Pokémon Trading Card Game Club

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 4, 2013. Last post by Kelleth 3 days, 8 hours ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,296 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@takashichea: Sorry if we're pressuring you dude. I wasn't much of a card player either. It feels more like the Pokémon games to me, but more advanced, which is nice because I think one of the reasons I barely play the games any more is because the battles are too simple. The Pokémon TCG is complex enough to feel challenging, but not too complicated. The more I dig into it the more interesting it gets.

I wouldn't tell you about it if I didn't think you'd like it. But if you don't that's okay :D

Post by Acura_Max (2,431 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I'm starting to notice that this card is becoming quite popular and I can certainly see why. If you get this card on your first turn with a double colorless, you can really set yourself up in terms of bench pokemon and offense.

@Acura_Max: Which is exactly why I currently have 4 in my deck :P

Got another player using the round deck strategy. It seems to be getting really popular in the past few days.

If you think this is bad, it got worse as the match got on. By the ending he was doing 300 damage with a single attack.

Well, I figured out why everyone has the Round deck strategy. If you remember the Rallying Cry Theme Deck that everyone got from entering the Plasmastorm code, you will remember that most of the pokemon in that deck had the round attack and that it had a Kangaskhan card in it. It looks like it was done on purpose to help all the new players sink their teeth into the game.

So, I looked into my collection and I noticed that I had all the cards for the deck. I did a couple matches and it was a pretty solid deck.

Pros:

I can do the big damage too!
I can do the big damage too!
  • Great damage
  • Cards needed to build the deck are easy to obtain
  • Great deck for beginners

Cons:

Team Jigglypuff!
Team Jigglypuff!
  • Needs a bit of time to set up. Especially if you don't get Kangaskhan on the first turn.
  • Not good enough to beat most people on the expert level.
More big damage!
More big damage!

@Acura_Max: The problem with Exploud is it's a stage 2 Pokémon and it's Round attack costs way too much energy.

Here's a much better Round deck, if you're interested:

I found a small glitch today on the TCG. For some reason, this keeps coming up. Whenever I attack, a Vanilluxe card with my Skarmary, my pokemon only inflicts normal damage even though Vanilluxe is weak against steel types. My other steel pokemon do double damage against Vanilluxe, but not my Skarmary. It's weird because it only happens with this match up. So far, it has happened at least 3 times.

@Acura_Max: Bugs like that usually get fixed in one of the monthly (I think the big updates are monthly) patches, so if it's a known issue it will probably be fixed soon.

The Top Cut have been posting some really helpful "Beginner Deck" videos on YouTube that are definitely worth checking out. They explain the strategies behind some of the most powerful decks in the format.

Playlist here.

Latest Legendary Treasures pack:

Was hoping for a Mewtwo EX but I'll take what I can get!

@Daniel_Newton: Lucky! For some reason, EX cards have been avoiding me like the plague.

@Acura_Max: If only you could buy "random EX card" from the store or something. By the way, any idea if Round decks have been nerfed? I thought decks using that attack were supposed to be able to do huge amounts of damage, but from what I can tell the maximum is 120. I swear I saw a YouTube video with a Round attack hitting upwards of 300 damage, but I can't figure out how. Unless both players were using Round decks and it counts your opponents' Pokémon as well, I guess.

If the normal maximum is 120 damage, I don't understand why it's a popular deck. I've been demolishing Round decks easily and my deck is still nothing compared to the top tier stuff.

@Daniel_Newton: You must be talking about the Exploud. That card does 50 damage for each card that has the round attack. Maybe the round deck was nerfed. That would explain why I have not seen anyone using it recently. If it is nerfed, it's probably for the best. When I was using my round deck, every other battle was basically, a contest to see who can bring out their Exploud first. It gets pretty dull if every battle is like that.

@Acura_Max: Okay I think I know what's going on. Looks like different Pokémon do different damage with Round. In my last match I went up against mostly Wigglytuff and they do 20x but Meloetta does 30x and Exploud does 50x unless it was nerfed. Apparently people use Silver Bangle to increase the damage a bit more, so that's how you get the 300+ hits I guess.

I might check later to see if I have enough attackers to build a decent Round deck.

@Acura_Max: Dude have you seen the Mega Venasaur and Mega Blastoise cards? I want them sooooo bad!

They have crazy HP, only one attack, and Mega Evolving ends your turn. I'm not sure how viable they are, but boy are they cool.

@Daniel_Newton:

Those cards are insane! That Crisis Vine from that Mega Venusaur would destroy me. I would hate to see that paired up with a Virbank Gym card. Did you see the new EX versions of their previous evolutions? I heard rumors that Mega Pokemon can only evolve from EX. So, the pokemon company have also released EX versions of Venusaur and Blastoise. And the thing is, both of the newly released cards are basic pokemon, which would make their mega evolution alot more usable.

Source

You can see the full image of the new EX cards here.

@Acura_Max said:

That Crisis Vine from that Mega Venusaur would destroy me. I would hate to see that paired up with a Virbank Gym card.

Okay, yeah, now I can imagine Mega Venasaur in a deck. Mega Venasaur + Virbank City Gym + Hypnotoxic Laser could be a pretty powerful combo.

Did you see the new EX versions of their previous evolutions? I heard rumors that Mega Pokemon can only evolve from EX. So, the pokemon company have also released EX versions of Venusaur and Blastoise. And the thing is, both of the newly released cards are basic pokemon, which would make their mega evolution alot more usable.

Yeah I saw them. I assumed it was a given that Megas could only evolve from EX cards, but I guess we don't know for sure. Can we play 4 regular cards and 4 EX cards of the same Pokémon? If you could then you could potentially have 8 Pokémon to evolve from in the same deck, that sounds kinda crazy.

Finally got another EX, seems pretty decent, not sure if I'll use it though. Got some interesting Supporters, too.

@Daniel_Newton: Somebody's been getting lucky! Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been working hard on my finals.

Here's what I got in my last three packs (I only have pictures for two packs since the third one is not worth talking about) In the first pack, I got one ex card (Shaymin EX) and of those toad cards with the round attack. This means that I have 3 Shaymin EXs in my collection. But so far, this Shaymin EX is my prettiest Shaymin yet.

For my third pack, I got one of those fancy third stage EX cards (Chandelure EX). All in all, it's not bad.

Lately, I've been avoiding Pokemon Trading Card game in favor of the hottest thing in trading card games: Hearthstone. Initially I was tired of the way Pokemon capped the amount of tokens you can get at 25 coins a day unless you buy them with real money. With Hearthstone, you can get as many coins as you want per day provided that you win 3 matches for every 10 coins. Best of all, you can do that as many times can you want. Sounds great right? Well, not really. Here's the catch. In the early part of the beta, players don't know what to do with the game and our just feeling for the mechanics. As the Beta goes on, people figure out how to play the game. And as more people get better and better, the weaker players stop playing the game because they no longer get anything out of it. For example, I just played about 6 matches and out of those 6 matches, I only won one match. Guess what? No coins for me. There's simply nothing to keep weaker players like me from going on. Sure, there's quests to boost your coin total, but you still need to win a game. Hopefully, once the game gets released for real, it would be more fun to play. Right now, since it's in beta, there's no pool of new people to stop the above from happening. With pokemon, I know that I'm going to at least get something at the end of a game whether I win or not.

These card descriptions are so meta!
These card descriptions are so meta!

@Acura_Max: I feel too invested in Pokémon to really check out anything else (though a friend of mine is coming over some time to show me how to play Magic, and I'll show her how to play Pokémon) but it's interesting to see online card games becoming more popular lately.

You get a token for every expert match you win or lose, 3 if you beat an opponent who has the advantage (it tells you who has the advantage before the match starts) provided each match lasts at least five minutes, so you can certainly make more than 25 tokens a day. I think I usually make 30 or so. Of course it gets much more interesting when you buy some real cards and get trade-able cards from the booster pack codes. I got a Deoxys EX tin for Christmas and bought myself another tin shortly after (the tins are really cool, great for storing lots of cards) so I have more cards to trade with now. I've been pimping out my deck with reverse holo cards. Oh, and I traded a spare EX card for a World Championships 2013 deck box and sleeves, they look awesome.

Check out my bling ;P
Check out my bling ;P
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel