Watch & Learn: TRIGUN #12

Topic started by No_name_here on Dec. 9, 2010. Last post by lionellaflare 3 years, 7 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
 Put this guy's face on a gatefold chromium variant cover shrink-wrapped with a trading card, why don't you?
 Put this guy's face on a gatefold chromium variant cover shrink-wrapped with a trading card, why don't you?

Hoo boy. Darfox8 mentioned that Todd McFarlane was a big influence on the creator of TRIGUN, and Lurkero said more 90s-looking villains were due - -  and no episode so far has worn either notion as proudly on its sleeves as this one. Good lord, Monev the Gale looks like he stepped right out of Spawn’s rogues gallery! I’ve watched more than 150 episodes of anime for this column and never has me comics background felt as relevant as it has, now. The early 90s in superheroes have been singled out as the “extreme” era - - one with a distinct (and much-maligned) art style - - and this looked like one of those comics in motion. Hell, not even THE MAXX cartoon fit the bill as well as this did.

I don’t think the wires in my brain have ever been as crossed as they are now. This looks like a 90s comic and it looks like a manga. It has the mood of angsty 90s comic and it’s got the wacky tone of TRIGUN. It’s got so much of what’s been so reviled about early 90s comics and I still enjoyed it tremendously.  

My mind really can’t adequately comprehend what I’ve just witnessed.

Um… so to focus on something, we’re finally seeing more sides of Vash. We’ve got his dark side, the one that probably earned him his vile reputation. If his eyes glowing evily and shadows shrouding his face didn’t clue you in, maybe you’re too naïve. We also got to see his ghost in that Rem girl (hopefully she isn’t a form of the same Rem I already know from DEATH NOTE.) So his policy against killing is part of a promise to her? If he breaks it, she’ll be doomed? Is that it?

I’m definitely seeing what ninjadude853 was saying about things getting heavy with this one. Woooo….

Watch this episode, “Diablo,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.      

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS! & UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon here &   here.  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,640 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I knew you were going to compare this guy to a Spawn character. I thought the same thing when I saw this episode the first time. He has the bulked up steroid abuser look with a small head that was infamous in most Image comics.

This episode is one of my favorites, because it's our first real look into Vash's dark side. How they always say it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. Vash witnesses this utter slaughter of innocents and he snaps.
I loved the psychological aspect of the scene with Legato. and the little girl. It looks as if he's crushing that little girl's head, but when Vash looks over. He's purposely holding his hands up to show he didn't do anything, That would be scary to realize an enemy can make you see things that aren't really there.

This big villain tries acting do devilish, but panics after witnessing Vash snap. 

we also get a good look at Vash's prosthetic gun arm, though it was hinted at a while back.
Post by Count_Zero (344 posts) See mini bio Level 20
It bears noting that the studio that did Trigun - Madhouse - also did the Spawn animated series on HBO.
Post by AnimeAlex (29 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@FoxxFireArt: I don't remember them hinting at his fake arm at all.
@AnimeAlex: 
It was in Wolfwood's first episode (Ep. 9 Murder Machine). Vash was seen to of shot up some of those robots off screen while Wolfwood had Vash's gun. It comes back to Vash and you see some steam coming off his left arm.
Post by berwin9 (3 posts) See mini bio Level 5
@Count_Zero said:
" It bears noting that the studio that did Trigun - Madhouse - also did the Spawn animated series on HBO. "
This. Gotta love madhouse's style of animation.
Post by rubberluffy (577 posts) See mini bio Level 16
The whole fight with Monev is a lot different than it is in the manga.  Which is a shame because the manga has this awesome page:

Post by darfox8 (25 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I'm glade Tom enjoyed this one. This is definitely the turning point where the show gets darker,  and shoves a huge(and mostly really creative) rogue gallery down your throat.

They'll explain who Rem is and introduce the villains more thoroughly. Well... the large majority of the rogue gallery aren't given an origin, not in the anime at least, but there is a big bad who Vash was remembering in the cell.

I recommend Tom get's used to the "NAME the SOMETHING" formula for naming characters. All of the rogue gallery is named like Vash the Stampede and Monev the Gale.
Post by gla55jAw (109 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@FoxxFireArt said:
 This episode is one of my favorites, because it's our first real look into Vash's dark side. How they always say it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for. Vash witnesses this utter slaughter of innocents and he snaps. I loved the psychological aspect of the scene with Legato. and the little girl. It looks as if he's crushing that little girl's head, but when Vash looks over. He's purposely holding his hands up to show he didn't do anything, That would be scary to realize an enemy can make you see things that aren't really there.
I love that part too. It's definitely a "shit just got real" moment.

I wonder if Tom has as much hate for Legato as he did for Vicious?
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I knew you were going to compare this guy to a Spawn character. I thought the same thing when I saw this episode the first time. He has the bulked up steroid abuser look with a small head that was infamous in most Image comics. 
Oh man... I can't believe I didn't mention his disproportionate, obviously-juiced musculature.
Post by buhssuht (223 posts) See mini bio Level 19
My favorite part: when Monev starts to cry
Staff
@berwin9 said:
" @Count_Zero said:
" It bears noting that the studio that did Trigun - Madhouse - also did the Spawn animated series on HBO. "
This. Gotta love madhouse's style of animation. "
Well that makes about five kinds of sense.
Staff
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @AnimeAlex: 
It was in Wolfwood's first episode (Ep. 9 Murder Machine). Vash was seen to of shot up some of those robots off screen while Wolfwood had Vash's gun. It comes back to Vash and you see some steam coming off his left arm. "
The devil's in the details!
Post by rubberluffy (577 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
" @AnimeAlex: 
It was in Wolfwood's first episode (Ep. 9 Murder Machine). Vash was seen to of shot up some of those robots off screen while Wolfwood had Vash's gun. It comes back to Vash and you see some steam coming off his left arm. "
The devil's in the details! "

Some interesting info:  in the manga, the fight with Monev actually takes place BEFORE Wolfwood is introduced, taking place in chapter 15 and 16 (in volume 3) and Wolfwood's desert/bus introduction is in chapter 18.  Vash's arm/gun is actually shown in the pilot chapter, which was published a while before the manga started, and was put into the anime as episode 4.
@Tom_Pinchuk said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
" @AnimeAlex: 
The devil's in the details! "
Are you saying that I have an eye for details or an eye for the devil?
Post by Lurkero (404 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Trigun took just a little bit too long to introduce the main threat to Vash. Although the beginning episodes are still enjoyable, I wanted the main story to get started quicker.

And this is probly no spoiler, but the infamous episode 13 recap is another episode that goes by without getting closer to the main villain.
Post by KingSolomon (66 posts) See mini bio Level 7

This episode is great because is shows what great uses there are for vault doors. LoL. But seriously I consider vash's rogues gallery to be one of the best in any show... and manga as well.
Post by ninjadude853 (464 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I've said this at least twice before, but from the moment Legato grabs the girls head this episode forces me to the edge of my seat and doesn't let up into the end. It's one of the single most intense things I've ever seen on a screen.

This, episode five, and the last episode are the best.
Post by lionellaflare (21 posts) See mini bio Level 13
MY BRAIN!!!
I never saw the connection to Spawn before...

Now I see it everywhere >_<

Remember folks, long red cloaks of any kinda represent a heavy burden upon a person in one way or another..
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel