Site Updates: Introducing the Quest System

Topic started by snide on April 21, 2010. Last post by LHWKnight 3 weeks, 1 day ago.
Post by snide (7 posts) See mini bio Level 9
Staff

This team sure does get around.
 This team sure does get around.
Hello Anime Vice. The fine folks here at Whiskey Media have thrown together a new feature for you to play around with. Cue drum roll... The Quest System. 

Quests are essentially an achievement system for the site with an XP / Leveling component. A lot of them are based on actions you've come to enjoy such as starting your blog or posting on the boards, but a good portion of them are based on more goofy scavenger hunt tasks like finding a bunch of famous anime  characters on the site. Pretty meta huh? Hopefully it should be fairly familiar to anyone who plays games but it's  also crazy weird because hell -- this is a freaking web site.

As you'd imagine we've adjusted some of the UI on the site to show off the new chrome. You'll notice there is now an XP bar across the bottom of the page and that we've moved a lot of your profile stuff down there as well. Crusty curmudgeons out there should note that if you think all this is a  little ridiculous and hey -- "you just come here for the news" -- you're free to hide the XP bar and avoid quests altogether. Remember, this is Whiskey Media and we take pride in "not pissing off the Internet since 2007."

1. Quests are not retroactive. You'll need to initiate a new action to earn them, but in most cases it will tally up your previous work if you had any. So if you edit and save a previous list for example, you should earn that quest without having to create a new one. Wiki edits are the exception.
  2. The notifications for Javascript actions (like writing a comment) will only happen after you view a new page. We're working on better instant gratification, but for now know that some quests might lag behind a page-view or two.
  3. This is supposed to be fun! Please don't post spoilers on the forums. You're welcome to give people vague hints, but we'd like to try to not spoil things for everyone.

Now that you know the basics it's time for this tutorial to end! A good place to start is the Akira page. We'll be adding new quests weekly into the system and expect a lot more different types of quests to be introduced shortly. We'll also be adding a passive XP system to things like forum posts, comments, wiki edits and the like but for right now we just wanted to take it easy and see how everything goes before concentrating too much on point values. As a lot of you know already, we didn't do such a great job with points the first time around with the wiki system, so we're gonna take our time trying to figure out the best way to take it on. We will retroactively award XP based on wiki submissions though once we make that switch so you old timers don't worry about losing your place on the leader boards.

Oh. One last thing. If you're wondering where all the goofy artwork came from, look no further than Giant Bomb's (AV's sister site) own Kat Smith (Turbo_Toaster) who's been having to make some regular silly out of the team's stupid clues and pun-based titles since way back in October.         
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by metalsnakezero (666 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Thank you Whiskey Media for making me waste more time on the Internet. 
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Looks like a fun feature. 

ND
Post by megaplushie (26 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Win.
Post by willyvereb (5,914 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Interesting. I hope they'll include showing our levels too on the forums like on ComicVine.:)
Anyways I think one of the quests is wrong:
  SOS Brigade Member: To join the club, Haruhi demands that you help Enliven the World. What are the three things she wants to find most?...

The problem is that we only have two things to find. Also the description is very cloudy...Do we need to find the concepts themselves or the persons associated with it?
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@willyvereb:  Concept

Anyone know the five main animes that got people into them ? i have 4 /5 send me a pm pls :p
Post by Wraith (131 posts) See mini bio Level 17
I hope i don't see too much forum spam
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I need like Quests for Dummies or 101....I understand the idea, but I'm still fiddling and trying to work with the mechanics. 
Do you have to accept a quest first and then go on it? Or does going to a certain page prompt a quest? Overall, a fun feature.
Post by FLStyle (423 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@Wraith said:
" I hope i don't see too much forum spam "
It'll last a few days while people get the concept that people might have already thought of the same compliment/complaint/hint out of their heads.

Good stuff, now Tested just needs its Wiki and Quests up and all four will be up to date before site 5 is launched.
Post by DocHaus (927 posts) See mini bio Level 18
You brought the quest system to AV? You fools! Your thirst for quantitative achievements has ruined us all!
Post by Whiskeyjack (111 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Oh dear. Between Giant Bomb's quests and now these I'm going to get even less work done.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@Lan:  You don't have to accept anything. You just browse around, search, and maybe write things up. You'll then get automatically credited for tasks.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,638 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I do have to say that th quests are harder here then on Comic Vine.
Post by Eelcire (74 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Great fun at GiantBomb, glad to see it adopted here as well! And as such a hint topic will be needed; I suggest here:
http://www.animevice.com/forums/general-discussion/1/quests-are-live-gogogogo/314319/
 (unless John Martone would prefer it's own topic)
Post by Agent_Lost (1,124 posts) See mini bio Level 10
And there go all my free time.
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I'm glad to see the Quest System finally over here.       :)
Post by Destinyheroknight (10,173 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I like it 
Post by Sonata (35,184 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Best.Idea.Ever.!XD
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Man The Master's Movies is a hard one seeing as there has been quite a bit more than two of his works adapted into a live action film (personally I can think of four although I think it may be three and I'm mistaken on the fourth one) and one of the series isn't even in the database. I managed to find them though.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel