Opinion based quests?

Topic started by Chengy on April 21, 2010. Last post by Konanda 4 years, 3 months ago.
Post by Chengy (1,711 posts) See mini bio Level 17
Hmm some of these quests seem to be very opinionated, i was doing the "moe" one and one of the answers i got was not i would consider to be a moe show as theirs way more moe anime than it, then others which are pretty much complete moe shows are not the answers, ugh this is gonna be a major pain in the ass lol.
Post by metalsnakezero (666 posts) See mini bio Level 16
It sure is. Lot of my answers ended up not being the one for some of the quest.
Yeah, the main one which surprised me was that Lucky Star wasnt an answer for the moe shows O_o
Yeah, that kinda weird and it makes me a little angry at what they put there instead.
Post by willyvereb (5,914 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Chengy: See SaiMoe tournament to know why.:)
Lucky Star's popularity is dropping rapidly.
@willyvereb:  True but the show is more than moe.
@metalsnakezero: Right. Somehow I should put Lucky Star more likely into the moe shows than C....d.
Oh well...
@willyvereb:  you see thats the one i was talking about :p, i would of put that one under the romance quest.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Yeah, this is kinda taking us by storm too. I'm trying to see what we can do to rename/reclue some of them to be a bit more, well, direct.
@John_Martone: For example It's still a mystery for me what we need to find on the closet romantic quest...
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@John_Martone: Yeah the romance answers weren't exactly what I would first think of as "pure romance." And like everyone else, my first thought on moe was Lucky Star. And the gateway animes can be subjective too depending on your generation. I'd say 3/5 I was definitely familiar with and were part of my "gateway experience." So yeah, more specific clues would be helpful.
Post by Whiskeyjack (111 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I found the romance set to be difficult due to being less familiar with titles in that overall genre. But the Gateway set was frustrating as heck. I don't disagree with any of the items that are on there. But there were some strong staples that I felt would have been better options. It's like those terrible multiple choice questions where there are multiple correct answers, but one is more correct. But really, if it was anime series and it made it onto mainstream American television it probably has good justification for being a gateway anime for some.

And I have to echo the sentiment found here and in other quest threads - While I love the quests that are sets of related items, more individual clues would be great. Eventually the community itself is producing good and fair clues (sometimes they certainly could be more vague, but it's difficult) but it would be nice if that legwork wasn't as necessary.
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17
 Well I think some of it might just have to do with what the person(s) who ended up coming up with what the quest should be have their own background, which means they probably share some of what the majority of people are going to think of but a few that are more of what they encountered. I know for instance on GiantBomb a bunch of quests on there rely on the user knowing some references, inside jokes and games that the staff their have a special place for. (some of the Globe Trotter quests and Leftovers come to mind) 

Personally I like them to be somewhat challenging though and if I just end up solving everything I'm a little bummed.

@Lan:

Hmm ya I could see the Covering the Basics quest be difficult from those who didn't get into anime in the 90s or know about what was popular than. Since with the exception of the 4th answer those were all really popular in North America at least in the 90s. That said I thought of the 4th one just from having heard it referenced so many times in pop culture (from people in various enthusiast media to other animated shows [one example I can think of being Family Guy]) because so many people that grew up in the 80s and mid 70s and watched reruns of it on MTV. 

Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@willyvereb: @Lan: @Whiskeyjack: 
From what I've found, apparently some of that is the limitation of the quest system itself, since you are apparently only allowed one clue per quest, so a multi-answer/diverse question like that can't have 1 clue that helps them all.

God help you all, I think I'll be helping write the next batch of quests, so I think the solution would be to take quests like the romantics and basics, and turn them into a Full set, with low point quest-chains. They'll still have some subjective aspects, but they'll also have clues, which could help actually perceive an answer.

@Konanda said:

@Lan:
Hmm ya I could see the Covering the Basics quest be difficult from those who didn't get into anime in the 90s or know about what was popular than.
Yeah, an 80's+ fan presumably was cognizant of such things, but I could make a similar argument that shows like Naruto were vital to fans who started in like, the mid 2000's. Maybe even inuyasha. Anyone with a late night habit, and Cartoon Network has probably seen 50+ episodes of that series accidentally.
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@John_Martone said:
" @willyvereb: @Lan: @Whiskeyjack: 
From what I've found, apparently some of that is the limitation of the quest system itself, since you are apparently only allowed one clue per quest, so a multi-answer/diverse question like that can't have 1 clue that helps them all.

God help you all, I think I'll be helping write the next batch of quests, so I think the solution would be to take quests like the romantics and basics, and turn them into a Full set, with low point quest-chains. They'll still have some subjective aspects, but they'll also have clues, which could help actually perceive an answer.

@Konanda said:

@Lan:
Hmm ya I could see the Covering the Basics quest be difficult from those who didn't get into anime in the 90s or know about what was popular than.
Yeah, an 80's+ fan presumably was cognizant of such things, but I could make a similar argument that shows like Naruto were vital to fans who started in like, the mid 2000's. Maybe even inuyasha. Anyone with a late night habit, and Cartoon Network has probably seen 50+ episodes of that series accidentally. "

To the first point I know that in some of the GiantBomb quest they would include multiple hints coupled into one hint. I've also seen this in the God of Manga quest set. (I forget which quest from that set exactly) Personally I don't think adding multiple hints for each peice of the quest (for the scavenger ones that require finding more than one page) would be the right way to go since part of the cool thing about them is just seeing how far I can get on my own before seeing if the community has had trouble on the quest and what they may have discovered that I didn't so than we can help each other by trading hints. 

Fair enough, but how far back or forward do you determine when the cut off is. Although I would agree that maybe it would be a good idea for a quest in the future to incorporate something like that. Like for instance could do "Ninjas, Pirates and Hollows! Oh My" although that one sounds way too easy.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel