Watch & Learn: TRIGUN #13

Topic started by No_name_here on Dec. 12, 2010. Last post by ZombiePie 3 years, 7 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
 Beneath the mega-roids, the ultra-weapons and the none-too-catchy name... this guy's actually a big wimp.
 Beneath the mega-roids, the ultra-weapons and the none-too-catchy name... this guy's actually a big wimp.

Episode 13. I should’ve known it’d be a recap. I figured it’d come a little later on, but we are at the halfway point already. I’m sure these probably would’ve been drag if you were watching this when it first came out and looking forward to new content every week, but I have to say these kind of episodes have always been helpful to remind me of just what the hell I’ve been watching. Maybe I haven’t been watching these as attentively as I could, but I find it a lot easier to remember what’s come before when I’m reading something serialized as opposed to watching it. You’d figure it’d be the opposite, what with your auditory memory being more lasting than your visual memory…

I’m starting to wonder if there might be some earlier anime that TRIGUN’s goofing on, because Vash sure as hell feels like a spoof of your average stone cold bad ass. Meryl speculates that all the foppery might be a calculated cover to hide his sinister nature, but man, I don’t figure a demon would ever act that ridiculous. Then again, if John Wayne Gacy spent a lot of time dressed as a clown…

I don’t know if any guy can properly have a reputation for womanizing when he never actually gets any women. For all his pick-up lines, the only action Vash has gotten so far is the kind involving diving for cover. Then again, they do start dropping hints that Meryl’s got a thing for him in this one - - she has that Freudian slip, her eyes drift down to his package, and so on - - so maybe this is a case of her “protesting too much” and projecting a possibly non-existent reputation on Vash.

Then again, maybe that’s giving this show a little too much credit when it comes to psychology. It’s not like it’s EVA...  

Watch this episode, “Vash the Stampede,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.      

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here &   here . Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Oh no not the recap!! No!!!
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
Actually, the part of the rumor of Vash being a womanizer was based off thee man we met in the first episode. The one Milly and Meryl first met and mistook for Vash. You can tell since he started with describing him as 12 feet tall with a mohawk. Not to mention, the bar owner was only naming things he heard. Reputations are often embellished as the story spreads. People add their own parts. It also doesn't help with how many people ran around using Vash's name for fear or status.
Though, that large guy they first met and mistook for Vash was a womanizer. The real Vash is more an incorrigible flirt.

I've never been a fan of the recap. It's time wasted watching stuff I already saw once before. It's one of the herdles preventing me from watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I already watched one version of this anime, and Brotherhood starts off the very same way. I can't just avoid several of the first episodes. 
There was a problem in this episode since it had Milly and Meryl talking about events they weren't even present for as if they heard the conversations.

What redeems this episode was some of the more subtle touches it gives, such as Meryl's little slip up. We also see the price not killing anyone has cost Vash on his body.

The anime Code Geass had a recap episode when the first season originally aired on TV, but it was never considered a part of the series. Since it was strictly recap, it never appeared in the DVD release.
Post by zaldar (1,239 posts) See mini bio Level 15
interesting didn't know that about code geass foxx thanks.  No this isn't eva but I don't think your reading gives the show to much credit.  I mean most all anime gets at least that deep.  But no this show isn't eva (though it does get deeper)
Staff
@buhssuht said:
" Oh no not the recap!! No!!! "
Run for your lives!
Staff
@zaldar said:
No this isn't eva but I don't think your reading gives the show to much credit.  I mean most all anime gets at least that deep.  But no this show isn't eva (though it does get deeper) 
Deeper psychological profiles doesn't necessarily mean better, but it is worth noting that, at least so far, this doesn't look like it'll get into all that talk of hidden motivations and so on like EVA did.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said: 
What redeems this episode was some of the more subtle touches it gives, such as Meryl's little slip up. We also see the price not killing anyone has cost Vash on his body.
Yeah, that was a very Batman moment. 

" Actually, the part of the rumor of Vash being a womanizer was based off thee man we met in the first episode. The one Milly and Meryl first met and mistook for Vash. 
Ha... that guy didn't look he'd get too many girls, though.
I've never been a fan of the recap. It's time wasted watching stuff I already saw once before. It's one of the herdles preventing me from watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I already watched one version of this anime, and Brotherhood starts off the very same way. I can't just avoid several of the first episodes. 
Yeah, I know I'd probably have a less favorable appreciation of these if I were coming from a different situation.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,639 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now
@Tom_Pinchuk: 
I knew you were going to bring up all of Batman's scars, but Vash's are like that times 100.

" Ha... that guy didn't look he'd get too many girls, though. "

Well, they did call him the worst kind of womanizer. I'm not suer a crass brute such as him cares much about willingness.

" Yeah, I know I'd probably have a less favorable appreciation of these if I were coming from a different situation.  "

I heard once about how the recap was often a device used in TV that allows for the cast to take vacations since they don't need to do much filming. 

This episode more feels like it's raising the questions of which is the real Vash through Meryl's perspective. For her, it's sort of a "deconstructing Vash". While interesting, it wasn't balanced this well since it had so many long scenes shown uninterrupted.
Post by Organicalistic_ (182 posts) See mini bio Level 12
that dude in the photo looks kinda like jet from bebop
Post by zaldar (1,239 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @zaldar said:
No this isn't eva but I don't think your reading gives the show to much credit.  I mean most all anime gets at least that deep.  But no this show isn't eva (though it does get deeper) 
Deeper psychological profiles doesn't necessarily mean better, but it is worth noting that, at least so far, this doesn't look like it'll get into all that talk of hidden motivations and so on like EVA did. "
I don't know I haven't found a time when deeper didn't mean better but that is just my taste I guess.  Anywho looking forward to seeing what you think of this one, and your next video presentation....maybe you should do one related to fma in an alchemical circle....hmm you could be trying to bond my soul to a peice of armor even...
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
You notice how as much as Vash flirts, when it comes to brass tacks he doesn't close the deal, even going so far as to pretend to be too drunk to stand at one point?

Yeah, something going on there.

As for deeper not always meaning better, the countervailing concern to depth is economy of detail.  You don't want to give detail just for the sake of being exhaustive, you want to give detail to the degree that the audience needs to have it to understand what's going on and why.
Post by ZombiePie (861 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Bump, make them say UGGGGHHH.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel