What I intend to do.

Topic started by SamJaz on Oct. 1, 2013. Last post by SamJaz 1 year ago.
Post by SamJaz (12,917 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Over the past nine months or so, I've been working on how to bring the RPG section back to its former glory, and last night, Sonata raised an amazing point.

Sonata said:

I don't think there is a clear cut solution to the problem. The main thing I've noticed that around here is that character connection has faded out and focusing on powers and abilities have taken over. Meaningful storytelling just seems lost to me just feels empty around here.

So, this is the problem. Too many individuals, not enough connections. The only exception to this rule that I can think of is Hellscraper at this moment in time, and that is approaching its final arc.

After that finished, what then?

Well, I'll be starting three different storylines. Not threads, Lines. Lines that will cover multiple threads and will criss-cross characters between them.

1) The Grand Unification

2) You Know My Name

3) (Title Pending)

These are not intended to divide the RPG universe. These lines will stop, start, and intersect freely, creating a cohesive, interactive universe that I really hope everyone will contribute with their own story threads, character interactions, and universe dynamics.

I kinda want another Newdeath. I kinda want continents to shift. But that is not going to happen with a new godmodding character that has mountains fall to their command. This will happen over time, through alliances and betrayals, love and loss. I intend to kill off some of my characters, and I want other people to do the same.

Just like in any show, there needs to be a possibility of lost. Especially in shows like Attack on the Titan, Under the Dome, etc, things are not going to stay the same forever. But when characters die, they will be remembered. They will be mourned. Others will move on and carry out their wills. And you will create new characters and continue creating new, dynamic stories.

That is what I hope, at least. That's what I intend to do.

What do you intend to do?

Post by Fehafare (9,512 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I see what you're getting at, that's why i liked UO7, felt like everything was better connected.

Well, i already got an idea or two as far as killing off characters goes. Depending on the shifts and turns i'll end up with either 3 or 4 characters. I might make a new villain to make up for the loss tho.

So really 5 at maximum or 3 at a minimum.

Post by ChronoWolf (2,252 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@SamJaz: I intend to compliment you on writing this long speech. Then I intend to think about killing off someone. Then i intend to remember that I've only got two characters. Then I intend to say to my self that it's actually four but only two are in use, one was used for three post in a single RP and never heard of ever again, and one is frozen in time, located in Congo. Then I intend to say that I suck at making characters anyway, so killing any would just result in me making more bad characters. Then I intent to go into a corner and cry.

So here I go:

Nice job writing all of that. I might kill some of my characters off too. It's just that I only have two characters. Well, four actually, but two of them have not been heard from in a long time. Besides, I can't make characters to save my life, so that would only result in me making more lousy characters. *moves into a corner and cries*

Hmm... That sounded a lot less stupid in my head.

@ChronoWolf: @Fehafare:

No worries bros. I'm not asking for a cull or anything, just for people to be prepared for when good storytelling demands losses.

S, who's up for some awesome storytelling?

@SamJaz: I didn't actually intend it that, way, death for my characters will come during their story sooner or later.

But i'm still killing off a few of them because there are too many. I want to focus them a bit.

@Fehafare: I'll be demporting half of mine to NPC's, death will come when appropriate.

Not that I'm going to kill off death. That would be silly.

@SamJaz: Nice.

I on the other hand have made the painful decision... i will kill all but: Phantom, Richter and Charlotte.

I might no kill the rest, but just forget about them for now, but either way they will not be used for a long time.

Post by ChronoWolf (2,252 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@SamJaz: Actually it wouldn't be silly.

@Fehafare: Even Claire?

@ChronoWolf: You should read Reaper Man, by Terry Pratchett.

@SamJaz: Clare is Phantom's NPC, of course she won't be killed off.

@Fehafare: Phew.

Dan,g, see, this is hard. Drama Vs characters.

@SamJaz: Yeah, but i'm done with it mentally.

Three characters nothing more. Phantom of Modern Fantasy, Richter of Medieval Fantasy and Charlotte of Cyberpunk.

@Fehafare: Cool. So, Hellscraping?

@SamJaz: Sure, let's get it rolling.

Also i'll need either 5th or 6th floor and some time on either of them.

@Fehafare: You can have 5th, so long as there's no alternate kelly.

@SamJaz: Nah, don't worry about that.

Also who's on floor 4 so i can one shot and proceed to floor 5?

@Fehafare: Female ninja, rival of Sanjashi. Feel free to kill him off in the process.

@SamJaz: Great, i'll get right to it.

Post by Kuro_San (1,339 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@SamJaz: Been there, tried that. You need dedicated players, I worked on the Inazuma city storyline for two months only to play it half month when all mysteriously vanished from the forums.

And the Mangetsu Storyline I started in the second reboot also was left aside or rejected and I had done 3 chained RP

@Kuro_San: Kinda feared that something like that would happen.

But on the other hand, right now our numbers are really low so at least we'd be better organized with this.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel