PSYCHO-PASS #9 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Jan. 9, 2013. Last post by Marshal Victory 1 year, 6 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Now, this is what I’d like to see more of.

While I still think the series could benefit from a more brazen, over-the-top, DEMOLITION MAN-like approach to its action satire, I’m endlessly fascinated by all the angles on behaviorism that are being explored here. As such, the scene where Kogami brings Tsunemori along for a quick lesson on profiling with his old mentor was the real centerpiece for me.

See, to strum once more on the notions suggested by this show’s vision of social-networking in the future, I think progress in any field inevitably brings regularity and systematization In plainer terms, where once you might have occasionally showed a family photo album to guests when they’d be over for a visit, Facebook and such have now allowed you to show pics from every vacation to everybody you know at once. Here, it's the criminal profiler who's becoming obsolete because everything he’d once observed, as partial and flawed human being, is now calculated and evaluated by this Psycho-Pass thing.

There’s always the idea, of course, of an elusive “X-Factor” that human intuition can sense, but no advanced machine can ever quantify; and that makes the guy’s party favor about on Tsunemori particularly amusing. Utopias don’t like unpredictable X-Factors, of course, and we see that here with even the dangerous ideas put forth in this guy's classroom being boxed as potentially harmful sensations. Or perhaps, as sensations that only a certain percentage of people can handle. That’s a scary idea that’s unfortunately been bandied about lately during discussions of whether some people can’t properly digest violent media.

OK OK OK… enough psycho babble.

As you can tell, this show gets me thinking, and I like it for that. Yeah, on a basic level, it was fun to see a character moment like Tsunemori finally showing some backbone during the browbeating session at the end. However, I find it more interesting that she only shows that confidence because - - just as everybody fears - - an anti-social idea has been planted in her head via her meeting with the profiler.

Chew on that on, now.

Watch this episode, "The Fruit of Paradise” here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Aleasha (1,430 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I knew you would find it more interesting from episode 8 the action gets amped up a bit and they delve deeper into criminal psychology and profiling a personal love of mine just about all of the rest of the episodes left me looking forward to the next.

Post by Kino88 (191 posts) See mini bio Level 6

alright now I am interested again,

Post by Marshal Victory (1,930 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Wait you did phyco babble on Pycho Pass....oh ye of little faith! Thought we just got sucked by a good styled anime csi knock off .An now ya got stuff to mull over .This animes not just a pretty face but dare i say has the quirkly likeable character that you like but wouldnt want to bring home to mother.

Is it all that an a bag of chips.. no.But it does have fries with that shake.Intelectualy speeking of course.An .. wait for it... it gets better! It even shocked a jaded anime watcher like my self even.Very few shows pull off cliff hanger moments that i dont see how they will end.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel