Sket Dance and Gintama Similarities and Differences

Topic started by takashichea on Aug. 24, 2011. Last post by takashichea 2 years, 3 months ago.
Post by takashichea (10,582 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Overview

Purpose: To get people to watch/ or read Sket Dance or Gintama, to reignite wiki passion in both series, and to get some ideas.

Hello guys. I'm Takashichea, a member of Team Wiki Nation and part of other teams on other franchises as well. Recently, due to a request by Piface314, Team Wiki Nation is created to tackle Sket Dance franchise with three partners, Anna, Piface314, and Hibaru. As I watched the show and did research on the web, I noticed Gintama pops out a lot. I learned that Kenta Shinohara was the assistant to Hideaki Sorachi, author of Gintama.

I haven't watch or read Gintama yet, and I have only watched Sket Dance up to episode 15.

Let's brainstorm!

Edit:

Thank Halberdierv2 for this image.

Similarities

Characters

Characters are the important thing in anime and manga. I put this in a separate section.

Sket DanceSimilaritiesGintama
Yusuke "Bossun" Fujisaki
Yusuke "Bossun" Fujisaki
  • Both are the leader.
  • Both use references to Bleach such as Bankai.
  • Both lost their parents.
  • Both tell people how to live life.
Gintoki Sakata
Gintoki Sakata
Hime Onizuka
Hime Onizuka
  • Both are strong, beautiful women physically as well.
  • Both love to beat their teammates.
  • Both are the only female member on the team.
Kagura
Kagura
Kazuyoshi "Switch" Usui
Kazuyoshi "Switch" Usui
  • Both wear glasses, black hair.
  • Both are handsome without their glasses.
  • Guessing that they are the brains of the team.
  • Both have 1 sibling.
Shinpachi Shimura
Shinpachi Shimura

Points of Interests

• Both Sket Dan and Gintama have a trio that helps people which are usually odd jobs.
  • Both franchises rely on parodies of other franchises such as Shounen series for their humor.
  • Both franchises break the 4th wall.

Differences

Characters

Characters are the important thing in anime and manga. I put this in a separate section.

Sket DanceDifferencesGintama
Yusuke "Bossun" Fujisaki
Yusuke "Bossun" Fujisaki
  • Bossun is younger than Gintoki.
  • Bossun relies on his slingshot whereas Gintoki relies on his bokuto (similar to a bokken).
  • Bossun has a concentration, artistic, and memorization abilities while Gintoki has excellent swordsmanship.
  • Gintoki is more laidback than Bossun.
Gintoki Sakata
Gintoki Sakata
Hime Onizuka
Hime Onizuka
  • Hime's weapon of choice is her field hockey stick while Kagura's weapon of choice is her parasol.
  • Relationships with the leader: Hime's relationship with Bossun is more of a close friends, and Hime tends to blush sometimes when Bossun compliments her cooking or other things. There is some chemistry between the two. Compared to Kagura, her relationship with Gintoki is said to be a father to daughter relationship.
  • Kagura is more vulgar than Hime because Kagura just picks her nose without any sense of shame.
Kagura
Kagura
Kazuyoshi "Switch" Usui
Kazuyoshi "Switch" Usui
  • Switch communicates by a laptop and speech synthesis software while Shinpachi speaks normally.
  • Switch's sibling is a brother while Shinpachi's sibling is a sister.
  • Switch is smarter than Shinpachi.
  • Shinpachi is the straight man.
Shinpachi Shimura
Shinpachi Shimura

Total: Bossun to Gintoki = 3, Hime to Kagura = 2, and Switch to Shinpachi = 1. I don't know much about Switch, and Shinpachi's wikia info is vague.

Points of Interests

• Sket Dance is set in a school setting while Gintama is set in a feudal period and futuristic style combo. (sorry guys, I couldn't describe Gintama's setting as well.)

Updates

I will list any changes and suggestions from comments below. I want to see the change and the additions of information.

Changes 9-18-11

Thank Mohsinman99 for his contributions.

• Gintoki is a laidback and a smart guy.
  • Shinpachi is a hard worker but not that bright. A straight man.
  • Kagura loves to pick fights, insult others, and eats a lot. She''s more vulgar than Hime.

Afterword

I will use these thoughts and comments to write for the similarities to other franchises. I used mostly wikia for Gintama to compare my experiences from watching Sket Dance anime. I have no trouble spoiling myself to Gintama during my quick research, but for Sket Dance, I don't read the wiki or other sources. See example below.

Similarities to other franchises

See Shaman King franchise for an example. I was proud of this work. It's amazing how Zatch bell and Law of Ueki is similar to Shaman King. I could not relate D. Gray Man or Blue Exorcist to Shaman King more than its use of supernatural and demon themes.

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,286 posts) See mini bio Level 17

well, there is supposed to be a crossover between the two in late September on both shows, plus Sket Dance's creator was once Gintama's Creator's assistant, and are good friends, so this mightve been expected.

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2011/09/gintama-x-sket-dance-crossover-get-anime/

@Halberdierv2:

Thanks Halberdierv2. I haven't read the manga version, but I'm so psyched for the anime versions. I'll make sure I write the best Weekly Sket Dance episode report around the week of Sept. 29.

Edits 9-19-11

Added crossover image.

Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Yes, I'm very excited about the crossover as well. Nice to see another (potentially) Gintama fan here.

If you want to read the Manga Crossover chapters, then :

@MohsinMan99:

In addition to the Sket Dance Weekly thing, I guess I'll do a Crossover Special blog for everyone on Gintama and Sket Dance on that week. I'll do my best for you guys despite I have no Gintama knowledge.

Gintama, is it episodic? I think it's safe to watch the episode without getting confused. Regardless, I will try out the anime first.

Another issue

The similarity and difference table looks so cool to add on the wiki page except I don't know if we allowed to do that. I have to figure out to combine the two tables into one.

Oh guys, is my information for Gintama characters in those tables correct?

@takashichea
Yes, Gintama is episodic and the first couple of episodes are just one large character introduction that makes little sense. I suggest watching from Episode 3 onwards since that is from where the story/stuff begins.

Comparison was apt however some things to note.
 Gintoki is a heavily laid back characters, a "take it easy" type of guy. Most of the times, he provides his opinion on life and gives a unique take on how life is which is usually funny, a good example being this video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa2rn1_gintama-strawberry-milk_fun  
Doesn't really fit in with Bossun who usually gets flustered in the face of a problem. Bossun is more like Shinpachi than Gintoki.

Kagura is a very tomboyish type of girl who apart from that violent character trait is very different from Onihime in so many ways.  Like she picks her nose, regularly insults people calling them names including Gintoki, an eater of Luffy's level who will eat pretty much any food if seen and in ONE gulp, purposely insults Shinpachi  and so many other things I think are best left unsaid.

Shinpachi being the brains of the team? Unfortunately, you are wrong. He's actually this guy of the team: 

In case you didn't get it from the video, Shimura is regularly treated as just the glasses (minus the human being) and almost always made fun of for being the serious man in a comedy anime like Gintama (yes, they do say that at his face and this happens in the anime). He's the straight man of the trio and he will scream hoarse at any jokes that are not funny/idiotic.
Actually, Gintoki is the brains of the team whereas Shinpachi is the hard-worker kind who makes everyone get up and do some work.

@MohsinMan99:

Thank you! I will look through these and edit the blog.

Post by Pacmanlh (6 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Very cool! I watch both animes but don't read the mangas. I bet there'll be conversations about whether it was handled better in the mangas or animes.

@takashichea:

"Bossun in younger than Gintama."

????

Correction needed,

@MohsinMan99 said:

@takashichea:

"Bossun in younger than Gintama."

????

Correction needed,

On Gintoki Sakata's page, they said that he is in his 20's. I remember Bossun is 17 due to the episodes such as when Bossun reverts back to his boy hood and the time Hime and Momoka reverts to little children. Hime, Bossun, and Switch should be the same age. (They said Hime was 17 at the time.)

Unless I'm wrong about Gintoki's age.

@takashichea: I meant you used the series name rather than the character's name. Gintama is the series, Gintoki is the character.

Gintama stands for 'Silver Soul'.

@MohsinMan99:

I see. Thanks.

Did they ever say about Shinpachi being handsome without his glasses? I don't think so. Only Switch is considered by others to be handsome.

Edit: Fix the blog.

@takashichea:

I dunno how you can interpret this as being handsome:

Shinpachi (stated in canon Gintama)
Shinpachi (stated in canon Gintama)

A little too crooked around the edges for me to consider that as being handsome. :D

@Pacmanlh said:

Very cool! I watch both animes but don't read the mangas. I bet there'll be conversations about whether it was handled better in the mangas or animes.

Yeah! I will posting Weekly threads for both Sket Dance and Gintama (only the crossover episode).

I haven't read the manga only after I watch the Sket Dance episode to fill in those anime/manga differences sections on the episode wiki page. My team is pretty busy, so I just post weekly threads to show the community how much passion we have those series.

1. Beelzebub - Last one was 34
  2. Sket Dance - 24 and 25 combo
  3. Blue Exorcist - 23

If any of these animes are your liking, please feel free to visit the weekly reports.

Thanks! Hope to see you.

@MohsinMan99:

I forgot to mention that both Switch and Shinpachi love playing Sim games.

Also, Gintama's episodes are bigger than Sket Dance. The usual Sket Dance episodes have two stories while Gintama's usual episodes cover a story in two episodes. Some will go beyond 2 like the Burning Spider Arc and the Invasion of Renho.

Like Sket Dance, Gintama does have serious episodes. However, Gintama's serious episodes are full of action, blood, and tragedy. I have only watched the Burning Spider Arc. Unlike Sket Dance, it's hard to classify Gintama in a specific genre. When I first watch Gintama (episode 226 is my first one), I thought it was a series focus on comedy. Gintama surprised me with its other episodes.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel