What happened?

Topic started by Lady_Liberty on Dec. 31, 2012. Last post by Mesamia 11 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Lady_Liberty (15 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Hello everyone :-)

Most of you probably have no idea who I am, or why I am bothering you. So I thought I'd start off by answering those questions.

Who the heck are you?

I'm Lady Liberty from Comic Vine. I started off there as a dedicated battle forum goer, but in time I was drawn into the RPG side of things. It was active, there were big storylines going on, people were friendly and I was a little burned out on battling. One thing lead to another and I become a RPGer full time. I play Lady Liberty, Kratesis, Amaranth, and Asteria on Comic Vine.

But why am I here to post this thread?

Well therein lies a story.

A while back the Vine started to wither. Activity was slipping. People were leaving, old vets and newbies alike. Before long.. it was kinda dead. The majority of the veterans left for another site. Most of the activity was on a few OOC threads. There was a lot of dissatisfaction and disappointment. Most of all there was a lot of fear, because we all realized that could be the beginning of the end for the Vine RPG section.

In time things came to a head. I posted a blog, naming a lot of the issues. There was a massive storm of drama. Eventually a few of us got together and decided to make a new universe, a universe with rules that would solve those problems. The massive storm of drama became a titanic hurricane of hate.

But we persevered and today the Vine RPG section is health and moving along well. Its not as active as it once once, but the slow slide into oblivion has been reversed.

And that brings me to why I am here. I can see there have been attempts to save the Vice RPG section, but its still very slow. Thus my question for those of you that remain.

What happened?

Why did Vice RPG fade so much? In your own words, from your own personal perspective. What brought it down to its current level of activity?

Was there any single event that marked the turning point? One crucial factor, or a group of them? Was it inevitable, or was could it have been avoided? When did activity begin to slide?

Thank you,

~Lady Liberty

Post by Sonata (35,008 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
@Lady_Liberty: I have seen you on Comic Vine a few times welcome to the Vice. Anyway the main reason for the inactivity is basically there wasn't that many of us here. It may pick up again after the holidays time will tell.

@Sonata: Heya, what's your Vine account?

And thanks for the reply :-)

Post by Sonata (35,008 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
@Lady_Liberty: Its Sonata on Comic Vine as well:) I used to be on there all the time now I just kinda lurk.

@Sonata: Ah hah ;-)

Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,326 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

@Lady_Liberty: Our numbers slowly got smaller and smaller last year, until there was nobody to play with in some points. I had exams so I had to leave and now as other people is back I decided to get back. (I'm Kuma_far in Comicvine, yet everytime I tried to enter Vine RPG I had some other matter more urgent or just found the continuity to convoluted to follow it, or the community to close knitted or otherwise occupied)

Other factor where that even we made a reboot to fight against the characters too strong to play fairly against others without destroying half the world, even so the reboot ended up being a mixed success with some players that understood it, while others just vanished and a third group that blatanly ignored it's purpose and still made overpowered characters to trample over the rest.

A lot of mayor threads were abandoned by either the creator or the participants, killing the little momentum that got us to make the thread. We even made a timeskip to once again clear the air after a failed uber-crossover thread, yet it was short lived as our players drifted away (Me included, exams season) The main problem is that some of the best, as Mekix, Superevil and Willyvereb left for some reason or the other. While a lot of good players remained, most of our timetables and personal affairs got in the way of posting. And as we werent a lot of us to begin with in comparison with the Vine, losing some periodicaly while not getting new meat delivered we started having troubles to keep up with the threads.

Other issue is that some players scared off the new ones by either having OP characters or being just plainly good and writting making others feel diminished, I felt that the moment I started playing, yet I pulled through with my self-steem mostly intact.... (My brother didnt) and as well the classical problems of players that excel at going around the rules, like no selling and godmodding stealthly.

@Kuma_From_Argentina: Thank you! That's the kind of incite I need :-)

Online Now

@Lady_Liberty: Still this is only my own insight on the matter, and as there isnt an objetive spectator in the RPG forum, as all of us are involved in different ways and with different character, my own opinions may vary or even be contrary to other people, as I only have my own Point of View about the matters here, and I admit is kinda flawed, as I'm not the most forgiving or pacient guy in the world and I get somewhat annoyed from time to time, if not flatout angry by certain things more than others thus my judgment my be clouded by my own experiencies in the forums, that even if they are mostly positive my family could easily tell you the ammount of outbursts I had from things that happened here that in retrospective arent a big deal...

So you should ask more people...

@Kuma_From_Argentina: Yeah I've asked a few people on Comic Vine as well, and hopefully a few more people will respond to this thread.

Post by Lobos_Del_Rayo (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Lady_Liberty: Hola. Hello Liberty I'm Lobos my account on the vine is the same on here (Lobos_Del_Rayo) I been reading stuff on the the Vine thinking that one day I will join but I just dont have the time at the moment. I did read your thread about your hatred of the empires that were created and this resulted in the CVnU which from what I been reading over there is actually pretty succesful. ironically all those who said they didn't want a part of it ended up being a part of it anyway.

What Kuma said above is the stone cold truth, I have longed to see the same activity the Vine has for the Vice RPG forums. I gone along with the reboots the time skips etc but in the end it always loses steam. I created some awesome RPs. Crow Must Die and Runaway being the best but unfortunately they ran out of steam as as well.

In my opinion the problem lies with the writers unlike on the Vine it was the empires, I feel people don't post or take forever to post because they don't know what to do with their character or don't want to do certain things. Yes I understand people have lives out side of this but when you start something then some one stops posting who is critical to stories then all momentum is ruined. I would love to see the Vice rise like a phoenix from the ashes but I don't know what it will take. A reboot and time skip didn't work

Online Now

@Lobos_Del_Rayo: Activity just re-started I was just getting back in the loop with Gen, I hope it lasts...

Post by SamJaz (8,638 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Online Now
hey, I'm not going anywhere for a while. New semester starts soon in America, right? I reckon we'll have some returning faces/new ones by Feburary.

On the other hand, we may need to bring RL friends onto this to get things going. Dunno how many people are up for that though.
Online Now

@SamJaz: I would bring my RP players, but none of them can write in english

Online Now
@Kuma_From_Argentina: fair enough, that would be problematic

@Lobos_Del_Rayo: The empires themselves were not all bad, it was how they were used that was bad.

Thank you for your reply, and it does look like people slow rate of replies dampens the energy here. That's a good point.

Online Now

@Lady_Liberty: Empires? That smells like Newdeath

@Kuma_From_Argentina: Actually it was people grabbing land.. and falling into inactivity. That way a big chunk of the world was tied up, and no one could really do much there without godmodding. Really dragged the world down, trapped it in a static state. We were all getting bored.

Online Now

@Lady_Liberty: That totally sounds like Newdeath.

In the timeskip here one of my characters had grabbed land (all Japan and Korea) yet i think that was one of the times I was more involved in the forum, having 4 or 5 plotlines I followed with fervor. Then our numbers got reduced again and I had exams

Online Now
@Kuma_From_Argentina: So, we need to prevent landgrabbing then. NPC third parties then?
Online Now

@SamJaz: It depends, I can keep Japan as I did before the Timeskip, not directly, but indirectly with a crime sindicate

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel