Will Skal be Robotic;Notes's new Product Placement?

Topic started by takashichea on Nov. 17, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 8 months ago.
Post by takashichea (12,288 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

This is what my teammate, Acura Max, talked about since Steins;Gate had a big Dr. Pepper endorsement.

ZombiePie's Dr. Pepper Talk

ZombiePie of Giant Bomb published a blog about the crazy phenomenon that Steins;Gate had caused.

Dr. Pepper is a weird soft drink. Legally it isn't a "cola," and instead is apart of the "pepper" category of soft drinks due to its hard to explain and unique taste. Dr. Pepper like Miracle Whip prides itself on its uniqueness in its marketing and branding. However that unique flavor has come at a cost for its distributors (usually Coca Cola) where it just doesn't sell all that well overseas. In Asian market in particular Dr. Pepper isn't that popular meaning that it is a rare beverage to come by in Southeast Asia and only reasonably available in South Korea and Japan. That said it still struggles amidst a great amount of competition in Japan.

So in comes Steins;Gate with a very visible beverage called "DK Pepper!" Oddly enough DK Pepper is NOT a form of product placement. The name "DK Pepper" was purposefully titled that to avoiding copyright infringement suits. Despite this fans of the Steins;Gate games and now the anime are buying the beverage as seen on the Amazon.jp recommend products tab with the connect between the two rather clear:

See his blog for more info.

Please enjoy the Steins;Gate screenshots with Dr. Pepper.

What is Skal?

From the description, it's a type of milk soft drink. I never heard of carbonated milk if that's the correct term.

See link to Engrish.com. I thank Acura Max for finding it.

I wonder why Robotic;Notes went all healthy while Steins;Gate is inflicting damage to people's teeth with Dr. Pepper.

In my personal experience, I never tried Dr. Pepper or Skal. I probably won't have a chance to try Skal in the states since it's a Japanese beverage unless I find a local store that sells it.

Online Now

There's a mango version of Skal.

See LA Weekly Blog.

Post by Acura_Max (2,335 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I bet the creators of Steins;Gate saw how successful the Dr. Pepper was after the Steins;Gates' product placement and wanted to promote a Japanese drink instead of an American one.

As for why Robotics;Notes went healthy, I'm going to say that it's because Japan is healthier than the U.S.

Online Now

@Acura_Max:

Wow, putting fines on a company if they have overweight employees. Now, that's a harsh yet efficient way to fight obesity. America needs to step up. I'm pretty much underweight due to the college stress. I eat less when I'm stressed out. Mom and dad tell me not to be cheap and buy a bigger lunch.

I need to visit Little Tokyo to try some Japanese beverages and try Dr. Pepper. I'm more of sprite guy.

@takashichea said:

I need to visit Little Tokyo to try some Japanese beverages and try Dr. Pepper. I'm more of sprite guy.

Good choice, sir. Dr. Pepper is after all the choice drink for intellectuals and the chosen ones (more Steins;Gate references!)

It's really nice that they worked in a joke to go with the product placement.

Edit: According this website, Skal is supposed to taste like a creamy Sprite; so you might like it.

Here are some more Skal pictures:

Skal Lemon flavor

Skal Water (Water flavored)

I've noticed something while watching this series. Whenever the characters are sad, there is a great chance that they will be offered a bottle of skal. So I guess they're trying to say that Skal fixes everything.

Online Now

@Acura_Max:

Ah! It's a pick me up drink. You should add it to the Skal page. Oh yeah, I tried Dr. Pepper. It's not bad, but I'm so used to Pepsi and Coca Cola's flavor.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel