Nuzlocke Challenge Part #01: Between a Brock and a Hard Place

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on April 17, 2013. Last post by Jlynnana 1 year, 3 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,181 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Introduction

I'm a big fan of Pokémon and it was a huge part of my childhood, but I haven't played any Pokémon games in a while. Don't get me wrong, I still love Pokémon and the games but they don't quite grab my attention like they used to. And to be honest, they've never been very challenging.

There is, however, a way to make the Pokémon games more challenging. I'm sure some of you have heard of the Nuzlocke Challenge, for those of you who haven't, it's a set of self-imposed rules to increase the difficulty. Here are the core rules:

• Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.
  • The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.

These rules make the game more challenging, deepens the bonds with your Poképals, and forces you to use Pokémon you normally wouldn't. You can get the full details on the "Nuzlocke Challenge" here.

My Rules

I will be playing Pokémon LeafGreen. Here is the full list of rules I'll be adhering to:

Note: these rules do not come into play until the player has Poké Balls and can catch Pokémon! Then it's on, bitchez!

• Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released stored in the PC permanently.
  • The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.
    - Exception 1: If the player has no Pokémon that can use a certain field move that is required to continue through any given point of the game, they may catch another Pokémon that can learn said field move. However, it cannot be used in battle for any reason, and must be released, permanently boxed, or migrated as soon as the player gets another Pokémon that can use said field move.
    - Exception 2: If the player runs into a Shiny Pokémon on the incredibly rare chance, the player may still catch it, regardless of whether or not it is the first encounter in the area.
  • The player must nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.
  • A black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.
  • Starter Pokémon is based off your Trainer ID number. If the last number is 1-3 the player starts with a Grass type, 4-6 is Fire type, 7-9 is Water type, 0 is the player's choice.
  • Master Balls may NOT be used.
  • Legendary Pokémon may NOT be caught.

I'll be doing one more thing to make it even more interesting; all of my Pokémon will be named after Anime Vice users! You could be on my team in Pokémon form! Now then, lets see what happens...

Part 01: Between a Brock and a Hard Place

I dub thee: TAKA!
I dub thee: TAKA!
Okay, so, according to the rules, my choice of starter Pokémon depends on the last number of my Trainer ID. My ID is 07463, which means my starter Pokémon must be... Bulbasaur! I decided to name him TAKA, after - I consider him my "partner in crime" on Anime Vice (I'm not really sure what I mean by that, either) so it only seemed right to name my first Pokémon partner after him. Right, this is already off to an interesting start - I normally pick the fire-type starter. Now I just have to make sure little TAKA never loses a battle! No pressure, right? We took Gary's Charmander down with ease.
Easily won his first battle.
Easily won his first battle.
You're mine, Rattata...
You're mine, Rattata...
After grabbing the free potions from the PC and the guy on Route 1, delivering Oak's parcel from the PokéMart, and receiving my first Poké Balls, the Nuzlocke Challenge truly began. Who would my first wild Pokémon be? Pidgey? Rattata? Suddenly there's so much more pressure when walking through tall grass. Playing with Nuzlocke rules really does make the game a different experience, even in these early stages... it's a Rattata! It was easily captured, and I can never catch another Pokémon on Route 1 again. Despite the gender, I named her FOXX, after .
Hope you don't mind being a female Rattata!
Hope you don't mind being a female Rattata!
Lets do this, FOXX!
Lets do this, FOXX!
After arriving in Viridian City, I knew Gary was waiting for me on Route 22; the route between Viridian City and the Pokémon League, which I won't be challenging for a good while yet. I could continue on to Viridian Forest and ignore my rival, but where's the fun in that? Cue the Rocky training montage; it was time for some grinding! To play it safe, I aimed to get TAKA and FOXX to level 12 before challenging Gary. This took a little while...
TAKA and FOXX are PUMPED!
TAKA and FOXX are PUMPED!
Gary stood no chance...
Gary stood no chance...
Tall grass, reveal your secrets...
Tall grass, reveal your secrets...
On Route 22 and Route 2 the first Pokémon I encountered were Rattata, so I chose not to catch them. I was hoping for a Mankey or a Pidgey, but no luck. The Forest was another matter though, I knew several kinds of bug Pokémon waited within, and if I was really lucky, maybe even a Pikachu. I took a deep breath, and walked into the grass... it was a Metapod! Another easy catch, I decided to call him VISIONZ, after . My team was growing!
Prepare to be captured, Metapod!
Prepare to be captured, Metapod!
Woo!
Woo!
During my trek through the forest I sent VISIONZ out first, then called him back and defeated enemy Pokémon with TAKA and FOXX. This shared the EXP with VISIONZ and it wasn't long before he evolved! My first Pokémon evolution, a joyous occasion indeed. As a Butterfree, VISIONZ started learning new moves including Confusion and Sleep Powder, earning his place on my team.
Congrats sickVisionz; you're a beautiful butterfly!
Congrats sickVisionz; you're a beautiful butterfly!
My little TAKA's growing up...
My little TAKA's growing up...
Continuing to play it safe, I decided to do some more grinding. I aimed to get my three Pokébuddies to level 15 before challenging the Pewter City Gym Leader. I'm not taking any risks this early on. I defeated Brock's underling with ease, and got enough EXP for TAKA to evolve! It was time...
We're ready for you, Brock!
We're ready for you, Brock!

Gym Battle!

It was a slow battle between FOXX and Geodude... until I landed a critical hit with Hyper Fang, finishing him off! As Onix came out I switched to TAKA. I began by using Leech Seed, an early counter-tactic against Onix' Bind attack. This wasn't necessary though, as Onix was defeated with just one Vine Whip attack! VICTORY!
And then I visited the museum:
Wow, thanks, I never would have guessed...
Wow, thanks, I never would have guessed...
Onward! More adventures await us!
Onward! More adventures await us!

Current Team

Name: TAKA
Species: Ivysaur
Level: 16
Moves
TackleVine Whip
Leech SeedPoison Powder
Name: FOXX
Species: Rattata
Level: 15
Moves
Quick AttackTackle
Tail WhipHyper Fang
Name: VISIONZ
Species: Butterfree
Level: 15
Moves
ConfusionSleep Powder
Poison PowderStun Spore

Travel Journal

• Route 1 - Encountered a Rattata. Caught it, named it "FOXX"
  • Route 22 - Encountered a Rattata. Defeated it.
  • Route 2 - Encountered a Rattata. Defeated it.
  • Viridian Forest - Encountered a Metapod. Caught it, named it "VISIONZ"

The Adventure Continues...

What kind of Pokémon will I catch next? Who will I name it after?! Will I continue to be victorious, or will my luck start to run out? Find out next time!

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,063 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Me and a friend did this a year ago. It was on FireRed/LeafGreen. He never got past the Viridian Forest. His team kept dying. Because of the trainer I am in this game. I get to level 20 before I get to the 1st Gym. Before I get to the 3rd gym, on FR/LG I can get my Pokémon team to level 50. VS Seeker bitches! So naturally, by the time I got to the last gym leader. My team were on level 80. BaBOOM. I just kill this game. Especially the older ones. I know almost everything about them.

@Supreme Marvel: Jesus. Sounds like they need to make an entirely new set of rules to make it hard for you. I don't know if I have the patience to level up that much before each Gym.

Post by Acura_Max (2,322 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

This is a great idea. I should try this out when pokemon x and y are released. Anyway, this was a great read. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Post by takashichea (10,949 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Weird, I was tweeting on ideas on Twitter, and replied to me. Now, this is a cool idea.

Despite how I'm busy, I can devote 3 hours in the weekend. Instead of Leafgreen and Emerald, I decide to go with Sapphire. I never played that one. Should be a bit different from Emerald.

The one question I have is how did you get those shots of the game. I shouldn't asked that because there is only way I think of. I'll just use my camera.

@takashichea: I don't mind saying I'm playing it on an emulator; I'd think that much is obvious.

Anyway, glad you like the idea. I'll do my best not to let your Pokémon counterpart faint! Hopefully we'll defeat the Pokémon League together!

Post by takashichea (10,949 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Ivysaur won't died that easy especially when you're facing Misty then Lt. Surge. You still have the type advantage.

I'm looking at Sapphire's gyms since it's been like 5 years since I played Emerald. Though, Sapphire is going to a bit different. Luckily, the Hoenn starters are good.

• Roxanne (Rock) - Geodude and Nosepass
  • Brawly (Fighting) - Machop and Makuhita

It's a good thing there are Lotad, Wingull, and Tailow. Beautifly and Dustox will get squished, but they will serve as buffer against Brawly.

@Supreme Marvel:

You're lucky you have a vs seeker. In Hoenn, I think we had a Poke Navigator which is not that useful. You can't even use frequently as the VS seeker.

Post by sickVisionz (4,234 posts) See mini bio Level 24

That Buttefree seems pretty boss if I may say so myself. I also like that it seems like he has no real attacks. He just hangs out in the back, chills out with pharmaceuticals, and his main contribution seems to be essentially getting the other team so hopped up on goofballs that they can't fight anymore. This is shockingly accurate and I hope he remains an oddly vital member of your team.

@takashichea said:

Ivysaur won't died that easy especially when you're facing Misty then Lt. Surge. You still have the type advantage.

Well I guess picking the grass starter is generally considered the easier option. Still, I need to be careful, if I like TAKA faint just once he's dead!

@sickVisionz said:

That Buttefree seems pretty boss if I may say so myself. I also like that it seems like he has no real attacks. He just hangs out in the back, chills out with pharmaceuticals, and his main contribution seems to be essentially getting the other team so hopped up on goofballs that they can't fight anymore. This is shockingly accurate and I hope he remains an oddly vital member of your team.

That's the best description of a bug Pokémon I think I've ever heard. Don't worry, I believe VISIONZ will be a key player as I trudge through Mt. Moon.

Post by Jlynnana (3,293 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I got to Green with One Pokemon and lost horribly lol

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel