MADOKA MAGICA #2 - - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Nov. 6, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 9 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Yeah, we can never be too late to the party with an anime, and editing Nick’s features about this show has piqued my interest to a snapping point, so… here we are. I’ll be watching and learning from the remaining eleven episodes of MADOKA MAGICA. It feels fitting to follow-up CASSHERN SINS, a deconstruction of Sentai, with this deconstruction of Magical Girl (though I suspect this won’t be anywhere near as existential and depressing. Oh no.)

Of course, I’m much more familiar with the expectations of Sentai than I am with Magical Girl, so I can’t shake a nagging feeling that there’s a layer of this show that I’m totally missing as I watch. It’s been a couple months since I watched the pilot, but I do remember it hitting the ground running with tension and danger - - and this seems like the cool down after the sprint out of the gate. A big chunk of this episode’s devoted to some tea-time exposition about magical girls, soul gems, witches, curses and their respective places in this mythos…

(Granted, this show has the uncommon distinction of having some really novel and appealing set design, so at least that lengthy tea time dialog happens on a very unique glass table)

…and, to be totally honest, I’m shrugging about it. It seemS like mumbo jumbo, right now. So far, the show’s sharpest selling point seems to be the collage-style animation that’s being used for all the encounters with the witches in their lairs. It reminds a lot of the sort of stylistic stuff in the COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO anime, so +5XP for that.

Past that, I can see how we might be setting up the visual language of magic in this world. Mami’s whole trick with summoning an infinite supply of single-shot rifles seems like super move schtick, at first; but if this is a world where the Magical Girls’ creativity fuels their “combat magic,” then it could be something clever. I’m willing to give this some benefit of the doubt over its mumbo jumbo adding up.

All that hype can't be over nothing, right?

Watch this episode, "That Would Be Truly Wonderful" here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Lurkero (404 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I enjoyed watching Madoka Magica, but I did skim some of the melodramatic parts to avoid having the show feel slow to me.

though I suspect this won’t be anywhere near as existential and depressing. Oh no.

hmm...

Post by Turambar (233 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Lurkero said:

I enjoyed watching Madoka Magica, but I did skim some of the melodramatic parts to avoid having the show feel slow to me.

though I suspect this won’t be anywhere near as existential and depressing. Oh no.

hmm...

The best part of Madoka is always reading gut reactions to that part from first time watchers.
Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I can't remember much of the second episode at all, but I really like info dump episodes. I feel like I'm in the minority but they're always really interesting.
@No_name_here said:
(though I suspect this won’t be anywhere near as existential and depressing. Oh no.)
Hmm...
Post by metalsnakezero (670 posts) See mini bio Level 16

@Lurkero said:

hmm...

Yep, he's in the right mind set.

Post by zaldar (1,247 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Tropes of modern girl genre. Everything is usually love and light especially in he magical girls themselves, never really any much danger certainly never any real danger of death in the magical girls. Art styles are also usually very Saturday morning cartoonish the witch fights are as you have seen a very different style. Being a magical girl is an honor and something every girl would love to do, grants you special abilities no real cost. Animal helpers are innocent and cute and cuddly all most as innocent as the main character usually. Honestly most are reminiscent of rainbow bright though not as saccharine as that but in the same ballpark.

Post by Kino88 (196 posts) See mini bio Level 6

oh just you wait till episode 3, that,s the one that had me sold

Post by takashichea (11,673 posts) See mini bio Level 25

The episode was a bit slow.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel