Pokémon Trading Card Game Club

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 4, 2013. Last post by Daniel_Newton 6 days, 3 hours ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,183 posts) See mini bio Level 20

New Expansion: XY!

So a bunch of big changes happened to the Pokémon TCG recently. Firstly, the XY expansion was released, here's the official ad video:

Some Notable Cards

• Yveltal EX - an insanely powerful card which basically has Mewtwo EX's X-Ball attack plus an additional 20 damage on top.
  • Yveltal - a powerful basic Pokémon that goes well with Yveltal EX in a deck.
  • Of course Venusaur EX, Mega Venusaur EX, Blastoise EX, and Mega Blastoise EX are in this set, but I don't know if people have figured out good decks for them yet.
  • Professor's Letter - basically a double energy search.
  • Muscle Band - like the card that lets Dark Pokémon do 20 extra damage per attack, but for any Pokémon.
  • Evosoda - lets you search your deck for the evolution of one of your Pokémon in play and evolve it.
  • Red Card - makes your opponent shuffle their hand into thier deck and draw 4 cards. Great when your opponent has a big hand of cards.

The full list with all the details can be found here.

Huge TCG Online Update!

The online game has been completely revamped. It was super buggy when the update first came out, but it's been patched and now the game, for the most part, is better than ever.

Good changes I've noticed

• The game used WAY LESS system resources now. Runs so much better.
  • The login screen doesn't jump around between fullscreen and windowed any more, it stays at what you set the game to.
  • The UI has been completely revamped and looks much nicer.
  • You now see all current public trade offers. The ones relevant to you appear at the top of the list.
  • "Beginner" and "Expert" in online versus mode have been replaced with "Practice" and "Ranked"
  • The playmat and game view have been changed. Cards are now easier to see.
  • When you draw more than one card, they're now drawn all at once instead of individually.
  • Chat, friends, and messages have been moved to a hideable menu on the left side of the screen.
  • The menu from the home screen can be accessed from a hideable menu on the right side of the screen.
  • The way the game renders cards has been changed. Instead of dynamically rendering them each time, it uses images.
  • The holo/shiny effects on the cards are rendered differently and many have been corrected.
  • Matchmaking was really buggy/slow before, now you get into matches super fast!

Changes to adjust to

• At first I HATED the new playmat/game view, but after a day or two I've become quite fond of it. Give it a chance!
  • Drawing cards is faster, but the card animations are now slower. I turned them off and it makes the game really fast-paced, which is nice.
  • Because cards are images now, they aren't altered (HP increase, etc.) when trainer cards or abilities are in use. At first this bummed me out, then I realized that's how it is in real life, and making sure you keep an eye on all the cards and effects during the game probably isn't a bad thing.
  • Also when you see a card for the first time, the game has to download the image for it. After playing for a while you'll have most cards downloaded already.

Bad changed I've noticed

• The chat menu takes up too much space in a match to have it open all the time, so you have to check it to see if your opponent's said anything.
  • The size of the deck doesn't change. You could have 1 card but it looks like a full deck, so keep your eye on it. Hopefully they'll fix this.
  • The coin flip at the beginning of a match is silent. Probably just a bug.

So, now that I've typed way too much text, here are some screenshots I took:

It takes a while to adjust but overall it's a huge improvement, see you online!

Post by xlab3000 (1,393 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Man I haven't played the game in months. I'll play it this weekend. I want those new cards.

Post by xlab3000 (1,393 posts) See mini bio Level 10

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Daniel_Newton: Hi, Do you still want that old base set Charizard of mine? Well I just remembered I should have done that ages ago! Sorry! xD PM the adress so I can ship it :D

@Kelleth: Sure, thanks man that's really kind of you. Good to see you online here again :)

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Daniel_Newton: Your welcome. I'll send it as soon as i can walk normally again xD

Hey, if you're in the UK I have a few cards up on ebay you can bid on. I'm playing with the idea of starting up my own card shop online so I'm testing the waters first. There's probably nobody on here who's interested but if you are I'd appreciate any bids :)

@Daniel_Newton said:

Hey, if you're in the UK I have a few cards up on ebay you can bid on. I'm playing with the idea of starting up my own card shop online so I'm testing the waters first. There's probably nobody on here who's interested but if you are I'd appreciate any bids :)

Bidding will be over in less than half an hour for anyone interested!

In other news I won my first online tournament yesterday, got me 4 tradeable Flashfire booster packs! And I won another pack for coming third or forth in another tournament. Tempted to open them but I think I'll save them and maybe trade for some super rares when I need them.

Post by Acura_Max (2,326 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Daniel_Newton: @Kelleth: BEHOLD! Pokemon trading card game is heading to the Ipad. Today, a "representative from The Pokémon Company" has confirmed with Polygon that the game is finally coming to ios. The below image was recently posted by Josh Wittenkeller on Twitter and was also confirmed to be real by said pokemon representative. No word on when it will happen, but this might mean that I'll start playing again.

@Acura_Max: Oh sweet, I've always thought it would be perfect for tablets. Hopefully it'll make it's way to Android too, since it's a free-to-play game.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for ages but I've been completely absorbed in buying and selling Pokémon cards on ebay. I've gotten pretty good at it now, I'm making higher profits each week while stockpiling more cards at the same time (and keeping some for myself because perks). Shouldn't be long before I have my own ebay shop and some time after that, a proper registered business.

Anyway, the online game has improved a lot! The matchmaking is much faster (usually almost instant for me), it's much less buggy and it actually has battle music now. Though I sometimes play the battle tracks from the original Pokémon anime soundtracks instead, for a little variety. The tournaments are really cool too, you can earn a lot of free (unlocked/tradable!) booster packs for competing. You also get a spin on a prize wheel after every match. You usually get bonus tokens (I've had anywhere between 1 and 25 at a time) but you can get single cards, coins, and other stuff too.

XY Furious Fists (Rising Fist in Japan) is the new expansion after XY Flashfire. It came out just a few days ago. Here's a badass Japanese ad for it:

I'll have to take some photos of some of my new cards and post them here. I've started collecting original Japanese cards now, I have Charizard and Venusaur, so I really need a Blastoise!

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel