Screw Twilight: 3 Million Copies of One Piece 57 Printed

Topic started by gia on March 2, 2010. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Comic Natalie reports that for volume 57 of One Piece, going on sale on March 4th (tomorrow, in Japan), Shueisha has printed 3 million copies to be sold-- the largest first print run for a manga ever. Actually, it's the largest first print run for a book ever; Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix comes in second place with a first print run of 2.9 million.

No cover has been released for #57 yet. Here, have #56's.
 No cover has been released for #57 yet. Here, have #56's.
That's insane! Can you imagine what you could do with 3 million manga? I could build a fort, and not some little kiddie fort, but an actual defensible fortress of solitude. Man, that would be sweet.

And this completely dwarfs the Twilight manga's print run at 350,000     -- which is still probably the biggest first print run for any manga in the US alone.     

SERIOUSLY. Three million books. It's going to take me a few minutes to get over this. Excuse me for a moment.
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25
That's kind of funny. Almost makes me think Shueisha said, "Well, Harry Potter printed 2.9. Let's one one them and go with a round 3 Million.".

Speaking of building things with manga. Have you ever seen the Mythbusters where they interlaced the pages of two phonebooks? It took two military tanks to rip them apart. Almost makes me wonder how strong two mangas interlaced would be. Then, times that by 3 Million!!
Post by JackSukeru (402 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Is that the cover, I'm intruiged that crocodile is it, I'm only at volume 49 or 50. ah, I can't wait to read more One Piece! 

Actually I can.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@RockmanBionics: Nope-- as per the caption, that's the cover for #56. I couldn't find a cover for #57. :)
Post by GodLen (877 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Staff
I'm proud to be a One Piece-ican.
Post by Magnificent (20 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I'm always amazed seeing how successful One Piece is. And it's popularity is still growing 57 volumes and 12 years in! I think the last volume was only like 2.6 million so this is a huge improvement on that. Almost makes me want to read it. LOL 

Volume 57 cover
Post by Kurohige (3,743 posts) See mini bio Level 19
I wish I could make a manga as successful as one piece, but I think that Foxxfireart can pull off something like like if he really wanted to I would like to see a manga from him.
Post by Fleonix (14 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I just Found the new Manga that im gong to start reading..........ONE PIECE
Post by OtakuVal (15 posts) See mini bio Level 1
All I can say is...''Why''...I mean, I used to read One Piece a long time ago...I still have a volume of it in my drawers that I need to pick up and read...it's has been close to a year since it's been sitting in there...The series is just boring to me now... Typical shounen series...nothing new or original...plus, I recently learned that they killed off one of my favorite characters...sure, he didn't appear a lot, but I still loved him darn it.
Post by karatekidx (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
And in 0th place, Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire with 4.8 million on it's first print run
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@gia said:
That's insane! Can you imagine what you could do with 3 million manga? I could build a fort, and not some little kiddie fort, but an actual defensible fortress of solitude. Man, that would be sweet.
Luckily the fort would be made of only one volume. Otherwise you might get bored and disassemble walls for reading material.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel