What do You Think about the Soul Eater Dub?

Topic started by gia on Oct. 9, 2009. Last post by Void_Wizard 5 years ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
FUNimation added a new video to its YouTube lineup-- the first clip from its Soul Eater dub. The series' stars are Soul Eater, played by the young up-and-comer Micah Solusod, who I interviewed at New York Anime Festival, and Maka is being played by FUNi regular Laura Bailey.

I think Micah sounds awesome-- his other main role is in the as-yet-unreleased Blassreiter, so other than the brief preview he shared in the interview, I hadn't heard him voice-act before. Laura Bailey sounds pretty good too, IMO. Any thoughts?
Post by king_m (393 posts) See mini bio Level 6
everytime I see soul eater I think of the anime soul taker which was pretty good
Post by Chrjz (3 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Terrible, when compared to the original. Just like every other dub out there.  Chiaki Omigawa  is one of my favourite voice actors, so this just sounds bad.
Post by Netstryke (71 posts) See mini bio Level 8
This WILL be  Micah's breakthrough voice role from what I heard. but I'm more interested in the other voice roles.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,644 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Doesn't sound too bad. I think Maka is lacking a tiny bit of the personality, but often times you find in dubs it takes a few episodes for the actor to really bring the personality out.

They do pretty well in sticking to the original lines and they keep the terminology. I'm interested in seeing how they handle Liz and Patty. As well as Blair. I would like to get this manga series, that is being released this month; but I'm waiting to see if they make any alterations to the art.
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff
not bad at all
Post by Desisashi (1,801 posts) See mini bio Level 8

ive seen a few episodes in japanese and im loving this english dub imagine its taken them such a long to make an english but better now then never
Post by mediaright (75 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I think the voices are fine, but who the heck did the adaptation??? The dialogue is really strained and awkward.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Sounds great. Could be up for one of the better dubs of the year
Post by Lance_McCloud (67 posts) See mini bio Level 6
The heck, i cant view a smegging trailer because I'm not in the US? This is ridiculous. Great way to promote your anime geniuses.  :(

@FoxxFireArt: Maka was lacking in personality in the japanese dub as well. Not saying her voice actor wasn't good, but there wasn't much personality in her voice.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
For the first few moments, I wasn't sold on Soul. It was at the time that he gave the " 'Course, I look much cooler" line that I bought it. As for Maka, couldn't ask for anything else.
Post by ComradeCrash (152 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I liked it! I can't wait!
Post by Zorn (131 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Sounds good to me, though i have not heard the Japanese voices so i cannot really compare if that makes any sense, but i like what i heard.
Post by MoonStorm (360 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I need to here more before I decide. Who playing Sid and Stine.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Lance_McCloud said:
" The heck, i cant view a smegging trailer because I'm not in the US? This is ridiculous. Great way to promote your anime geniuses.  :(

@FoxxFireArt: Maka was lacking in personality in the japanese dub as well. Not saying her voice actor wasn't good, but there wasn't much personality in her voice. "
She's kind of the vanilla character. At lease in comparison to how everyone else has a pretty large "quirk" that effects their behavior. 
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I actually enjoyed how flat Maka sounded most of the time in the Japanese dub. It'll take some getting used to if this person doesn't deliver in much the same way.
Post by Void_Wizard (735 posts) See mini bio Level 9
The dub sounds badass.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel