and there's nothing wrong with that, by the way) will want to keep an eye out for whatever Vertical produces.

Anyone up for it? Besides me?
Post by JackSukeru (402 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I have to say I don't know a whole lot about Tezuka. But since reading a few of his essays might proide some insight into his character, I'm definetly interested.
Post by Kuro (559 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I'd much rather buy Tezuka essays than Miyazaki essays. Score!
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Hell yes! Score for the academics! "Legitimate scholarly" sources are hard to find, and essays from manga creators would really be a way of strengthening and adding to any argument.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Lan: Absolutely, an excellent point!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel