The Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh of Disease

Topic started by No_name_here on April 29, 2010. Last post by XChile 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Imagine this erupting out of your Pokeball.
 Imagine this erupting out of your Pokeball.

First we saw a Pokemon-inspired card game devised to make learning about the animal kingdom fun…. now, we see a similar card game designed to make learning about bacteria and diseases… well, fun. Why battle against Charmander with your Pokeball when you can battle the “fiery colonic demon” Enterococcus faecalis? That question is answered in graphic, fantastically-illustrated detail with Healing Blade, a card game devised by Nerdcore Learning that’s equal parts Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and D&D ( according to the Wall Street Journal).  Players are asked to choose the side of diseases or antibiotics, then see which one comes out on top in mortal combat. The conceit of the game is meant to teach students the complexities of choosing disease-specific prescriptions.

You know, I think there’s such a thing as being too creative sometimes. I can’t help recalling a photo slideshow about venereal disease I had to bear witness to in sophomore health class… because the horrific images will forever be burned into my mind’s eye!  As unpleasant as that was, I can imagine that it would've been even more comfortable if a collectible card game like this was used to help me learn about it. Ewwww…

I also have to comment that the “horrifically real” Pokemon we showed earlier looked very much like diseases already.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Tom_Pinchuk:  Yu-Gi-Oh card game is not a less innocent version of the Pokemon card game its a more child friendly version of Magic The Gathering!
In fact IMO both are still rip-offs of that original game :P
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Kelleth: the more child friendly game of Magic is actually Duel Master...

there's one game in japan arcade that uses card , i forgot what the hell it is though, but apparently it's very gritty
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@cfatalis said:
" @Kelleth: the more child friendly game of Magic is actually Duel Master...   there's one game in japan arcade that uses card , i forgot what the hell it is though, but apparently it's very gritty "
Ganbaride and Diceoh
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Kelleth said:
" @cfatalis said:
" @Kelleth: the more child friendly game of Magic is actually Duel Master...   there's one game in japan arcade that uses card , i forgot what the hell it is though, but apparently it's very gritty "
Ganbaride and Diceoh "
no i found out it was Lord of Vermillion
Post by yami0204 (4 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I found myself looking through some of the card samples on the site and completely geeking out.  The Enterococcus family seems to be all lords of the undead, which is really cool, and E. coli's card monster is just perfect for it.  This card game would have been a great help during my immunology and microbiology classes, but only as a tool for remembering what antibiotic can overcome what microorganism.  It could never replace actually seeing the organism under a microscope or being able to grow and manipulate organisms in a lab setting.

It'd be a fun exercise, though, and now I totally want it, but Amazon says it's currently unavailable. ;_;
Post by Halberdierv2 (1,288 posts) See mini bio Level 17
enterocoocus faecalis? meh, ive seen scarier.
Post by Naruto79 (58 posts) See mini bio Level 3
Hey... wha'eva works!!! :oP
Post by XChile (115 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Best f3cking idea ever.
Post by Sorantheman (105 posts) See mini bio Level 19

I can't wait untill I get my hands on the super-rare-awesome AIDS card XD
Post by XChile (115 posts) See mini bio Level 4
@Sorantheman:  thats so horribly funnny hehe.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel