Pokémon Trading Card Game Club

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 4, 2013. Last post by Daniel_Newton 1 month, 1 week ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,250 posts) See mini bio Level 20

New Expansion: XY!

So a bunch of big changes happened to the Pokémon TCG recently. Firstly, the XY expansion was released, here's the official ad video:

Some Notable Cards

• Yveltal EX - an insanely powerful card which basically has Mewtwo EX's X-Ball attack plus an additional 20 damage on top.
  • Yveltal - a powerful basic Pokémon that goes well with Yveltal EX in a deck.
  • Of course Venusaur EX, Mega Venusaur EX, Blastoise EX, and Mega Blastoise EX are in this set, but I don't know if people have figured out good decks for them yet.
  • Professor's Letter - basically a double energy search.
  • Muscle Band - like the card that lets Dark Pokémon do 20 extra damage per attack, but for any Pokémon.
  • Evosoda - lets you search your deck for the evolution of one of your Pokémon in play and evolve it.
  • Red Card - makes your opponent shuffle their hand into thier deck and draw 4 cards. Great when your opponent has a big hand of cards.

The full list with all the details can be found here.

Huge TCG Online Update!

The online game has been completely revamped. It was super buggy when the update first came out, but it's been patched and now the game, for the most part, is better than ever.

Good changes I've noticed

• The game used WAY LESS system resources now. Runs so much better.
  • The login screen doesn't jump around between fullscreen and windowed any more, it stays at what you set the game to.
  • The UI has been completely revamped and looks much nicer.
  • You now see all current public trade offers. The ones relevant to you appear at the top of the list.
  • "Beginner" and "Expert" in online versus mode have been replaced with "Practice" and "Ranked"
  • The playmat and game view have been changed. Cards are now easier to see.
  • When you draw more than one card, they're now drawn all at once instead of individually.
  • Chat, friends, and messages have been moved to a hideable menu on the left side of the screen.
  • The menu from the home screen can be accessed from a hideable menu on the right side of the screen.
  • The way the game renders cards has been changed. Instead of dynamically rendering them each time, it uses images.
  • The holo/shiny effects on the cards are rendered differently and many have been corrected.
  • Matchmaking was really buggy/slow before, now you get into matches super fast!

Changes to adjust to

• At first I HATED the new playmat/game view, but after a day or two I've become quite fond of it. Give it a chance!
  • Drawing cards is faster, but the card animations are now slower. I turned them off and it makes the game really fast-paced, which is nice.
  • Because cards are images now, they aren't altered (HP increase, etc.) when trainer cards or abilities are in use. At first this bummed me out, then I realized that's how it is in real life, and making sure you keep an eye on all the cards and effects during the game probably isn't a bad thing.
  • Also when you see a card for the first time, the game has to download the image for it. After playing for a while you'll have most cards downloaded already.

Bad changed I've noticed

• The chat menu takes up too much space in a match to have it open all the time, so you have to check it to see if your opponent's said anything.
  • The size of the deck doesn't change. You could have 1 card but it looks like a full deck, so keep your eye on it. Hopefully they'll fix this.
  • The coin flip at the beginning of a match is silent. Probably just a bug.

So, now that I've typed way too much text, here are some screenshots I took:

It takes a while to adjust but overall it's a huge improvement, see you online!

Post by xlab3000 (1,402 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Man I haven't played the game in months. I'll play it this weekend. I want those new cards.

Post by xlab3000 (1,402 posts) See mini bio Level 10

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Daniel_Newton: Hi, Do you still want that old base set Charizard of mine? Well I just remembered I should have done that ages ago! Sorry! xD PM the adress so I can ship it :D

@Kelleth: Sure, thanks man that's really kind of you. Good to see you online here again :)

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Daniel_Newton: Your welcome. I'll send it as soon as i can walk normally again xD

Hey, if you're in the UK I have a few cards up on ebay you can bid on. I'm playing with the idea of starting up my own card shop online so I'm testing the waters first. There's probably nobody on here who's interested but if you are I'd appreciate any bids :)

@Daniel_Newton said:

Hey, if you're in the UK I have a few cards up on ebay you can bid on. I'm playing with the idea of starting up my own card shop online so I'm testing the waters first. There's probably nobody on here who's interested but if you are I'd appreciate any bids :)

Bidding will be over in less than half an hour for anyone interested!

In other news I won my first online tournament yesterday, got me 4 tradeable Flashfire booster packs! And I won another pack for coming third or forth in another tournament. Tempted to open them but I think I'll save them and maybe trade for some super rares when I need them.

Post by Acura_Max (2,405 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Daniel_Newton: @Kelleth: BEHOLD! Pokemon trading card game is heading to the Ipad. Today, a "representative from The Pokémon Company" has confirmed with Polygon that the game is finally coming to ios. The below image was recently posted by Josh Wittenkeller on Twitter and was also confirmed to be real by said pokemon representative. No word on when it will happen, but this might mean that I'll start playing again.

@Acura_Max: Oh sweet, I've always thought it would be perfect for tablets. Hopefully it'll make it's way to Android too, since it's a free-to-play game.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for ages but I've been completely absorbed in buying and selling Pokémon cards on ebay. I've gotten pretty good at it now, I'm making higher profits each week while stockpiling more cards at the same time (and keeping some for myself because perks). Shouldn't be long before I have my own ebay shop and some time after that, a proper registered business.

Anyway, the online game has improved a lot! The matchmaking is much faster (usually almost instant for me), it's much less buggy and it actually has battle music now. Though I sometimes play the battle tracks from the original Pokémon anime soundtracks instead, for a little variety. The tournaments are really cool too, you can earn a lot of free (unlocked/tradable!) booster packs for competing. You also get a spin on a prize wheel after every match. You usually get bonus tokens (I've had anywhere between 1 and 25 at a time) but you can get single cards, coins, and other stuff too.

XY Furious Fists (Rising Fist in Japan) is the new expansion after XY Flashfire. It came out just a few days ago. Here's a badass Japanese ad for it:

I'll have to take some photos of some of my new cards and post them here. I've started collecting original Japanese cards now, I have Charizard and Venusaur, so I really need a Blastoise!

@Daniel_Newton: A certain trading card game just got an app on the ipad! And with this app comes a new trailer. I have tried downloading the app on my ipad mini, but the app does that it is "no longer available". It seems like the Pokemon Company is working on it still or they have some kinks to work out.

Good news: I was finally able to download the app and I even remembered my account information.

Bad news: The ipad app is still terribad. I can log into my account, but the app has some stability issues. I often find myself logging in only to be kicked out because the app had crashed. The app currently sits at about 3 stars in the app store and it appears many others have the same issues. I hope this gets fixed soon. Also, the load screen that appears before the login screen is a bit long.

Post by takashichea (13,862 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Acura_Max:

Many things aren't working with IPADs and those touch screen, mobile devices. I was never interested in those devices. Plus, they are expensive than laptops. I haven't purchased a new one after giving away my older one to my younger sister.

@takashichea: Hearthstone was able to work on the ipad when it was introduced to the app store. And even if you discount the fact that Hearthstone was designed for the ipad, don't you think its a bit sloppy to have your app not working on its launch day. For some people, this could be their first introduction to the card game and could possibly turn people away from trying the game.

Post by takashichea (13,862 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Acura_Max:

I agree, it's bad especially for new customers who haven't tried it. As I recall, the more platforms you have, the wider your net in marketing will be. I hope they send a "patch" or something for the IPAD fans. I don't recall Nintendo ever doing things in the mobile device realm. I recall Sony jumping in it with their Final Fantasy games for phones and IPADs.

There was a rip off of Yoshi game on the IPAD. I can't remember the name.

It's been 4 days since the app was released and I still can't play it on my ipad. Right now, the game has been in maintenance for about 1-2 days. So, there's that.

@Acura_Max: I'm sure they'll get the ipad version running smoothly eventually. The PC version was buggy for a long time but it's really solid now, it can't be easy porting to completely different hardware. If I had an ipad I'd definitely check it out, it's an ideal game for a tablet. If they ever release an Android version that'd be awesome.

My ebay stuff is going really well. I'm buying and selling hundreds of cards while keeping some of the really cool stuff so my collection keeps getting bigger and better. Bought a case of 9 EX tins recently, which was pretty crazy, there are now 9 fresh empy tins on my shelf in their store display box. I'm aiming to get another case when the Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise EX tins finally come out on the 15th, and then there's some really cool stuff coming out after those. I'm particularly excited about the Hoenn Collection Boxes and the Mega Metagross EX Premium Collection. You can check them all out here.

@Daniel_Newton: I found out why it kept crashing. If I had read the first line of the description, it says that the app only supports retina display ipad. That means that the Pokemon Company has no intention of supporting old ipads. It's a shame since my ipad is only like 1-2 years old. And since my pokemon game on my desktop is glitching as well, this recent developed as really killed my interest in the game. So, I'll be sticking with Hearthstone unless something big happens. I think an android version will come, but the Pokemon Company most likely have a deal with Apple to make the app exclusive to ios for a while. And if it is anything like hearthstone, this exclusivity will last quite a while. It's been months since Hearthstone has come to ipad, but they don't even have a release date for the android version.

My ebay stuff is going really well. I'm buying and selling hundreds of cards while keeping some of the really cool stuff so my collection keeps getting bigger and better. Bought a case of 9 EX tins recently, which was pretty crazy, there are now 9 fresh empy tins on my shelf in their store display box. I'm aiming to get another case when the Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise EX tins finally come out on the 15th, and then there's some really cool stuff coming out after those. I'm particularly excited about the Hoenn Collection Boxes and the Mega Metagross EX Premium Collection. You can check them all out here.

O_O Now that is alot of cards. Are you making a profit off this business?

@Acura_Max said:

my pokemon game on my desktop is glitching as well

Really? Mine's been great. Have you been on it recently or are you just recalling the last time you played? If it's the latter you should really give it another go and make sure you have the latest updates. Building up token is much quicker now since you get a bonus item at the end of every match you play, and it's usually extra tokens.

O_O Now that is alot of cards. Are you making a profit off this business?

Hah, I wouldn't still be doing it if I wasn't. I'd make more if I didn't keep any cards for myself of course but yeah, I'm doing pretty well. I could get myself registered as a proper business any time now and then I can start dealing with wholesalers and really go full-throttle with this thing but I'm comfortable staying as a private seller for a while longer, I'm not earning so much that the tax man will come after me just yet. I'm still learning a lot and I don't want to get ahead of myself. I actually noticed someone had stolen one of my photos today and used it on their listing (and even watermarked it as theirs) which a wasn't too happy about. I sent them a message but haven't had a reply, the listing ended anyway so hopefully they won't do it again.

But yeah, if nothing else it's made collecting the cards a hell of a lot easier than it would be otherwise, that's for sure :D I really should get around to taking some photos of the collection so far... I'm not even sure where to start.

@Daniel_Newton: Yeah. I've haven't been playing awhile, so I have update my client. But when I try to update my client, the patch just loops through the same patch. I've looked online and I was told by a message board to reinstall it. So, I've deleted everything but I'm a bit reluctant to download it again since the file is like 2 gigs and my internet download speeds are terrible.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel