SAMURAI CHAMPLOO #16 -- Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Aug. 4, 2012. Last post by zaldar 1 year, 11 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Wait – so is this guy supposed to be the samurai who smells out of sunflowers? Did I read too much into that little gag where Fuu's pet squirrel hands her the sunflower seeds?

Actually, while we’re on the subject, I’ve really long since forgotten why they’re searching for this guy. I know he’s supposed to be like this show’s One-Armed Man, but they honestly haven’t harped on the reasons he needs to be found that much. Did he murder Fuu’s father or something? I forget.

If it is, indeed, a quest of revenge here, then nobody in this trio’s quite swelled with the sort of vengeful focus that you’d expect from anybody looking for some payback. For as proper and composed as Mattie Ross in TRUE GRIT was, you always got the sense that she had to score to settle.

Not that I’m especially upset about all the digressions that show’s taken, of course. They’re the real appeal of SAMURAI CHAMPLOO, anyway. It’s just funny that their whole “break up” scene at the beginning seemed to - - once again - - be of the order of a bunch of kids realizing that their idle plan for a Saturday night was too thinly conceived to even continue bothering with.

Anyway, I bet Mugen was hoping his little dalliance with the two girls would play out like that scene in the record store in CLOCKWORK ORANGE. Big faux pas on his part for going after that gag with the stick food too aggressively. Him seeming to get hornier as the series goes on is really one of the more perversely amusing character arcs of the series.

And while we’re talking about “perversely amusing” thing - - that gag with trio of strangers and their coffin jam boxes was a stitch. The sight (and sound) of Edo era B-boys never ceases to amuse me.

Watch this episode, "Lullabies of the Lost, Verse 1” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Lurkero (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Now you are starting to see how unimportant the overall plot is. I think the sunflower samurai killed Fuu's father, but what she hopes to achieve by meeting him is lost on me.

Post by jj_jackson (112 posts) See mini bio Level 6

UM no they don't really tell you why shes looking for the sun flower samurai she changes the subject most of the time(hint hint) but she will elaberate kind of on the reason at the end of this 2 part episode. They really focus on the story with the two part episodes so when ever there is a 2 parter you can expect something informational or maybe not informational about the sunflower samurai. as you can see the tension gets high because fuu is being so secretive about info on the sunflower samurai.

Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

@Lurkero said:

Now you are starting to see how unimportant the overall plot is. I think the sunflower samurai killed Fuu's father, but what she hopes to achieve by meeting him is lost on me.

At least this show realizes it (unlike BEBOP.)

@jj_jackson said:

UM no they don't really tell you why shes looking for the sun flower samurai she changes the subject most of the time(hint hint)

See... I knew I wasn't crazy!

Post by zaldar (1,235 posts) See mini bio Level 15

yup there is no overall plot the man reason the show didn't work for me (and I can't stand the whole rap parts myself anachronism never worked for me).

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel