Weekly Sket Dance: Ep. 31 - Samurai and Clothes

Topic started by takashichea on Nov. 5, 2011. Last post by MohsinMan99 2 years, 10 months ago.
Post by takashichea (11,977 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Overview

Welcome to the ninth weekly Sket Dance article/ review! I'm your host, Takashichea, and my teammates for Team W.I.K.I. Nation are Annabanana, KuroNekoXIII, MohsinMan99, HalberdierV2, Piface314, and Hibaru. We have some trivia questions and wiki progress to reveal after this episode's review. For the recap, last week's episode, Crank up the Nyora!, was about an addiction to collecting toys and Momoka's Moe character change. Now, this episode (ep. 31 - Samurai and Clothes) focuses on Shinzo and the shenanigans of SKET Dan. Be sure to check our wiki work and the image gallery.

Plot

This episode has two stories. The first and major story is about Shinzo's pen pal who wants to meet him. Wanting to impress the pen pal, Shinzo asks SKET Dan to help him be a fashionable man. In the second story, Hime and the gang receive a DVD from Shinzo who is tired and decides to give away his pen pal's DVD. Hime tries out the DVD only to feel the burning and bizarre exercise routines.

Will Shinzo be able impress his pen pal and take his friendship to a higher level? What happens during the exercise DVD and what effects it has on the SKET Dan crew? Tune in and watch Sket Dance episode 31!

Verdict

Beware of Spoilers!

Good

Shinzo decorates his smart phone with pics of his pen pal
Shinzo decorates his smart phone with pics of his pen pal
  • Another story about Shinzo, the out of place samurai who doesn't look like a high school student. His story is pretty funny and how Sket Dance try to help him but fail is even more awesome. There are some great anime references in this episode.
  • The ending to Shinzo's story is a big and hilarious surprise.
  • For the second story, the exercise trainer has a unique thing shared by Switch that makes Hime goes "ew!" or "what the hell!"

Bad

• Comparing the two stories, the exercise show is pretty weak in the comedic element.

Bizarre

Andre tells you to think like a girl
Andre tells you to think like a girl
  • Possible Edit Mistake: Bossun shaved off Shinzo's hook eyebrow to make him fashionable. How did it regrow back after the big makeover?
  • Switch is getting stranger with his information gathering thing. Not only he has measurements of Hime and Momoka, but he keeps track of what Shinpei doing.
  • Andre, the exercise trainer, has the same obsession like Switch.
  • Anime References: There's three of them (or more): Bakuman, Dragon Ball Z, and Gintama. I won't describe them because I want you guys to watch the show or check out our image gallery. Feel free to add some more that I missed.

Overall

Compared to the last episode, this episode is roughly the same because both of these episodes had great and hilarious episodes about one character but suffers from the other story's small time humor. The minor story in episode 31 is better than the minor story in episode 30 because the humor flows better without dragging the time. If you are Momoka fan, you'll dig episode 30 more than 31. Same for Shinzo fans except it's for episode 31. As for the anime and manga differences, I have not read the manga chapter versions yet, but I can tell you the anime is skipping around the manga since volume 5. It's strange.

Sket Dance's Lesson

Be yourself when you date someone. There's no use in pretending to be someone just to get the person to love you back.

Trivia

• Shinzo Takemitsu - 1, 2, and 3. *The image caption malfunctioned for question 3 when I submitted it. The good news is that the numbering of the images are in from left to right order. I'm sorry about that.

Thanks

I thank you guys for reading this weekly article; I thank my team for doing an impressive job on the Sket Dance and other projects. KuroNekoXIII is doing great on his Guilty Crown while Anna is working on Beelzebub project with her teammates. As for this episode, it is my turn to work on it since last week is Anna's turn. I need to upload more images since I did not cover enough of the episode. When you love a show or a manga series, get involved in this community and write a blog or a review. You do some wiki work or even start up your own weekly reports. That sounds exciting.

This Week's Reports

Wiki Editing and Blogging is a cool hobby
Wiki Editing and Blogging is a cool hobby

Last Week's Reports

Team and Friends' Blogs

Takashichea

Team W.I.K.I. Nation and Beelzebub

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Good report as always. I'd would've liked it if you would have gone in somewhat detail with the anime references though but then again I suppose it's for the best.

Oh, and you missed the obvious Jason reference. Jason Voorhes.

@MohsinMan99:

I have to entice them into watching it. We can talk about in the comments. Plus, I have a trivia question for the anime references, so I can't give away answers. =D As for Jason, his reference was done in the first time he appears.

@takashichea: Then I must've missed that. When did he first appear?

@MohsinMan99:

He appeared in episode 15: Confounded Angels. That episode had two stories in it.

Another difference between Gintama and Sket Dance is that Gintama has one story for an episode while Sket Dance does two. I feel that Sket Dance is going to run out of chapters this way. I can't tell where they are now because they skip around the manga since volume 5.

@takashichea:I believe Gintama did have 2 stories for 1 episode during the old times. Not always, it was pretty much occasional.

@MohsinMan99:

I see. That's probably the beginning of the series that I haven't watch it yet. I need to do that since I'm deep in Gintama with no background information. It's good to have a Gintama expert on the team. :)

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@takashichea:

Amazing report Taka!

I agree, I liked the first story better than the second. I felt that the first story had more merit to it, both in humor and in lessons to be learned.

Possible Edit Mistake: Bossun shaved off Shinzo's hook eyebrow to make him fashionable. How did it regrow back after the big makeover?

LOL! I noticed that too! I was like "Wait a second.....weren't those eyebrows trimmed?" Who knows though, maybe they used Chuu-san's Tocolotion 10 to regrow his eyebrows back :P (that's just my imagination going wild here)

I really like your "Sket Dance Lesson" section. It is very engaging. I think that we should always take something from the anime we're watching and apply it to the real world. Sket Dance bring's forth lots of these lessons in its episodes, so I see potential that your list of Sket Dance lessons will get longer and longer.

Be yourself when you date someone. There's no use in pretending to be someone just to get the person to love you back.

Nicely said. In my opinion, there isn't much point in changing yourself to please others if it means you're turning into someone you're not.

As for the second part of the episode, there were two main highlights for me. First was the bad editing of the workout video.....badly edited videos always amuse me :D The second highlight was that old skinny dude in the DVD. The way he talked and kept messing up made me crack up.

Oh yea! I also liked Jason sensei's appearance. I was recently thinking about how he hasn't shown up for a while, and now he finally did. Too bad he didnt get much screen time though.

@KuroNekoXIII:

I just added J-Son today. I forgot about him, too. What kind of stories they do with J-Son? It would be like with Shinzo's romantic misadventures. Sket Dance is always helping someone in their quest for love. (most of the times) Jesus!

I was bashing on the second story since it did not appeal to me. I didn't notice it until you gave your highlights.

**I'm looking forward to the Guilty Crown trivia you added this week. :)

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@takashichea:

J-son is one of my favourite characters. His debut episode was one of my favourites as well!

I'm thinking of making a blog post on Sket Dan's ep 15 (if that's okay with you) sometime next weekend. It's when J-son was first introduced, as well as Dante.

Now that you mention it, Sket Dan really does help lots of characters with their love lives; like with Tetsu and that sick girl; J-son, Dante, etc. Then again, this series is targeted to teens and young adults who usually face these sort of problems.

**Thanks! :D

I'd wish Roman would get some more screentime with those crazy stories of her.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel