Watch & Learn: REQUIEM FOR THE PHANTOM #2

Topic started by No_name_here on Feb. 3, 2011. Last post by haseo_yashimora 3 years, 6 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (855 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
 I get the sense that neither of these hepcats are ever going to heal up by dipping themselves in wax, though.
 I get the sense that neither of these hepcats are ever going to heal up by dipping themselves in wax, though.

O.K. This needs to be addressed before anything

What the hell was in that bad guy’s Jacuzzi? Wine? Beer? Piss? It seemed to be of a much more intensely golden hue than any underwater lights could accomplish. I didn’t think these scoundrels at Inferno were that intimidating before but - - good lord, man! - - a villain who bathes in (his victim's) urine is vastly more unhinged than your typical evil psycho. It makes that whole “It puts the lotion in the basket” ritual in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS look like a frivolous quirk by comparison.

Ugghh…

So out of all the shows I’ve been sampling from Funimation’s gift-package, this is one the you Anime Vice lunatics wanted to me feature next. The timing’s actually coincidental, because I’m picking this show up right after I finally got around to reading that comic, WANTED, which the Angelina Jolie movie was so loosely based off of. Last time, I noted some similarities the first episode shared with THE BOURNE IDENTITY and, this time, I can’t help but pick up some currents this shares with that outrageous tale of self-actualization through assassination. The lengthy marksmanship exercises conducted by a cute killer got me thinking on that line. Though, considering that the Killer’s desensitization process consisted of him killing dozens of animals a day in a slaughterhouse, you could say this takes the path of greater restraint.

Actually, I’ll add that I appreciated how this series actually acknowledges how long and mundane this sort of learning would actually be. Most training montages make it seem like the hero picks up some amazing skill set after only a few tries. This shows that such perfection requires the decidedly un-sexy patience to go out to a range every day and shoot at rocks for hours on end. 

Anyway, color me double-intrigued to see what happens next episode. Will we meet a character inevitably named Drei?

Watch this episode “Training,” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.  

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

Post by WarlordPayne (33 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I just noticed that Phantom was made by Bee Train.  This is at least their third anime involving teenage female assassins with amnesia, I think they need to stay the hell away from shows like this for a while. 

On Sacred Blacksmith you mentioned the gratuitous lingering shots on women's chests, this show has that one beat by a mile.  Outside of the couple breast jokes I didn't really notice it much in Blacksmith but I'll be damned if Phantom didn't focus on the characters' chests every time they were in a scene.  That crystal that one woman was wearing better be the key to the whole series with how much screen time it got. 

I liked Noir and loved .hack//Sign so I'll give this show a chance, but so far I'm pretty underwhelmed.
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20

The first couple eps are slow but things really pick up soon. The dub seems to drag on more than the sub but the dub doesn't sound bad. The animation is good, of course. You'll get into the story more as times goes, Tom. A number of twists and turns await you.

Post by metalsnakezero (670 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@sotyfan16 said:
"

You'll get into the story more as times goes, Tom. A number of twists and turns await you.

"
And man, what twist and turns they are, which makes sense since the Gen Urobuchi, who is known to make shows with no true happy moments and 
gruesome story-lines.
Post by fullmetalgeass (3 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Can you watch and learn Blood+?
Staff
@WarlordPayne said:
 On Sacred Blacksmith you mentioned the gratuitous lingering shots on women's chests, this show has that one beat by a mile.  Outside of the couple breast jokes I didn't really notice it much in Blacksmith but I'll be damned if Phantom didn't focus on the characters' chests every time they were in a scene.  That crystal that one woman was wearing better be the key to the whole series with how much screen time it got. 
Maybe I noticed it more there because the girl has an actual breast plate fitted to her boobs.  

While we're on the subject, don't you think that Zwei looks like he's wearing the same kind of sports bra as Ein? It doesn't look like a tank top
Staff
@sotyfan16 said:

The dub seems to drag on more than the sub but the dub doesn't sound bad.

Do they add dialog or material to the dub? Or it just feels slower to you?
Staff
@metalsnakezero said:
" @sotyfan16 said:
"

You'll get into the story more as times goes, Tom. A number of twists and turns await you.

"
And man, what twist and turns they are, which makes sense since the Gen Urobuchi, who is known to make shows with no true happy moments and  gruesome story-lines. "
Ha! From the very intro, I called that this a pretty morose show.
Staff
@fullmetalgeass said:
" Can you watch and learn Blood+? "
Nobody's brought that up before. What's it about. Is it online?
Post by sotyfan16 (1,341 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@Tom_Pinchuk:
From what I remember (I haven't watched the show since it came out) dialog isn't added it's just the matter of the talking seems slower in the dub. So, it could just be me. 

Blood+ is a vampire anime from FUNimation. You can find it on Netflix's Instant Watch along with a number of other FUNi titles (all in dub with no sub option). Personally, I think you would like to pick up another short series after Brotherhood. In which case I suggest Elfen Lied. I think you would have a good bit to talk about and it's only 13 eps with a lost 14th.
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Blood+ is a follow-up series to the (live action?) movie "Blood: the Last Vampire."  It's about a Korean(?) schoolgirl who gets turned into a vampire assassin.  As in "murderous bloodsucker," not as in "Buffy."
Post by vergilius (147 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@WarlordPayne said:

"I just noticed that Phantom was made by Bee Train.  This is at least their third anime involving teenage female assassins with amnesia, I think they need to stay the hell away from shows like this for a while."

Fourth?

Noir
Madlax
El Cazador De La Bruja

Although I don't remember if all of them feature amnesiacs...but all of them do seem to be playing theme and variations on "pair of female gunmen on a journey;" this time the variation is that one of the assassins is a man. 

Also given Bee Train's history, I imagine we can expect some supernatural elements to pop up in the last third of the show.

Also, I now have the Taco song form El Cazador stuck in my head.

Oh, and finally:
McGuire sounds like Kraft Lawrence faking a British accent.  This is probably because they're the same voice actor (J. Michael Tatum, who also did Kyoya in OHSHC, Isaac in Baccano, and Pedro in El Cazador) but I still keep expecting him to break his act and say something about how nice Holo's tail looks.
Post by haseo_yashimora (5,507 posts) See mini bio Level 14
i just started watching this on funimation im up to episode 4 till next Friday : / hate waiting but in my opinion its a ok anime
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel