PSYCHO-PASS #2 - - Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Dec. 11, 2012. Last post by zaldar 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Well, given all the enthusiasm I’ve expressed in my first write-up and the last Vice Pit, I’d really hate to eat my words about this show. Nevertheless, there’s no denying that we’re still in a lower gear here, and the show better learn how to parcel out its world-building exposition into smaller and more natural-sounding increments soon.

I feel like a show that’s all about people trying to suppress their baser instincts wouldn’t have characters so eager to open up so plainly about their motivations to new co-workers… but maybe that’s just anime for you?

I keep looking for any sort of threads connecting this to MADOKA MAGICA (in consideration of the common scriptwriter) and I do remember a large chunk of that series’ second episode centered on the cast just kind-of sitting around for a long teatime chat about the nature of Magical Girls, witches, grief seeds and everything else in that world. So perhaps there’s hope that PSYCHO PASS will shake this off by the next episode?

Even if it doesn’t, I feel like I’m going to stick with the show anyway and, in the spirit of the subject matter, I’m becoming a little more self-aware about why I’m giving this show a pass for the same offenses that I’ve so sharply flagged ponderous cyberpunk like TEXHNOLYZE and GHOST IN THE SHELL (the movie) for. Perhaps it simply comes down to the topics being pondered upon?

As I mentioned last time, I have something of a personal connection to the premise here, so I’m more willing to listen to long discussions about vocation choices, role assignments and the various angles of the enduring wrestling matches between nature and nurture. That stuff has a firmer basis in real human experience, by my estimation; while the various conjectures about the nature of identity, vis a vis "man vs. machine," always seemed like abstractions piled upon abstractions.

Maybe the fact that I’m even playing such thoughts out here and having a hearty discussion (with myself, anyway) makes up for anything lacking PSYCHO-PASS?

Watch this episode, "Those Capable” here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Marshal Victory (2,087 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Err ya got this as PSYCHO-PASS #1 - - Watch & Learn an its the second episode... it threw ya that hard huh?That said it world builds a bit more than most 1st 3 shows.But its building more than world for the show as youll see as it goes on.

Post by Aleasha (1,430 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Yeah I had to make myself go back for the first couple episodes due to these very same things but then I thought of what they could do with it and came back now that its more into the drive behind some of the characters I think its widening out a bit not to say they don't still have several scenes with the characters sitting around explaining stuff because there is still a lot of that.

From a psychological stand point which has been a love of mine since I was 14 and read my first book written by a Profiler its intriguing and the twist and turns of human psych and machine are big attraction points for me. I only hope it continues to improve as it has been steadily.

On another note and this is something I just noticed people in this anime are constantly encouraged to let out there emotions because holding them in could muddy your pass so perhaps the over sharing with co workers could be put down to a society that has been groomed and taught to share like that for fear of the muddy pass and while the Enforcers already have muddy psycho pass's it wasn't always that way and they where raised in the same society.

Post by Sonata (35,308 posts) See mini bio Level 20
This looks like an interesting show, I'll give it a try.

@Aleasha: Show seems to get pretty heavy on profiler aspect.You notice only the criminals smoke?The happy faced robo illusions to question people to ease their emotions?Looks like something Geof Darrow would do from Hard Boiled #1

@Marshal Victory: I hadn't noticed the smoking but the society as a whole is geared towards human happiness as based on a machines examination so I can see the dressing up to question going along with that be it slightly different than I would have thought but a some what original idea in this context.

@Aleasha: Im not sure how much is ment as a play on things .Or how much is just a cigar so to speek.With C - CONTROL we get the idea or are given ideas its about much more.With Psycho-Pass i see more layers that could be considered political than probably ment to be.I can see a slavery angle with the hounds as well as second class citizens.The show paints with a broader brush deeper in the series.

Even a neet discussion of what is good an evil for civilzation as a whole.At what cost do we pay for peace ? how much freadom do you give up for security?Worse yet how healthy can it be controling your emotions in that world.I adimit this episode was not as grabing as the 1st but this series builds in. um Dexter ways....cough hint cough.

This series an Jormungand this season have had more posible biger ideas in them.I would also say Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster has broader ideas to about fate an time .as well as logic.

@Sonata: If you dont like it you can blame me for over hyping it.

@Marshal Victory: I would say about episode 7 things get truly interesting and a lot more to talk about I am trying not to get ahead of the article to much lol but you bring up some good points and there is a lot of political themes from what we have seen so far.

Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I'm 9 episodes deep in this right now, and while it's not Madoka level it is still pretty good. Sort of an Equilibrium (Minority Report-y Christian Bale action flick)/Ghost in the Shell mashup from what I can tell. Feels like it wants to be a 24-26 episode series given the pace so far, though, and I think it's only slotted for 12? Will be interesting to see how things wrap up in the last three or so episodes.

Post by zaldar (1,247 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Interesting maybe the reason I like tex and ghost in the shell so much is that the nature of identity has always interested me as I spent a long time questioning mine. There probably is gist for a longer conversation about how personal experience fits into what anime you like or dislike here.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel